"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Liner for cervelliere  (Read 6901 times)

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
Liner for cervelliere
« on: 2014-10-20, 03:51:09 »
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but do we know how or if cervellieres were lined?  Did they sit right in top of the mail coif or was there some kind of lining between mail and plate?
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Liner for cervelliere
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-20, 07:06:35 »
Not a silly question. I too am curious.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-20, 14:35:48 »
I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that they usually were attached to the coif such that they replace the mail at the top of the head. It's like a helm with an aventail, except that the helm is very small and it's mostly aventail on your head. So with that, I would suspect that you'd wear it over an arming cap in a similar fashion to a coif.

But again, I'm not completely sure. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-20, 15:55:54 »
I've found some photos that look like extant cerverllieres, but the photos have no information with them.  The photo does have small holes around the rim of the helmet which could have been used like on most bascinets as the points used to sew in a liner.  But without definitive information on the provenance of those photos, I have no idea.

The image in question, but unfortunately no information

(bascinet)
« Last Edit: 2014-10-20, 17:24:12 by Sir Edward »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-20, 16:04:22 »
Here's some better info:

This is a find ca.1250.  The holes are too far apart for a liner imo.  Probably for maille attachment?

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm66.pl?f=NR_LOT&c=3199&t=temartic_A_GB&db=kat66_a.txt
« Last Edit: 2014-10-20, 17:11:01 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-21, 00:46:20 »
After researching I can say it's almost certain those holes are for a liner. In period art, we can see the depiction of those holes in very many cases where the cervelliere is worn, both with an aventail/coif and with the helmet worn with no maille. 

Check this picture out. The cerv has a leather strap attached and decorated to which vervelles have been added to hang the aventail. From the positioning of the aventail it certainly seems it's attached to the helmet. Compare to other pictures of a coif that is not attached to the cerv. Also note the date of this depiction. By this time it would be standard to attach an aventail to a bascinet or cerv.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4317/7110/

Now look at this depiction of a cerv with no liner holes. Note the arming cap, and the seperate chinstrap, that could only come from a liner. (BTW I believe this is perfect ammo for the old "absence of evidence doesn't constitute evidence of absence" because although no holes are depicted they almost certainly were present.)

In this picture the guy in blue at the left (who is probably the same individual from the previous picture) has liner holes plus an arming cap, and his coif is clearly not attached to his cerv.

In this pic, you can see what it looked like to wear the cerv under the coif.

This guy gets it right (well almost, but the closest I've seen) with the look of his cerv both under the maille and alone. Compare to the holes on the helm pic pasted by Sir Ian. Note the two distinct sizes of holes on Ian's pic and the rivets and liner holes on this repro.

http://dawnofchivalry.wikispaces.com/Mail+Coif+-+Biro%27s+project

Granted this is all based on period art, and as such can't be regarded as gospel, but based on the evidence I think it's safe to say the holes are for a liner in at least some cases which should be enough justification for a historical impression.

Scott
« Last Edit: 2014-10-21, 20:50:08 by scott2978 »