"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Appropriate Helm for cerca 1100-1187 Templar  (Read 24947 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Appropriate Helm for cerca 1100-1187 Templar
« Reply #15 on: 2013-05-10, 10:02:21 »
Sir William got it from Revival.us. It's a model usually only available in Europe, but Sir William bought it but didnt want it for some reason so he sold it to me for a good price. I use it for my 12th century Teutonic knight kit which I wore at Days of Knights. I quite like it, even with my arming cap and coif it's STILL a bit tight, as I have a massive head. People constantly commented on how it was "too big for my head" on Facebook, it wasn't if you wore it over an arming cap and coif like it was intended. Without one the flat top slides around and it doesnt fit the right way.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-05-10, 13:08:07 »
Ulrich, have you considered maybe padding the ring inside the helm?  By that I mean padding the inner edge so that you basically have a donut shape?  Then when you put it on, the top of your coif makes contact with the helm while the donut serves to bolster the helm around the crown of your head, making it more stable.  It was a thought I had when I first got it; I just wanted a different sort of helm is all.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Domini Canis - The Hound of the Lord
« Reply #17 on: 2013-05-19, 01:50:57 »
Well, I've narrowed it down to one (or two) of these three possibilities. Please let me know of any vetoes!

http://www.paulchenhanweiswords.com/flat-top-crusader-helmet-large.aspx

http://www.tienda-medieval.com/en/medieval-helmets/2971-Helm-flat-bald-functional.html#

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-20764-crusader-helmet-steel.aspx#

At this point, I just want a new helm. For sparring with wasters or steel, I will just have to break the rules and wear a full great helm even though they arrived after my death at Hattin. That will be purchased later....
'Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram; non veni pacem mittere sed gladium.' - Apocalypsis 22:21

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-05-19, 01:54:22 »
I would rule out that 3rd option.  One, the breaths are really big and so are the eyes, which could both be dangerous while sparring, and they're not historic looking. Medievalcollectibles.com is also a very hit or miss place to do business.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-05-19, 02:28:52 »
I would rule out that 3rd option.  One, the breaths are really big and so are the eyes, which could both be dangerous while sparring, and they're not historic looking. Medievalcollectibles.com is also a very hit or miss place to do business.

Bolding mine - Yes, it is a shot in the dark. Every time you order, it never says anything is out of stock. I had a Christmas present ordered in December, which was still on backorder at the beginning of this month with no ETA (in Feb they said Mar, then in Mar they said Apr...). I also ordered a helmet that turned out to be out of stock, and yes, after paying for them of course. Best bet if you want to order from them is to call to make sure it's available first.

As Ian said, the breaths in it are just way off. The Paul Chen would be my vote, since the eye slots look a bit more narrow. If you're going to fight at all, that's *critical*. Someone in Europe was killed with a synthetic sword when it went through his eye slot. Never take for granted that we're somehow immune to brutal accidents because we're 500-1,000 years more "advanced" than our favorite time periods. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #20 on: 2013-05-19, 04:02:01 »
Agreed, Sirs Ian and James: the MC helm (3rd option) is out.  :)
'Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram; non veni pacem mittere sed gladium.' - Apocalypsis 22:21

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #21 on: 2013-05-19, 05:08:05 »
Out of those three, I'd go for the hanwei.

But, playing devil's advocate as I often do, I wouldn't go for any of them.  http://3turretsarmoury.info/Topfhelm-008.htm, https://www.facebook.com/3turretsarmoury?fref=ts, a good guy on the armourarchive going by the name "whonew" is currently making a run of crusader tophelms.  He's making one for me as we speak.  He'd also do custom additions to it if you asked as well, and his prices are right in there and he's a small one-guy armourer. 

I'd talk to him before you make a final decision.  Just my .02. 
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #22 on: 2013-05-19, 05:41:35 »
Out of those three, I'd go for the hanwei.

But, playing devil's advocate as I often do, I wouldn't go for any of them.  http://3turretsarmoury.info/Topfhelm-008.htm, https://www.facebook.com/3turretsarmoury?fref=ts, a good guy on the armourarchive going by the name "whonew" is currently making a run of crusader tophelms.  He's making one for me as we speak.  He'd also do custom additions to it if you asked as well, and his prices are right in there and he's a small one-guy armourer. 

I'd talk to him before you make a final decision.  Just my .02. 

Done, Patrcius. I just sent an inquiry to his site. He does seem to have reasonable prices, too. Thanks!

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2013-05-19, 12:26:37 »
i love that one on the right, closest to the camera

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2013-05-19, 14:59:52 »
Oh yeah, 3Turrets is Les, he's a nice guy. Talked with him before, eventually planning to get a Wisby gaunt kit from him when I have some other ongoing projects wrapped up. Looks like he does good work.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #25 on: 2013-05-20, 11:27:07 »
Oh yeah, 3Turrets is Les, he's a nice guy. Talked with him before, eventually planning to get a Wisby gaunt kit from him when I have some other ongoing projects wrapped up. Looks like he does good work.

I'm getting a pair of Wisby gauntlets to complete my new kit for more authentic 13-14th century look. Should arrive end of week.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #26 on: 2013-05-20, 19:33:29 »
Lord Dane :) man oh man, you gotta post pics of those gauntlets when they arrive!  I'm wanting the kit myself.

Les/3turretsarmoury/whonew is an amazing guy.  I've been working with him this whole past week, and continually exceeds my expectations in communication.  Excellent guy!

Silvanus, I sincerely doubt we'll be disappointed.  I basically gave him a budget, my head measurements, and said have fun with them!  I'm getting one in 12 or 14 gauge and then one as well in 16ga without the back of head protection for a living history caliber helm for demonstrations.  I honestly can't decide which version of these helms I like more, so I sent him a bunch of references and told him to have fun with them.  I have to thank Sir Ian for that part, he makes a good point that when a craftsman gets excited about your concept, it's always good to let them make their mark on it as well.

On Tuesday he's getting back to me with a shipping quote, and we'll be going from there.  I can't wait to post up pics of the helm.  If it's alright with Silvanus, I'd like to keep you all updated on my helms in this topic, since my kit is very similar. 

Silvanus, glad I could help you brother!  After you posted your first inquiry here, I started looking around as a man on a mission for some good tophelms.  I can honestly say Les has exceeded my expectations thus far in our goals.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-05-20, 20:33:58 »
3turrets...I recall that name.  So that's whonew on the AA, is it?  I'd love to have the helm on the right as well.

Silvanus, of the 3 options you put forth, I wouldn't choose any of them- not w/out checking a few things first.  It seems you're aiming for as historical a look as possible- I'd look at some old exemplars first, note the construction method and then compare them w/your examples to see how close they come to it.

Let us know how it goes w/Les...he might get a couple more customers because of it. 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #28 on: 2013-05-21, 09:32:31 »
Let us know how it goes w/Les...he might get a couple more customers because of it.

For me anyway, it took a while to first hear from him, about a week or so, understandable.  After that, via facebook or e-mail, he's been talking with me quite a bit.  He did say this weekend was a holiday, so I wouldn't be hearing from him until Wednesday or so for the shipping quote.  I'm really excited to find out what helms he's sending me.  I like both of those helms, and that one on the right though, definitely looks different than anything else I've seen being made lately.