"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Days of Knights III - 2014  (Read 67288 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Days of Knights III - 2014
« Reply #60 on: 2014-09-12, 13:12:43 »

James, we should still bring the LED lanterns. The small orange light is still useful inside the tent, where it wouldn't be seen from the outside.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2014-09-12, 17:09:57 »

James, we should still bring the LED lanterns. The small orange light is still useful inside the tent, where it wouldn't be seen from the outside.

Agreed, I still have them packed in the chests, and figure they'll be useful in case of an emergency too. I'm going to work on a few period lanterns and lighting if time permits the next few weekends, but they're definitely staying as backup options.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 2014-09-13, 02:56:43 »
Bluecorn Naturals sells pure beeswax candles.  Their tapers (the normal thin candles) burn 1 hr per inch.  So a single 10'' taper candle gives you a 10 hr burn time.  Bluecorn Naturals also sell their products on Amazon and they are 'prime-able'

Their pillars (the big cylindrical candles, which I'm not sure are medieval) have insane burn times.  Their largest pillar burns for 240 hrs.

Pure beeswax candles also smell like honey while they burn :)

I'm going to pick up some tapers and a lantern or two for DoK this year.

If anyone's interested, real medieval candles were either beeswax, tallow, or a combination of the two.  Beeswax is self explanatory, tallow is rendered from animal fats (think medieval crisco) and a hardener is added so it just doesn't melt away (it's very soft).  Pure beeswax, think upper class and the church, then start to add tallow as you climb down the social ladder.  The poor would make their own candles from pure tallow they made from suet (leftover fat basically) from their food.  Tallow candles will basically smell like you're frying a hamburger when it burns, whereas beeswax gives off a nice honey scent.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-13, 02:58:04 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #63 on: 2014-09-13, 03:31:48 »
I just remembered: there's a place at PARF that sells assorted beeswax products. And I just happen to be there this weekend. I'll have to stop in and see if they have any tapers. Those would be the period styles, right?

Not that I'd have any use for them since I don't have a tent, but if they're still there and the price is right, I might just get some anyway and bring them along.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #64 on: 2014-09-13, 04:49:22 »
My friend Elliot might not be showing up. In this case I need someone to act as my squire as I cannot put my armor on all by myself. Last time I put my own hauberk on I hurt my hernia and was in pain all through DoK 2 though I didn't complain outwardly about it cause I tend to be hardy about pain or discomfort. Just need a backup plan in case he doesnt show up. Someone with experience tying the feet to maille chausses would be preferred as thats the one part I KNOW for sure I wont be able to do. If I have a table or something I can put my hauberk on myself. What I want to do honestly is show the arming of a knight as a demo to some of the people who visit.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #65 on: 2014-09-14, 12:33:38 »
I don't think you'll have to worry about people squiring for each other. The event will have dozens of armor geeks on site, so I think you can probably just grab the nearest person for help. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Frater deTyr

• New Forum Member
    • The Noble Company and Order of Saint Maurice
« Reply #66 on: 2014-09-16, 11:05:40 »
We're frantically trying to get our gear ready for this in the three free weekends we have yet remaining.
Robert L. Coleman, Jr
Also known as Fra Robert deTyr

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 2014-09-16, 13:21:14 »
We're frantically trying to get our gear ready for this in the three free weekends we have yet remaining.

Preaching to the choir brother.  I'm in that overwhelmed stage right now trying bring closure to so many different little projects.
My Pinterest

Frater deTyr

• New Forum Member
    • The Noble Company and Order of Saint Maurice
« Reply #68 on: 2014-09-16, 14:28:02 »
...Someone with experience tying the feet to maille chausses would be preferred as thats the one part I KNOW for sure I wont be able to do.

I stitch a pair of turnshoes into my chausses...
Robert L. Coleman, Jr
Also known as Fra Robert deTyr

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #69 on: 2014-09-19, 14:50:02 »
Lots for me to do in the three weeks remaining, for both my knight, archer impression and tent interior.  One just has to prioritize and work like crazy around one's day job!
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #70 on: 2014-09-19, 22:41:01 »
Lots for me to do in the three weeks remaining, for both my knight, archer impression and tent interior.  One just has to prioritize and work like crazy around one's day job!

I'm taking the easy way out and leaving my tent closed during the day, and hanging out at the combat areas. :) I can't imagine trying to do 3 impressions either!

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #71 on: 2014-09-20, 15:18:29 »
I still need to get a couple of sets of plates and eating utensils for the Saturday feast, but haven’t really had a chance to look into it (I've been going crazy trying to finish up last-minute projects, too :o). Can anyone recommend a place to get some? Doesn't have to be super fancy.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 2014-09-20, 15:54:21 »
I still need to get a couple of sets of plates and eating utensils for the Saturday feast, but haven’t really had a chance to look into it (I've been going crazy trying to finish up last-minute projects, too :o). Can anyone recommend a place to get some? Doesn't have to be super fancy.

I got my utensil set, bowls and mugs from http://medievalcollectibles.com/

Their armor is dubious, of course, but general accessories like that was the best price I could find for medieval looking stuff. I can't verify the accuracy of it, but it was acceptable at DoK 1.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 2014-09-20, 16:13:35 »

Doug, if you want a historical mess kit, for silverware you want a spoon and a knife, and that's it.  No forks.

Historic Enterprises sells a good 14th century spoon here (It's very 'high end' because of the brass knop, and the pewter knop version is sold out):
http://historicenterprises.com/reenactment-goods-c-102/cookware-access-c-102_186/spoon-pewter-acornknop-brass-p-761.html

HE also has utility knives that could be used for eating, but they're expensive:
http://historicenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=knife&x=0&y=0

I use one of these and just ditched the pricker:
http://www.bootsbybohemond.net/index.php/shop-ii/product/39-knife-aamp-pricker

The HE knife is better and comes with a much nicer scabbard.  I made a new scabbard for my boots by bohemond one, but the scabbard it comes with is serviceable but ehhh...  I have that HE spoon and it's what I use.  The 'maidenhead' spoon they have is a 15th century spoon (the knop features a hairstyle and headdress from the mid-late 15th).

HE also sells small horn cups, glass beakers, stoneware cups.  All good for drinking.  Rob van Rens will also be present and selling his pottery if you want stoneware from him (he does awesome work, he's in LBC and does most of our pottery).

Plates and trenchers are harder to come by.  Most wooden plates on the market are lathed from tropical hardwoods (and they're very obvious), not carved or turned from European hardwoods.  Billy and Charlie's doesn't actually sell their nice pewter trenchers anymore or their pewter beakers (I just asked).  My plates kinda suck, but I haven't found a good replacement yet.

My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #74 on: 2014-09-21, 00:10:29 »
Awesome, thanks guys. I was originally looking for cheap stuff since I thought I was going to have to get two of everything, but apparently my mom isn't going to stay for the Saturday feast, so maybe I'll get a little bit nicer stuff for myself.

A wooden trencher I’m sure I could make, I’m just not sure if I’d have enough time left to track down the wood and make it. Then doesn’t it also have to be sealed or something?