"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)  (Read 69878 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)
« Reply #75 on: 2014-04-14, 20:29:57 »
Isn't a sugarloaf a bit early for your kit?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #76 on: 2014-04-14, 21:02:32 »
Two kits! I will post updates...splinted armor 1345-50 kit with sugarloaf and knee length heraldic tabard....then 1380 full plate articulated joints with jupon and visored basinet....that is more long term as it is beyond my skill to make :)

I have the metal for splints and bought the leather etc...the corrazina will go into the 2nd kit and making a CoP for this kit.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 2014-04-14, 23:25:33 »
Even then, sugarloafs are squarely centered around the 1290's, early 1300's.  Effigies from the 1340's are virtually all bascinets.  There are a few manuscripts dated to the mid 1300's that depict sugarloafs, but they're dating often spans huge swaths, like 1300-1350, so they're not very precisely dated at all.  Sugarloafs, if in use at that time would be very old-fashioned for a Knight.  You would most certainly be talked about behind your back at court :) lol

If you're going for historical accuracy, I would maybe try to pass it off that this was your father's helm, and yours is being repaired.  Just remember, knights were the 1% of their time. ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-14, 23:39:07 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #78 on: 2014-04-15, 13:07:57 »
The other guy who buy a helm from this Armorer got back to me with this msg:

I did get a tracking number. Haven't gotten the helmet yet.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=1&text28777=&tLabels=CP180020083UA

The tracking says it went THROUGH US customs on April 3rd....not sure why it hasn't gotten to him yet...but hey at least he sent something through customs!

Yeah it would have been very old fashioned for a sugarloaf in the 1350...maybe I need to see how far back I can date splinted armor with floating cops...I bet I can get around the 1325 date for the sculpture at Bargello Palace in Florence posted below. I will definitely need to look into more chain...probably a hauberk and mail chausses....then get a haubergon for the late 14th century kit....
« Last Edit: 2014-04-15, 13:48:10 by Don Jorge »

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #79 on: 2014-04-16, 18:47:56 »
Looks like the helmet is out for delivery! So I am waiting for the owner of the helm to give me a review but if all goes well Friday I am ordering my sugarloaf!

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #80 on: 2014-04-17, 20:30:01 »
So I decided to get a visored basinet. The guy who was making the sugarloaf actually worked with Jollyknight before, he sent me some links of his work and he looks like he knows what he is doing...gave me a great price for the bascinet...making it from 10g Mild for the sake of the SCA game it is important to have a heavy helmet to reduce head injury.

I definitely am going to talk to him about some other commissions down the line!

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #81 on: 2014-04-18, 02:12:30 »
I recently got a visored sugarloaf too; 14 gauge mild steel painted black with brass cross trim. I actually like it. It is good for early 1300's kit.   
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #82 on: 2014-04-23, 20:07:09 »
My sugar load is a 16G with a cross.
It was from ebay under 100 bucks.
There are dents here and there(Durability Testing, proved....Unsuccessful)
But I think it is really nice looking from 4 ft. or further.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #83 on: 2014-07-18, 13:49:25 »
So I have spent a long time collecting soft kit stuff while I wait for my helmet to get here and for me to finish my splinted armor... Yesterday I got my braies, chausses (linen since it is so hot in NC) and an undershirt based on the Louis...

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #84 on: 2014-07-18, 14:33:41 »
So I have spent a long time collecting soft kit stuff while I wait for my helmet to get here and for me to finish my splinted armor... Yesterday I got my braies, chausses (linen since it is so hot in NC) and an undershirt based on the Louis...

Looks really good!  If you can, cinch your hose up higher on the hips so they pull tight.  They should sit smooth on the leg.  If they're too big along the length of the leg an easy way to fix them is put them on inside-out, pinch along the seem to gather up the excess, pin them in place to get a nice fit, then sew right up the pin line and you've got custom fit hose.  Then a garter below each knee to keep them smooth on the calf.  Just make sure you leave enough room for your foot to go through since linen does not stretch like wool.

For attaching the hose there's a lot of evidence for a braies girdle, or a belt that holds up the braies and serves as a good point to attach the hose.  There's a big discussion on the AA going on about braies girdles and hose attachment right now.  You may want to experiment.  Some people find that when they tie their hose up tight to a draw-string on the braies that it pulls your braies down.  I plan on making a braies girdle to try it out and see if it works better.

And wool is not automatically hotter than linen, it's all dependent on the weight of the fabric.  HE's wool hose are a nice thin wool, very breathable and fine for hot weather.  All natural fibers, be them wool or linen or even cotton breathe unlike synthetics.

Here's Mac's braies girdle (note how high they sit).  The thinking now is they're going to start experimenting with a belt inside the casing of the braes that also has the ability to attach hose via points or brooches like on Mac's example:

« Last Edit: 2014-07-18, 15:31:49 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #85 on: 2014-07-18, 15:30:34 »
My problem is my thighs... For squating or kneeling I need lots of space...so the will always have to be a bit loose up top...I plan to make garters for the calves but alas even at that fit it is just a tad tight when I squat...

As for girdles I saw the thread and besides seeing too much of Macs private areas it is a great read. I might try a girdle but found these braies to hold up fine just walking around...and my undershirt is plenty long as is my g63 tunic in case I have decide to share some crack from time to time ;)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #86 on: 2014-07-18, 15:54:16 »
I will definitely to to pull em up as far up as I can though!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #87 on: 2014-07-18, 16:32:46 »
I've always done the drawstring thing too, but after 12 hrs and re-tightening several times the drawstring eventually gets very uncomfortable.  I'm going to experiment with the belt option as well.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #88 on: 2014-07-21, 16:28:03 »
For attaching the hose there's a lot of evidence for a braies girdle, or a belt that holds up the braies and serves as a good point to attach the hose.  There's a big discussion on the AA going on about braies girdles and hose attachment right now.

Is this it? http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172174&hilit=braies
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #89 on: 2014-07-21, 18:55:46 »
For attaching the hose there's a lot of evidence for a braies girdle, or a belt that holds up the braies and serves as a good point to attach the hose.  There's a big discussion on the AA going on about braies girdles and hose attachment right now.

Is this it? http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172174&hilit=braies

That thread yes, and the thread it references which is this one:
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=135302&hilit=hose+belt
My Pinterest