"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: New helm and hammer  (Read 11550 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: New helm and hammer
« Reply #15 on: 2008-11-19, 18:15:43 »

I agree. I suspect the haft will not be terribly durable, but I got it mostly for the head anyway, since I figure if the haft breaks, re-hafting wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2008-11-20, 01:41:15 »
I certainly like that hammer, and have begun looking for a nice one myself to go with a mid 14thc Tuetonic Knight kit I am working on.  I am under the impression that they favored hammers.  Being that I wear a kettle helm with my current armor (a brigandine jack), I too appreciate the kettle helm gaining popularity.  my next helm will probably be a sugar loaf to go with my Tuetonic.  I will be wearing riveted mail with leather and plate splint armor over it.  It should look sweet when I am done sometime late next season or for early the following season. 

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2008-11-21, 06:42:52 »
So both David and I got our Kettle Hats today. David got the same one as Ed, and we both really like it. It fits both of us really well, and looks great... I'm considering purchasing one myself at some point.

Mine I'm not terribly crazy about. It isn't bad, but its much bigger than I expected. I bought this one:

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=AB0367

Its actually pretty decent from a construction point of view. The lines and shaping are pretty good. It just seems kind of enormous on my head compared to all of the other Medium sized GDFB helmets. I played with the liner to make my head sink into it more, but ultimately it just looks weird. David tried it on too, and it was the same thing. I might have to try it on with a coif.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2008-11-21, 14:41:17 »

Yeah, it might work much better with the coif. I know the helm I got fits great with nothing else, but I haven't tried that one with a coif either. I'm surprised the sizing isn't more consistent.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2008-11-21, 15:46:32 »

Yeah, it might work much better with the coif. I know the helm I got fits great with nothing else, but I haven't tried that one with a coif either. I'm surprised the sizing isn't more consistent.

Its not that the fit is big, because that's fairly similar with both helmets, I think. The whole helmet seems much bigger in proportion, so it looks odd.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2008-11-21, 16:29:37 »
Ahh, gotcha.

Do you have pics of its fit? I'm curious now.
« Last Edit: 2008-11-21, 16:59:56 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2008-11-21, 19:15:59 »
ya pics! thats the one i've had my eye on. i would replace the liner with a  padded liner and wear a coif with it too. pics man pics!

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2008-11-21, 22:34:51 »
I'm still in the process of moving things out of storage, which means my camera has gone AWOL. I'll get back to you on that.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2009-01-07, 04:59:24 »
So both David and I got our Kettle Hats today. David got the same one as Ed, and we both really like it. It fits both of us really well, and looks great... I'm considering purchasing one myself at some point.

Mine I'm not terribly crazy about. It isn't bad, but its much bigger than I expected. I bought this one:

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=AB0367

Its actually pretty decent from a construction point of view. The lines and shaping are pretty good. It just seems kind of enormous on my head compared to all of the other Medium sized GDFB helmets. I played with the liner to make my head sink into it more, but ultimately it just looks weird. David tried it on too, and it was the same thing. I might have to try it on with a coif.

any update on this Bill? I tried on Sir Ed's this weekend, and while the medium fit, I could def tell it was heavy. BUT when i tried it on with a mail coif it sat on the top of my head. i didn't even have any padding in the helm or a padded coif under the mail.  i was looking at this helmet too, but maybe I would need the large?  I want to paint the insets red like those seen in the Mac Bible. i think it would make it stand out better!