Main > The Round Table

Weapon of Choice?

<< < (12/12)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-05-02, 22:18:37 ---is that the 58 army? i have a 51 navy and a 60 new army

--- End quote ---
close enough  ;)
It's actually an original Remington "Old Model" or "Second Model" which was produced shortly after the Beals.  Most "58 Army" replicas today replicate the "New Model" which follows this one.  Basically the cylinder on this one is way easier to remove and replace than the other two, which apparently the Union Army didn't like, they were afraid of cavalrymen losing cylinders, so they adapted it again to Union specifications, which created the New Model Army.
Here's one of the best online resources I've found for a quick review of the Remington Revolvers: http://armscollectors.com/mgs/an_army_and_two_navies_pt_1.htm

basically I like the "Old Model" because of the quick change cylinder, and the high spur hammer.  Also, it may just be me, but she balances better too.

and yes, medieval re-enactment is only one of my nerdisms ;)

I too own Colt 51 navies and a couple 60 armies as well.

these aren't mine, again the FUBAR with the camera, but these are very similar to mine.  My Colt Navies are second generation and class b engraved... sexy supermodels!  8)

Ian:
That one on the bottom is dead sexy.

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-03, 00:22:25 ---That one on the bottom is dead sexy.

--- End quote ---
I wholeheartedly agree.  It was the first model of the Colt Army.  Back in the day, the fluted cylinder caused cracks so they went to a full cylinder.  It's nice to see Uberti is replicating it now, and its metal is far stronger.  The other weekend, in Lake Havasu I saw a gorgeous Colt "New" Navy, a 1861, which looks a lot like the Army but in .36.  She had a 5 1/2" barrel and the fluted cylinder.  Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to make my Army with that barrel length and a birdshead grip.  That would be the epitome of sexiness.  I love the Colt open tops, it's just the Remington is a far stronger and more reliable cap & ball, hence why she's my fave.

basically here's what I'm working on:
- good pic of the full barrel in comparison to the 5 1/2"
the birdshead grip.

Ironically the birdshead grip is easy-peasy.  Already got that taken care of, now it's getting brave enough to cut the barrel that the trick ;)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-03, 00:22:25 ---That one on the bottom is dead sexy.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I love the handle grips. Is the wood walnut?? It is very deep in finish & color.

B. Patricius:
Lord Dane,

the grips originally on Italian clones are some sort of deep brown wood, but they aren't walnut.  Something far cheaper.  Then they stain them with a red hue and a urethane.  I don't like it personally.  The original Remington Old Model I have pictured does have walnut grips.  Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany and Ebony are my favorite grips besides the synthetic ivories, but those depend on the manufacturer... some looks amazing and very real, others look like white plastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version