"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Knighly Orders during the Crusades  (Read 23010 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Knighly Orders during the Crusades
« Reply #30 on: 2013-12-14, 05:43:31 »
Anyway, so are the supposed to be Templars or Teutonic Knights?

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be Templars.

We are so respectful to religion here In Jerusalem. We kill Templars for killing innocent people. Hang them In public.
Wait one moment I've just received a pigion letter. Don't hang the Templars in public you will be assassinated#haggistag#templars
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

LionPride32

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: 2013-12-15, 12:00:44 »
Morning gents,

Excellent responses to my question! I didn't know the Ibelins (se?) Were a real order/family...? And thank yoi Sir NathanQ for the info about the orders, especiallly the Teutonics Knights! I gotta get my swrod swinging butt in gear and post my pics of my gear n get-up, including my Tuetonic Gen2 dagger!

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #32 on: 2013-12-16, 06:08:27 »
Morning gents,

Excellent responses to my question! I didn't know the Ibelins (se?) Were a real order/family...? And thank yoi Sir NathanQ for the info about the orders, especiallly the Teutonics Knights! I gotta get my swrod swinging butt in gear and post my pics of my gear n get-up, including my Tuetonic Gen2 dagger!

Indeed! I would love to have a peek at what you have!
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #33 on: 2013-12-18, 19:30:24 »
No problem, always happy to talk about the Teutonic Order!   :)

Also, yes, that scene in Kingdom of Heaven was a mistake, and they were meant to be Templars, who apparently got some future surcotes and helmets. Must have been an executive decision on Ridley's part...
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2013-12-18, 20:59:55 »

Also, yes, that scene in Kingdom of Heaven was a mistake, and they were meant to be Templars, who apparently got some future surcotes and helmets. Must have been an executive decision on Ridley's part...

Maybe they were time travelers? Got mixed up with some time bandits possibly.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #35 on: 2013-12-18, 21:21:51 »
Yes! Time-travelling Templars! Because...alliteration. 8)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2013-12-18, 22:08:29 »

Costume Guy: Hey, director dude, GDFB says they only have 80 of the "Templar" surcoats in stock. But they have 20 "Two-tonics" that we could buy too.

Director Dude: Okay so what's the difference?

Costume Guy: They said it's almost all the same and just a black cross instead of a red one.

Director Dude: What are our other options?

Costume Guy: Ask your mom to sew us the other 20 we need.

Director Dude: It's a short scene, get the two-ton-whatever, it's close enough.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-18, 22:08:48 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2013-12-23, 04:05:30 »
Add a scene where Director Dude Ridley orders approximately all the flags and adds 5 more scenes of various medieval Catholic Church figures being horrible people, and you have a working summary of the making of Kingdom of Heaven.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2013-12-23, 04:31:59 »
Haha I am currently watching it  :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2013-12-23, 13:51:16 »
Add a scene where Director Dude Ridley orders approximately all the flags and adds 5 more scenes of various medieval Catholic Church figures being horrible people, and you have a working summary of the making of Kingdom of Heaven.

It is ironic that the two religions at the center of the Crusades both preached love and forbearance for their fellow man, but neither of those were ever really understood or practiced by either side.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2013-12-23, 15:35:39 »
At least they got the feel for Saladin correct. There was a reason he & Richard became one of histories great rivalry of equals.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2013-12-23, 23:12:20 »
At least they got the feel for Saladin correct. There was a reason he & Richard became one of histories great rivalry of equals.

That was my one problem with Arn, Saladin was just, He showed some mercy, but One thing that bothered me was that he was muslim and Ive heard historians say he was a kurb. I don't know what that is but its not muslim.(I have no problem with any other religion, Just accuracy to history)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #42 on: 2013-12-24, 00:28:18 »
Saladin was both. Kurdish is an ethnic group whereas Muslim/Islamic is a religion. If someone's a Kurd, that just means he comes from areas like Syria, Iraq, and Iran.

Like how you have English and French, but they were both still Catholic at that time. :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #43 on: 2013-12-24, 05:06:08 »

It is ironic that the two religions at the center of the Crusades both preached love and forbearance for their fellow man, but neither of those were ever really understood or practiced by either side.

The situation was a fair bit more complicated than that. Both sides had deep and legitimate reasons for waging war in the name of God.
In fact you will find these principles are applied outside of the context of active warfare. Muslim and Christian lived side by side (literally) without violent incident in cities controlled by either religion.

Also, Douglas is right on the money regarding Saladin's Kurdish lineage. It's an ethnicity, nothing more.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2013-12-24, 16:12:28 »
Saladin was both. Kurdish is an ethnic group whereas Muslim/Islamic is a religion. If someone's a Kurd, that just means he comes from areas like Syria, Iraq, and Iran.

Like how you have English and French, but they were both still Catholic at that time. :)

It all makes Sense now.
So I guess Arn is the most accurate thing we have on screen about the crusades.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order