Main > The Round Table

Knighly Orders during the Crusades

<< < (9/10) > >>

Thorsteinn:
At least they got the feel for Saladin correct. There was a reason he & Richard became one of histories great rivalry of equals.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-12-23, 15:35:39 ---At least they got the feel for Saladin correct. There was a reason he & Richard became one of histories great rivalry of equals.

--- End quote ---

That was my one problem with Arn, Saladin was just, He showed some mercy, but One thing that bothered me was that he was muslim and Ive heard historians say he was a kurb. I don't know what that is but its not muslim.(I have no problem with any other religion, Just accuracy to history)

Sir Douglas:
Saladin was both. Kurdish is an ethnic group whereas Muslim/Islamic is a religion. If someone's a Kurd, that just means he comes from areas like Syria, Iraq, and Iran.

Like how you have English and French, but they were both still Catholic at that time. :)

SirNathanQ:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-12-23, 13:51:16 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2013-12-23, 04:05:30 ---Add a scene where Director Dude Ridley orders approximately all the flags and adds 5 more scenes of various medieval Catholic Church figures being horrible people, and you have a working summary of the making of Kingdom of Heaven.

--- End quote ---

It is ironic that the two religions at the center of the Crusades both preached love and forbearance for their fellow man, but neither of those were ever really understood or practiced by either side.

--- End quote ---

The situation was a fair bit more complicated than that. Both sides had deep and legitimate reasons for waging war in the name of God.
In fact you will find these principles are applied outside of the context of active warfare. Muslim and Christian lived side by side (literally) without violent incident in cities controlled by either religion.

Also, Douglas is right on the money regarding Saladin's Kurdish lineage. It's an ethnicity, nothing more.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-12-24, 00:28:18 ---Saladin was both. Kurdish is an ethnic group whereas Muslim/Islamic is a religion. If someone's a Kurd, that just means he comes from areas like Syria, Iraq, and Iran.

Like how you have English and French, but they were both still Catholic at that time. :)

--- End quote ---

It all makes Sense now.
So I guess Arn is the most accurate thing we have on screen about the crusades.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version