"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Padded Gambeson  (Read 7661 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Padded Gambeson
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-06, 14:51:15 »
This is from a thread on the Armour Archive written by Tasha Dandelion Kelly, who's opinion on medieval garments I trust very much.
I used to believe this as well until quite recently, because it seems to make so much sense, but actually the word pourpoint stems from a Latin term -- perpunctus or prepunctus (one of which means "pierced", the other "pierced through"; not sure which is which without digging through my research). Etymologically, it's unclear which prefix is technically correct, because the French language has a history of interchanging them somewhat as the language evolved.

The meaning of the word pourpoint does not have anything to do with something being tight-fitting for the purpose of pointing armour to it, i.e. "for pointing" -- as is commonly believed and perpetuated by many knowledgeable folks, including published historians. What it refers to, in fact, is that the garment is quilted (i.e. "pierced through"). This is how French historians interpret this word, and I'm going to take their word for it, as they know their language better than native English speakers do.

I'm sure that the concept of "pointing" also derives from the same Latin root, as it does indeed involve piercing something. Just the same, it's a coincidence and a modern interpretive twist to the original meaning of the period word pourpoint.

Pourpoints are padded, quilted garments, plain and simple. It does not matter if they're worn under the armour or over the armour.

If you're going to point armour to a tight-fitting garment, I'd just call it an arming garment or arming cotte, or something like that.... unless it's quilted, in which case, go ahead and call it a pourpoint.

That is completely awesome. I love finding a very valid, rational explanation for things like this. I'll have to file that away in my brain and stop misusing the word! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-06, 18:51:42 »
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=151779&p=2297875&hilit=pourpoint+perpunctus#p2297875

Middle French: gambison = pourpoint
Middle Dutch translation: wambeys = pourpoint
Middle English translation: doublet = pourpoint

Ack!!

Edit: And now I'm wondering if I should quilt my current arming coat. Hmm...
« Last Edit: 2014-01-06, 18:58:38 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-06, 19:50:51 »
Ian, thanks for posting that quote.  Very good information and an example of how reenactors/hobbists can get stuck on nomenclature that sometime is incorrect or meaningless as a means of categorizing items.  Gameson, Aketon, Pourpont, padded jack etc.  I suspect there are other names to that could be applied equaly, all more indicative of time frame instead of nature of the garment.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/