"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: The Effigy of Jean d'Alluye  (Read 4912 times)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
The Effigy of Jean d'Alluye
« on: 2013-10-25, 23:17:22 »
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: The Effigy of Jean d'Alluye
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-25, 23:39:04 »

Those are some nice close-ups too. Cool.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-28, 13:27:57 »
The sword seems more closely linked to the tri-lobed Viking style hilted swords of the 9th - 11th centuries than a Chinese one; seeing as d'Alluye was a French crusader, he could very well have wielded an older family sword.  Unless there are other pictures, I didn't see anything to suggest that the sword, seeing as it is shown in-scabbard, was anything other than a European style blade with an antiquated hilt.  Plus we must keep in mind that these are images as rendered by an artisan of the time and, at least in my view, are subject to some artistic interpretation.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-28, 15:17:58 »
Seconded on Viking style. Most of it is hidden behind the shield. It doesn't jump out as Chinese to me.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-28, 18:19:45 »
Whatever it is, it's still interesting.

To me, the pommel almost looks like a fleur-de-lis design. It's the crossguard that I find interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one of that period swept so far downward and in that fashion. But then, I'm more of an armor guy than a sword guy. Plus, we don't know how much of the guard is hidden under that little scabbard flap (I'm sure it has a name); it might not sweep down as far as it appears. Actually, on closer inspection, it looks like it's a continuation of a flower motif. A custom design, perhaps?

But yeah, the article does say a "very un European blade" but I don't particularly see anything special about it. You can't even see the blade, even in other pictures it doesn't seem to stick out from under the shield anywhere. It is a rather nice effigy, though.

But I guess we'll never know how much is accurate, how much is artistic style. Shame we don't have the actual sword. It was probably just a rather ornate sword as opposed to something foreign.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....