"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Need some information about facsimile comparisons  (Read 4122 times)

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
  • Knightliness is second to goodliness
Need some information about facsimile comparisons
« on: 2013-06-01, 14:43:52 »
Hello everyone.

I've been wanting to buy a copy of the Morgan Bible for a long time. I hate the internet when it comes to looking at manuscripts. It's convenient, but sorting through high res photos is doing my head in. I just want a nice clean book.

There's another great manuscript I found can be purchased in book form, the second family bestiary of http://bestiary.ca/manuscripts/manu1085.htm. Although, like the Morgan Bible, there are several publications which feature it also.

So what I need from you fantastic people is some advice. With any luck one of you has both copies of one of the manuscripts and can suggest one.

The Morgan Bible:
  • Old Testament Miniatures: A Medieval Picture Book with 283 Paintings from the Creation to the Story of David
  • The Book of Kings: Art, War and the Morgan Library's Medieval Picture Bible

Bodley 764 Bestiary:
  • The Book of Beasts: A Facsimile of Bodley 764
  • Bestiary: Being an English Version of the Bodleian Library, Oxford MS Bodley 764

So what is the difference between the two for each? Compare quality, size, information, clarity or whatever else. I really want to buy the one which is better.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-01, 14:50:05 by Sir Knight »

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
Re: Need some information about facsimile comparisons
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-01, 14:53:33 »
I should ask, are there any other facsimiles or books which feature whole manuscripts? I'm interested in the full text, but the illuminations are the important feature.

I particulary want a copy of this: http://image.ox.ac.uk/show?collection=bodleian&manuscript=msbodl264

There's a book called Illuminating the Roman D'Alexandre: Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Bodley 264, but I don't know if it has the manuscript or if it's just rants.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-01, 14:58:20 by Sir Knight »

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-02, 03:41:37 »
Hmm, that's a great first question and asking for help Sir Knight.  I too, have been researching the Morgan Bible, but I haven't been able to figure out a hard copy as of yet.  I must admit that in attaining a copy is a lower priority than other books and treatises like those from Dr. Barber and Dr. Upton-Ward on the Templars themselves. 

I do know that others here have vast personal libraries and hopefully one of them can help you out.  I'll also see what I can come up with.  I have good "google-fu" and I know of some places to buy even out-of-print texts.

YIS
B. Patricius
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-02, 06:45:59 »
Thanks Patricius!

The Book of Kings is significantly smaller and more recenty published than Old Testament Miniatures. They are both hardcover books, paperback seems very scarce.

Old Testament Miniatures has gone under various releases over the last 80 years (written in the 30s) and there is even word that it was released in small numbers with leather binding, fancy.  8) Some versions of it have omitted parts (comments and footnotes, etc) and others don't, but all copies seem to have the complete folios.

In other words, if unhepful Amazon descriptions and other loons on the internet can be trusted, you're safe buying any copy of Old Testament Miniatures but nobody has a clue about The Book of Kings. Unless you particularly want all of the original notes and writings by the people who participated in Old Testament Miniatures, any copy will probably do.

But I'm not satisfied with that. And don't you even get me started on Bodley 764!  :o
« Last Edit: 2013-06-02, 06:56:17 by Sir Knight »