Main > The Round Table

My confusion on Men at Arms, and Knights.

<< < (9/9)

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2014-02-05, 15:24:33 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-02-04, 22:26:42 ---Back in the day, Terry Gilliam used to do series on the "History" channel called Medieval Lives. The "Knight" episode featured John Hawkwood. Not a nice guy!  You can find it pretty easily on YouTube.

ADDED:  Check out "1066" by David Howart for some good background on Huscarls.

--- End quote ---

Ah! I have 7 or 8 episodes of that but haven't seen it yet. I think I need to do so. Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Isn't terry Gilliam The animator for Monty python?
I know terry jones did a show like that.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-02-05, 18:40:09 ---Isn't terry Gilliam The animator for Monty python?

--- End quote ---

Yep, that's right.

Terry Jones did some sort of history show, and the episode he did on knights was an attempt to debunk the romanticized notion of a "knight in shining armor", but he went too far in the other direction. There were several flaws in his arguments, including somewhat misconstruing a quote from the Chretien de Troyes' version of the Lancelot story. But he was certainly correct that there were some downright awful knights in history.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-02-05, 18:55:20 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2014-02-05, 18:40:09 ---Isn't terry Gilliam The animator for Monty python?

--- End quote ---

Yep, that's right.

Terry Jones did some sort of history show, and the episode he did on knights was an attempt to debunk the romanticized notion of a "knight in shining armor", but he went too far in the other direction. There were several flaws in his arguments, including somewhat misconstruing a quote from the Chretien de Troyes' version of the Lancelot story. But he was certainly correct that there were some downright awful knights in history.

--- End quote ---

Ya, he was good as that old man in holy grail.
In the show many of his animations were really bizarre. I'm sure he may have been.
Ya I watched terry jones do a bit on gladiators and it was kinda boring.
Felt more like I was watching terry jones than learn anything.
They are all so old now.
(John Cleese is doing a voice in elder scrolls online)

Sir Douglas:
Terry Jones' Medieval Lives is what it's called. He also wrote a companion book to it. It's been a while since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, it's like just about anything else concerning history: there's a lot of good information there, but you can't just automatically accept everything at face value. You have to sort of look at it with a discerning eye.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-02-01, 23:26:24 ---Huscarls on the other hand, as house-hold retainers may or may not be analogous to a knight, since the concept of knighthood didn't really exist yet.  They're definitely a man-at-arms.  But I can't answer whether or not a huscarl is analogous to Medieval Knighthood.  They'rekind of like 'knights' in service to a lord (the Jarl), but it was an entirely different culture, so it's hard to apply the same labels.

It's definitely an interesting question.  What do you think Sean?

--- End quote ---
Sorry for the lateness...

Well you do have to define a Knight and if there are such things as Knight-analogue's. I could see a Huscarl as a Knight-analogue as they were often well off, well equipped, & well trained.

How would you see the Varangian Guard for the first 200 or so years?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version