Main > The Round Table

Order Code and Scout Law?

(1/4) > >>

Timothy:
Hello.

Has anybody noticed a close affinity between the Boy Scouts Law and the knight’s code? Twelve points in each and they overlap to a great extent. Accident or design?

A Scout is

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean, and
Reverent.

Order Code:

Truth
Honor
Justice
Valor
Strength
Generosity
Loyalty
Humility
Courtesy
Compassion
Nobility
Franchise   

Sir Martyn:
By design.  Sir Baden Powell (and his U.S. admirers) looked at several historical examples for inspiration on the core values to instill and encourage in young men - including not only the knight's code but also the oath taken by young Athenians.

Sir James A:
Many of them are characteristics of simply being a good person, and will have overlap in other things as well. I was a boy scout as a child, but haven't been for 20 or so years now.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Gareyth on 2013-10-21, 04:42:45 ---By design.  Sir Baden Powell (and his U.S. admirers) looked at several historical examples for inspiration on the core values to instill and encourage in young men - including not only the knight's code but also the oath taken by young Athenians.

--- End quote ---

Yep, definitely by design. I was reading something about that not too long ago.

Timothy:
Thanks for the response.

I agree it was by design. I have been a scout or adult scout leader for over 45 year, give or take. I have always been in awe of B-P insight into the minds of young boys and his ability to take a program/manual created at first for military scouts and convert it into a movement for youth.  I agree that they are traits of being a good person but sometimes I think our modern society views them as old-fashioned or even archaic.

Timothy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version