"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: SCA Combat Archers  (Read 21365 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: SCA Combat Archers
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-29, 16:06:05 »
I have my fencing mask:)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-29, 16:08:11 »
gonna have to pass on that helm Ian, sorry. For now its out of budget.

As far as wearing mail Armor goes, What are the requirements?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-29, 16:10:27 »
For the SCA? What Kingdom do you live in? And what do you mean by wearing of mail?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-29, 16:12:45 »
Let me Find out.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-01-29, 16:15:05 »
Apparently in the Philly area(I googled), theres a branch called the barony of bhakail. The southernmost barony in the Eastern Kingdom.

Sorry was talking about other areas other than helm.
Different kingdoms and Battles have different Requirements in armor dont they?
If I got a good gambeson(I have a cruddy one) and Riveted mail could I participate in events? Or would I need more protection?
(I know requirements for plate armor, And helms)
« Last Edit: 2014-01-29, 16:19:06 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #20 on: 2014-01-29, 16:30:04 »
Nate, you would still need elbow, knee, and kidney protection at minimum...also gloves (duh)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2014-01-29, 17:32:43 »
Some individual groups have requirements that go above and beyond the basic requirements found in the SCA Marshall's Handbook.  You should really go to an SCA fighter practice FIRST and they will be able to guide you on all the specific requirements that govern them.  I know it's very tempting to buy a bunch of stuff beforehand, but you're going to waste a lot of money and end up replacing a bunch of stuff in the future because you got too excited and jumped the gun and bought stuff your local group is going to say no to.  Let your local SCA group tell you what you should and should not get.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2014-01-29, 19:30:03 »
Buying gear before playing is not advised.

Oh, *I* will totally advise buying gear before playing. I'll advise buying multiple sets of gear, so you have different ones to try out.

But that's because I'm happy to spend other people's money on lots of armor, whether they need to or not. ;)

**** I'm joking about buying lots of gear. Best way is to see if you like something before you spend the money. If you like it, invest in it. ****
« Last Edit: 2014-01-29, 20:40:26 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-01-30, 03:42:33 »
Well I have my fencing mask, some thick hockey gloves. And some 14 gauge knee pads on upper leg padding.
That would get me through some practices .
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2014-01-30, 14:10:11 »
Well I have my fencing mask, some thick hockey gloves. And some 14 gauge knee pads on upper leg padding.
That would get me through some practices .

You can't use a fencing mask for SCA heavy combat.  There are also several other pieces of protection required just to meet the minimums.  Just go to a fighter practice and let them show you the ropes and show you what specific gear you need.  Not sure why you seem kind of resistant to doing that.  I'm positive the SCA veterans on this forum would advise you just go and see what you think, and get in some loner gear first.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-30, 14:57:18 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2014-01-30, 14:24:39 »
I'm positive the SCA veterans on this forum would advise you just go and see what you think, and get in some loner gear first.

I'd say that's true of any sword-fighting group, HEMA/WMA included. Different groups have different requirements, and different emphasis. It's best to find out from those you'll be participating with, what it is that they would recommend to you.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2014-01-30, 14:47:38 »
SCA combat for minors also requires parental consent forms if I remember correctly.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #27 on: 2014-01-31, 02:46:03 »
It is best to go to a practice...look for the knight marshal or a white belt (symbol of a knight in the sca) or a red belt (squire) they will definitely show you the ropes and talk about kingdom requirements...you don't even have the minimum to fight so I would go to a practice. And I wholeheartedly say do not buy any gear until you know that it is what you want to do. It can get very expensive...my helm alone was $500. Also you need to be 16 and have parental consent. If you let me know where you are I will find lis for you and point you in the right direction.

Lord Chagatai Burilgi, squire to Sir Chinua, kingdom of the Outlands, barony of al-Barran

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #28 on: 2014-01-31, 03:13:49 »
SCA target archery is not too different from target practice really, however I wanted to see if any of you have personal stories about being, or encountering combat archers on the field of battle. Were they effective? How did you fight combat archers? If you are one share your knowledge, and if your good at beating them please do the same.

Thank you,

RackThor

Sorry RackThor, I meant to answer your question but then … Squirrel! … Where was I?  Ah yes, SCA archery.

SCA target archery is a separate competitive sport very similar to regular target archery, except you’re in period clothing and using the most period bow that you can make or afford.  You shoot at butts or bales and are scored accordingly.  Sometimes Kingdoms run a yearlong championship at several different events and the total points winner is crowned archery champion.

SCA combat archery is a whole other animal.  You are required wear full armour and are considered fair game on the field of combat.  The arrows are very large in diameter and the safety tips are heavy.   Combine this with gauntlets and your accuracy leaves something to be desired.

The best way I can describe SCA combat archery is like having a 20’ spear.  You can reach out and touch others who can’t reach you in return (Knights hate this fact).  Working in pairs with another archer has worked well for me.  It’s hard for your targets to focus on two archers 10’ apart.  When the lead archer fires, the second archer usually finds a nice gap to hit as someone invariably raises a shield or tries to protect their buddy.  Beware of flanking maneuvers as a unit that catches an undefended archer in the backfield will grind you into the ground for the suffering you’ve caused.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-01-31, 20:08:31 »
Ya I'll have to go to the combat practice. I'm sorry, I didn't address going to it.
How about this, once I go to a combat practice and get associated with a local group, I'll inform you guys of what kinda stuff I'll need.
It will probably be in spring.  When the weather warms up.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order