"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: kult of athena has butted and riveted chausis NOW  (Read 25148 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: kult of athena has butted and riveted chausis NOW
« Reply #45 on: 2013-05-01, 00:36:57 »
sigh, i can't find any evidence for my poleyns with the helmet i made. and i really want to wear this kit for the pictures since its the most complete so looks like no poleyns for me :( lol. BUT that means they will go with a  later kit that i have to finish lol

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #46 on: 2013-05-02, 00:31:46 »
Sir Wolf,

I finally found that picture of the strapped chausses on the turn shoe!
  that guy's flikr is amazing!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/68529659@N00/pool/8765199@N07/
« Last Edit: 2013-05-02, 00:32:13 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 2013-05-02, 00:46:45 »
That's Joe Metz!  He's a buddy of ours with whom we attended Days of Knights last year.  His kits and encampments serve as an inspiration for us all.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 2013-05-02, 02:34:20 »
That's Joe Metz!  He's a buddy of ours with whom we attended Days of Knights last year.  His kits and encampments serve as an inspiration for us all.

Yep! Very cool guy.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #49 on: 2013-05-02, 20:35:25 »
I had a feeling you guys were fortunate enough to know him.  Man his flikr is such an inspiration!  I can't imagine seeing his kits up close.  I gotta prep for a trip east sometime soon, probably not this year, but I'd love to go to DOK.  There's something great when the website says it isn't a RenFaire and no fantastical outfits allowed.  That and I need me some Waffle House  :) it just isn't the same west of the Rio Grande
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #50 on: 2013-05-02, 23:12:37 »
joe is a cool guy to talk to. he suffers from some of the same afflictions as i do. (i can't do that it's not period. or uggg thats wrong on my kit? noooooooo now i gotta make a new one) lol

update. added some leather cords thru the knee areas and around the top of my mail chausis. hope this helps with some of the sag issues this Sunday. after that i am definitely taking them apart and fitting them as well as extending the back and sides

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #51 on: 2013-05-03, 01:10:19 »
Sir Wolf,
I hope those leather straps help out as that's what I'm planning for mine as well.  Mr. Metz's flikr showed how using that leather just below the knee helps them have enough room for the bend in the knee and keeping them up still as well.  Mine will only be half-chausses to start with (earlier period) so hopefully that'll make them easier, but we'll see!  :D

joe is a cool guy to talk to. he suffers from some of the same afflictions as i do. (i can't do that it's not period. or uggg thats wrong on my kit? noooooooo now i gotta make a new one) lol

there are far worse afflictions to suffer from, genericeltings being one example, pointy ears being another!  ;D
« Last Edit: 2013-05-03, 01:11:25 by B. Patricius »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #52 on: 2013-05-03, 01:49:56 »
i found some art that actually showed a garter strap below the knee. i just dont wanna go that route.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #53 on: 2013-05-03, 02:52:15 »
there are far worse afflictions to suffer from, genericeltings being one example, pointy ears being another!  ;D

Genericeltings? Ha! Haven't heard that one before.

One of the new terms I heard at MDRF in the last couple of years is "prostiteers", for the slutty-looking female pirates. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 2013-05-03, 06:10:01 »
One of the new terms I heard at MDRF in the last couple of years is "prostiteers", for the slutty-looking female pirates. :)

Oh, that is golden.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #55 on: 2013-05-04, 01:27:06 »
Genericeltings? Ha! Haven't heard that one before.

ooohh, I really like that one.  I'll have to pass that one on to my reenactment buddies back in Dana Point.  They strive for "accurate enough" as a compromise.  It's a shame too, there are so many in that group that are knowledgeable and love teaching others, they just also don't have the "say" within the group.

Sir Wolf, definitely avoid the garters! :D Man oh man, just reminds me of "shirt-stays" in the military.  They were something of a trend in A-school in the Coast Guard.  Everyone (myself included) for the most part wore them because they were trying to emulate their old Company Commanders (which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all).  Then when we'd all sit down, you'd almost hear a joint "SNAP!" as they snapped out of place, and usually always the lower ones...  I don't think I need to tell you where the unlucky ones hit  ;) ;D

I'd avoid anything like that with all due haste!  Beyond that though, maybe another form of strapping could work, on the lateral sides maybe? Just thought of something like the comfy thigh-rigs we used to wear.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-04, 01:28:09 by B. Patricius »