Main > The Round Table

Chivalry Never Existed: Debunking the Chivalry Myth

<< < (3/7) > >>

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-04-17, 19:05:01 ---Feminists in particular seem to be very angry in this way. I recall that once when I was in my first year at university (centuries ago now it seems) I was physically assaulted by a woman for simply holding the door open for her. Indeed I had held the door for several women, not her in particular and while the others thanked me, this one dropped her bag, punched me really hard in the chest and basically came after me with a vengeance. During her attack she accused me of insulting her womanhood and demeaning women.

Very luckily for me a campus policeman happened to see the entire then and he hauled her off of me in fairly short order. As hitting women is not something I would ever want to do I had done my best simply to hold her off from hitting me anymore.

A most unsavory experience to be sure - and I am sure that such things as direct violence from feminists - are rare. However it is one end of the spectrum.

I still hold doors open for the Ladies by the way. I am truly one who courts danger every day ;)  ;)

--- End quote ---

Corvus,
I know how you feel.  It's sad to say the "college life" hasn't changed.  I've been assaulted more in the past four years of being at university than I feel like I had my whole time in the military, training included!  One good friend, was a ROTC cadet and got spit on by someone, I grabbed him by the shoulders and yelled "Cadet! Your future is ahead of you, I already had the privilege.  Let me have this honor."  By the time I turned around the whole group of war protesters had ran.  One tripped and fell, tried to blame me, luckily a campus officer saw the whole thing.  He's a Marine as well, told me "I'd a let you trip them."

But yes, I too, live a dangerous life.  Staying at home, collecting a disability check, watching the two-year old because Mom found a full-time job before me.  Saddest part, people see me, fairly healthy, 30 and call me lazy without asking why I can't get up and down stairs easily.

Very similar to transference, I wonder when it just goes to plain selfishness and "I can do no wrong, for I am perfect and special."

I've always had an "internal locust of control" which I feel most people on this forum have as well, whether they realize it or not.  Couldn't be more eloquently put than Mr. Henley,
"I am the keeper of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

It is sad.  So many people now just easily blame others, enjoy google and wikipedia, and then blame the teacher/mentor/assistant for their bad grades or any other poor thing going their way.

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-17, 20:53:17 ---I got as far as:

--- Quote ---Because a man’s nature is violent, it is dominance to full extent.
--- End quote ---

Opening with that, well, I didn't care to read any further as I'm pretty sure I'd have minimal, if any, agreement on the rest of it...

--- End quote ---

and yes, after that I definitely had a sour taste in my mouth.  Tolerance is different than "love" as some like to say it, or "political correctness."  But beyond that, I'd rather have spineless "love" than someone with that much animosity towards the other half of their race.  I can't abide -centrism of any kind.

SirNathanQ:
Seems to me the spewings of artificial authority to tell others how to live coupled with tragic amounts of misinformation and angst.
The notions of man's dominant nature and how women truly desire to be "put in their place" and be dominated almost make me wonder if the whole thing was written by a very desperate man...
She is wrong on her scholarship, her conclusions from that scholarship, and her soundness of logic in further points isn't to be put into question, as it does not exist.

Corvus:

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-04-17, 20:57:47 ---

Corvus,
I know how you feel.  It's sad to say the "college life" hasn't changed.  I've been assaulted more in the past four years of being at university than I feel like I had my whole time in the military, training included!  One good friend, was a ROTC cadet and got spit on by someone, I grabbed him by the shoulders and yelled "Cadet! Your future is ahead of you, I already had the privilege.  Let me have this honor."  By the time I turned around the whole group of war protesters had ran.  One tripped and fell, tried to blame me, luckily a campus officer saw the whole thing.  He's a Marine as well, told me "I'd a let you trip them."

But yes, I too, live a dangerous life.  Staying at home, collecting a disability check, watching the two-year old because Mom found a full-time job before me.  Saddest part, people see me, fairly healthy, 30 and call me lazy without asking why I can't get up and down stairs easily.

--- End quote ---

I hear that bro.  And you know, everyone has had a few ups and downs during their lives - myself included. Life goes on and we do what we can. Those who seek to malign you for your way of life should perhaps keep their opinions on their own business.

There is no shame but indeed great honor in being the one to raise children at home. This is the 21st century; men do it all the time and I have too. Why should the ladies get all the fun?  ;)

B. Patricius:
Sir NathanQ,
in a few short sentences you described the argument that I couldn't in a multitude of replies.  Well done!

--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-04-17, 21:29:46 --- There is no shame but indeed great honor in being the one to raise children at home. This is the 21st century; men do it all the time and I have too. Why should the ladies get all the fun?  ;)

--- End quote ---

I couldn't agree more.

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir Brian:
Now that I am home and can access the blog I find myself in agreement with many of the conclusions of Corvus and B. Patricius about the woman's misdirected anger and yet I really just end up feeling sympathy for her and other women who share her mindset. Sympathy because she turned whatever negative experiences or reinforcements that she endured to set upon such a path of dejection to follow is truly regrettable but more so in that she didn't elect to search for an example of women from the middle ages who were paramount to the establishment and refinement of the nobility as a whole and a knight's chivalric endeavors. For instance, there is probably no greater matriarch of chivalric code than Eleanor of Aquitaine, who was a patron and inspiration of our Order's namesake.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version