"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Ouch.  (Read 29959 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Ouch.
« Reply #45 on: 2011-03-19, 03:41:24 »
Hmmm....That's impressive Ivan.
Slight necro to update all the status of my fencing club:
Petition reviewed by principle, principle liked it, assistant principle demanded it be sent up to the board.
After about 3 months at the board of edu w/ no replies back, I think they're pulling yet another fast one on me. (they have actually redefined bladed weaponry in order to keep my blunts out)
I'm thinking of just having the thing at my place or something. Same exact program and ideas, and all that jazz. Now have about 15-20 people who would be interested in the opportunity to regularly play with weapons.
But as a minor change, I would consider adding a middle finger in a large bend followed by a stylized image of my school on the COA..... >:(

jk...... ;D ;D ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #46 on: 2011-03-19, 13:05:08 »

Yeah I really think schools go overboard these days. When they start banning anything and everything that has even the slightest resemblance to violence or competition, such as dodge-ball or "cops and robbers" during recess, then it's no surprise that a high school will be upset about blunt swords.

I think schools have really lost their minds in the last few decades.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #47 on: 2011-03-19, 19:03:54 »
The sad thing is that there wouldn't even be a blunt sword on the premises during school hours!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #48 on: 2011-03-19, 19:14:23 »
Have you tried the route of being an after school hours "private club" that rents the gym for a nominal fee?  You might be able to get around the red tape assuming they don't want to see a COI (certificate of insurance) naming your group.  In this manner, the school board has no say in the matter.  Are you friendly with the school athletic director?  He (She) can be your best friend in this matter.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: 2011-03-21, 13:31:51 »
Or do a class at the local YMCA...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2011-03-21, 16:14:45 »
The sad thing is that there wouldn't even be a blunt sword on the premises during school hours!

Two friends, their mother and I were kicked off of the high school tennis courts, in the evening and after school hours by the local PD. We were the only ones there, but since we weren't on the tennis team, they booted us. And that was around 12-15 years ago. As much as I distrust school "judgement" any more, it surprises me that a place like West Virginia that has a sizable hunting population would be so freaked out by a blunt sword.

Sounds like you're on the right path - just have it at your place, and the school can wallow in their idiocy. Then when this generation grows up and is terrified by the inevitable conflicts of living in the real world, outside of that little teaching bubble, and all go crying to their guidance counselor (HR) when they don't get a bonus and Teddy did because he had more sales than them, well, we can say "See, you should have let them have SOME kind of competitive activity!", instead of the "everyone tried, everyone gets a trophy!" nonsense. We're messing them up from an early age. That's why I wouldn't let my brother win at Pokemon all the time, even when he was 5; I think it helped him learn you don't always win, and that makes someone a better person.

Rodney has a good idea, but I think most schools would still have the weapons prohibition for after-hours clubs as well. Otherwise, someone could walk in with a weapon, hide it somewhere, a student gets it the next day and then....

Uhh, hmm, seem to have wandered off track here. Check with your parents (I'm guessing you live at home?) and see if the homeowner's insurance would cover injuries. It usually does, and it's a good thing to know for worst-case scenario.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #51 on: 2011-03-24, 01:59:13 »
Yeah. And BTW, the athletic director is a complete and utter moron hereabouts. Even if he WOULD go as far as to stop sucking face w/ high school girls to attempt to have an agreement he would probably deny it. I feel that I really don't want to work with that person in starting this.
So far, it is looking like my house will be the place. I'll run it by the people interested....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 2011-03-24, 13:58:46 »
The athletic director is sucking face w/high school girls?  Uhhh...that is a distinct NO-NO. 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #53 on: 2011-03-24, 14:07:53 »

Sucking face? Or sucking up? Very different meanings. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 2011-03-24, 14:47:33 »
He said 'sucking face' - that still has the same meanings it did when we were in school I'd wager.