"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Problems with my gear any advice?  (Read 5498 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Problems with my gear any advice?
« on: 2013-11-28, 04:16:38 »
I know there are bazilions of different armor styles I the medieval period but I can't help but feel like im doing something wrong every time I out my gear on.
Here is a list of problems I'm having.
-maille coif being too baggy
-tunic being to baggy(one shoulder always wants to slide down)
-we're my belt right(it always seems to high or too low and makes me look funny in my gear.
-my helmet seems too small in width when if try wearing my arming cap with my mail coif.
Should I wear my coif under my tunic?
Should I get a better fitted tunic and helmet?
We're should I be wearing my belt? And does double wrap work better as far as making it fit goes?
Would wearing my coif under the helmet to against medieval style and does
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Problems with my gear any advice?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-28, 13:56:59 »

Common problem, it needs tailoring, just like fabric

Common problem, it should also be tailored. If not tailored, an easier adjustment might be to cut it down some at the top, add eyelets on the sides and lace it so that it is tight against the body. Most tunics (surcoats) seem to be rectangular, but should be flared from top to bottom.

Instead of   |_|   more like    /__\

-we're my belt right(it always seems to high or too low and makes me look funny in my gear.

May be in part due to surcoat

-my helmet seems too small in width when if try wearing my arming cap with my mail coif.

Quite possible if it wasn't made for your head size

Yes - and ideally underneath of the other mail. It makes it look like a single garment, which is more historical. Modern coifs also seem to be excessively long and wide, which throws the look off even more.

Yes, or adjust the ones you have (easier w/surcoat than helmet)

We're should I be wearing my belt? And does double wrap work better as far as making it fit goes?

Check historical pictures you want to replicate; look at their elbows. Standing straight up, your elbows will naturally sit right around your belly button. Use that to figure out where they have theirs at.

No, I'm not aware of any where it is worn outside of the helmet either
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-28, 15:17:54 »

Yes - and ideally underneath of the other mail. It makes it look like a single garment, which is more historical. Modern coifs also seem to be excessively long and wide, which throws the look off even more.

The good news on this one is that they were worn both ways. Sometimes over the hauberk, sometimes under, and sometimes outside of the surcoat. Depending on which part of the period you're looking at, some of the earlier ones were integrated into the hauberk, and you can fake that by wearing it under the hauberk, but that too is historical.

One of the nice things about wearing it under the surcoat at least, is that you can see more of the surcoat, and the mail doesn't flop around as much.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-28, 16:10:42 »

Common problem, it needs tailoring, just like fabric

Common problem, it should also be tailored. If not tailored, an easier adjustment might be to cut it down some at the top, add eyelets on the sides and lace it so that it is tight against the body. Most tunics (surcoats) seem to be rectangular, but should be flared from top to bottom.

Instead of   |_|   more like    /__\

May be in part due to surcoat

Quite possible if it wasn't made for your head size

Yes, or adjust the ones you have (easier w/surcoat than helmet)

Check historical pictures you want to replicate; look at their elbows. Standing straight up, your elbows will naturally sit right around your belly button. Use that to figure out where they have theirs at.

No, I'm not aware of any where it is worn outside of the helmet either

I may start wearing it under the surcoat, my coif is so baggy. plus I do want people to see my surcoat more.
sorry for the word mistake in the last question I didnt mean helmet I meant surcoat.
Well Im getting a new surcoat that looks like a less baggy make and is more tight around the sides.
I got this helmet last year, but ill make a thin cloth arming cap to go under my coif so I can appear as if I have an arming cap on.
I also think the problem with my surcoat is the shoulders are really far apart causing one said to try and slide off.(also think this may be easier to control if I wear my coif under my surcoat.
also is the belt worn were the elbows reach to, or on the waist?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-28, 17:35:51 »

The narrowest part of your body, typically where your belly button is, and coincidentally where the elbows usually hang is your natural waist.  Modern clothing, like jeans are not really worn at your waist, they sit atop your hips, but when talking about it in modern context we call this our 'waist' but it really isn't.  Historically, the waist is that narrowest point around the belly button.  So belts were typically worn there in historical clothing, which usually looks like it's being worn too high to the modern eye because the 'waist' has drifted further down the body to us modern folk.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-28, 17:42:08 »

The narrowest part of your body, typically where your belly button is, and coincidentally where the elbows usually hang is your natural waist.  Modern clothing, like jeans are not really worn at your waist, they sit atop your hips, but when talking about it in modern context we call this our 'waist' but it really isn't.  Historically, the waist is that narrowest point around the belly button.  So belts were typically worn there in historical clothing, which usually looks like it's being worn too high to the modern eye because the 'waist' has drifted further down the body to us modern folk.

That makes sense. thank you.
Well if it has to be the narrowest part of my body im going to need to move it above my belly if you catch my meaning.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-28, 19:07:21 »
They covered it all pretty much. Just to add to baggy coif issue ....
After tailoring it to proper head size, try using colored nylon or para-cord (in your chosen crest colors) wrapped around in a binded fashion around your forehead to secure your coif in proper placement. Helps secure it snug when worn with a Great Helm. You can see mine in black & gold in my avatar. Gives the 12th century, 13th century maille look a better distinction I think.

You can get it at any place like JoAnn Fabrics or crafts store in the fabric section in varying colors.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-02, 15:23:02 »

Well, if you're carrying a little bit of a "spare tire" like I am, the narrowest point may be at your hips. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )