Main > The Round Table

Lets skip Middle Ages!

<< < (2/4) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
We learned a bit about Charlemagne. My brother knows kids in his class that don't know what "medieval" is. Its like telling a story like this "the knight heard that the princess was kidnaped. The knight married her and moved to Virginia". Where is that in between?

Sir Nate:
We didn't brush the subject in 7th grade. We learned about Christianity and the fall of Rome to end the year. I had been mad because I had already been a medieval nut, and knew I would have gotten good grades.
I till got good grades but I was diss appointed.
There also used to be a 7th grade p.a. Renfaire field trip.
But they got to do it due to us not learning about the rennasciance (I much at all) until later years.

Aiden of Oreland:
Do you guys believe that this period should be taught in more depth? Why or why not? Is it important? Why is learning the life of a gladiator more important that that of a knight?

Ian:
My experience was similar in high school and in college.  The middle ages happened.. that was about it.

Should they be taught?  It would be nice, but the consideration is then what doesn't get in taught in its place.  I dunno...

Sir Douglas:
I think there are a lot of important socio-policital aspects of the Middle Ages that would definitely help people understand how the world came to be where it is now. I know I've come to a much better understanding of human nature in general just from studying medieval history.

But things like what a groom of the stool is, how a trebuchet differs from a catapult, or the English longbowman's role in the Battle of Crecy is probably best left to more focused studies. I see elementary/middle/high school more as an "introduction to life". You learn to read, write, do math, and for the average student, that's about it. I certainly don't remember everything I learned from my school days. The real learning starts after school. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version