"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Poleaxe and Falchion  (Read 8235 times)

MacDimm

• New Forum Member
  • Fearghas MacDimm of the Knights Hospitaller
    • White Bear Armoury
Re: Poleaxe and Falchion
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-10, 04:32:21 »
The longbow cache found in the Mary Rose excavation suggest a typical draw length of 30", which isn't unreasonable. Depending on his arm length, a natural draw to chin of 30" is plausible. For me 30" is to cheek, but i'm not a big guy. I would love to have his consistency with a longbow. I can do similar with a compound but my trad bow skills are spotty at best.
Sable, on a chief vert three crescents facing sinister sable, a bear rampant argent

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:12

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Poleaxe and Falchion
« Reply #16 on: 2013-07-10, 17:01:37 »
One good thing Kevin illustrates in that video is the shooting of the English Longbow in a horizontal short range fashion.  In the movies, you always see archers arcing their arrow shots in long range volleys.  While I'm sure this happened, if you look at the contemporary artwork during the Hundred Years War the archers are almost always depicted shooting flat trajectory volleys at shorter range.  This would be devastatingly powerful since the arrow still hasn't lost the majority of it's energy by the time it would impact it's target.  It's something overlooked quite frequently now-a-days I think.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum