"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Identify this sword  (Read 5657 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Identify this sword
« on: 2013-06-23, 03:24:00 »
Professional opinion from you forum sword enthusiasts, please identify this sword from the pics below: (Note detail & why you think it is so)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-23, 03:28:50 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Identify this sword
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-23, 11:25:11 »
Is it the new MRL "make your own sword" sword? It kinda looks like one and it has all the elements of one.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-23, 12:48:12 »
No, the mark on the blade is Albion's "First Generation" line. It looks to me like it's their First-Gen Crecy:

http://www.myarmoury.com/swor_alb_crec.php

The "first gen" swords used mostly Del Tin blades, but I'm not sure if this model did or not. In any case, it's their current "Next Gen" line where they make all of their own blades.

« Last Edit: 2013-06-23, 12:48:29 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-23, 13:18:43 »
No, the mark on the blade is Albion's "First Generation" line. It looks to me like it's their First-Gen Crecy:

Yep, that's their old maker's mark.  It's not this sword: Next Gen Albion Crecy

The 1st Gen Crecy, depending on when it was made it may or may not be hot peened, and it has a different blade style than the current XVI Crecy.  The grip is different too.  Hilt construction on 1st Gen Albions is not the same as Next Gen albions (wedged guard, and hot peened). 
« Last Edit: 2013-06-23, 13:25:40 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-23, 18:55:00 »
Maker's mark was the big identifier, based on the pictures. Based on the file name, they are all "Crecy" too. ;)

Is that a new acquisition of yours?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-23, 19:36:24 »
Maker's mark was the big identifier, based on the pictures. Based on the file name, they are all "Crecy" too. ;)

Is that a new acquisition of yours?

Wanted opinion of you fellow Albion lovers before obtaining. Made a bid for it. Some things I was not familiar with being the markings & hilt varied from current Albion Crecy design. Worth buying you think?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-23, 19:44:39 »
I just looked it up on ebay.  It's currently at $430... that's probably about the limit of what it's worth.  It comes with a wood-core scabbard, so with that in the price I'd say it's fair.  Anything beyond that though and I would steer well clear.  When people refer to the quality and all that's implied by the name Albion, they're not referring to first gens.  The First Gen lines are good swords, but the current Albion production swords are a world above, and you can get Next Gen used Albions for not much more than what this sword is being sold for.  The scabbard is all that's making it a good deal for now.
My Pinterest

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-23, 19:50:52 »
Thanks for input. :) I'll hold out & get the one I really want to spend money on.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-23, 19:55:57 »
If you're willing to spend a good chunk of change on a sword, get the one you really want :)  Settling on a sword leads to buyer's remorse, and you're gonna end up buying the one you really want later anyway... so save yourself the heartache ;)
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-23, 22:38:36 »
If you're willing to spend a good chunk of change on a sword, get the one you really want :)  Settling on a sword leads to buyer's remorse, and you're gonna end up buying the one you really want later anyway... so save yourself the heartache ;)

Bolding mine ... I'm not sure this is really a bad thing ;)

Let's spend your money Lord Dane! Buy the one off eBay so you have an Albion *now*, and put a downpayment on one through Albion for the one you *really* want; it's going to be 6 months or more before you get the one you order anyway, might as well have some instant gratification. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-23, 22:51:51 »
That sword actually looks quite nice, first gen Albions are nice, for that price with the scabbard thats a steal. If you want a next gen then save your money. Joe Metz actually told me the original blades were made by Angus Trim not Del Tin, I did check the weight on them they weigh about the same as next gens, just the hilt components are slightly different. Albion actually sells bare blades that are from the first gen on their site as well for solo projects.
 I actually had a bad case of buyers remorse from my old maille so I suggest getting what you want. I know I am eventually gonna want a next gen, I'm just waiting for a second hand one to be sold because I dont think I could ever afford a new one.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-23, 23:38:00 »
Always count on Sir James to hype up over spending on overpriced toys. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-24, 11:57:15 »
Ahhh...the 'Crecy Grete Swerd' as it was billed in one MyA article.  Unlike the current Crecy (like mine or Sir Ian's), which is a type XVI, the FirstGen Crecy was a type XIII, blade by DelTin I believe.  As the others have said, this is a good sword, and I've noticed that Del Tins have gone up in price (if not in quality) so $430 is about what it should be- so long as there aren't any major issues with the sword.  I'd check to see if that scabbard's a tight fit for that sword...I'd bought one where the scabbard was actually for a different sword and the fit was about as good as you'd expect if you'd say, bought a pair of shoes two sizes too large.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€