"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Poll

If you were forced to perform ground combat which would you prefer?

Rapier
5 (20.8%)
1700's Standard Longsword
3 (12.5%)
Scimitar
0 (0%)
Polearm
8 (33.3%)
Two-Handed Sword
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 2013-05-03, 06:59:07

Author Topic: Weapon of Choice?  (Read 29536 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Weapon of Choice?
« Reply #30 on: 2013-04-27, 21:26:14 »
Your right, there is no time period restrictions. I am just wanting to see your preference, however I guess I should make it to were it needs to be a weapon you KNOW how to use.

I "know how to use"... and any time-period...

FNH 249 PARA, Kimber 1911, and a Desert Tactical Arms SRS Rifle in .338 lapua, and yes, I'm proficient in all. ;)  Beyond that, a radio comms and throat mic is nice too, to be able to get ahold of the boys that can use the A-10, Kiowa, and Harrier ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-27, 21:28:36 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #31 on: 2013-04-29, 21:01:31 »
The only tool I'd really need would be a half decent bush knife, though a nice sword could also come in handy  ;)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-04-29, 21:08:57 »
Your right, there is no time period restrictions. I am just wanting to see your preference, however I guess I should make it to were it needs to be a weapon you KNOW how to use.

OK, I'm going to assume man portable individual weapon here:

Pregunpowder? Longbow. I'm not bad with one. It was not surpassed as a mankiller till after rifles came about, has a good range and rate of fire, and multiple ammo options. Wearing a byrnie, CoP, greaves, Bacinet + aventail, and vambraces. With a sword, dagger, & buckler to back me.

Modern? AK-47 & bayonet. I'm decent with one. The round hits hard, the range is not longer than I can make use of, and the weapon is reliable as all getout. With a good armoured jacket, helm, and other 1st world battlefield kit. and a S&W XD .45ACP for backup.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-29, 21:16:07 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #33 on: 2013-04-29, 21:35:16 »
bah i hate ak's they feel all like pig metal in my hands lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-04-29, 23:27:18 »
Rocket-powered chainsaw launcher with a longsword bayonet
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #35 on: 2013-04-30, 14:34:13 »
laptop with satellite guided smart missiles and a bunker. for the win.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #36 on: 2013-04-30, 16:10:45 »
bah i hate ak's they feel all like pig metal in my hands lol

Yeah, it's hard to fault them for reliability, but I don't care for the feel either. The AR is much more comfortable, and modular. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-04-30, 19:31:23 »
My preferred long range solution.  24 Tubes of Trident II missiles, each with multiple warheads.  A single unit capable of quite literally extinction level events, yet preventing global chaos on a daily basis :)

Oh, and I'll settle the old argument once and for all.  AR > AK, there done. ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-30, 19:35:57 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #38 on: 2013-04-30, 21:36:22 »
i knew Sir Ian likes seamen

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #39 on: 2013-05-01, 20:49:43 »
Rocket-powered chainsaw launcher with a longsword bayonet

LMAO   ;D that's awesome!

And I'll second Sir Ian's, and Thorstein's responses.  All are exceptionally good.  I do like crossbows myself because of their "look" but you can't go wrong with a good longbow in capable hands.

Thorstein, I do love that Springfield XD, I remember when she first came out and I got to put one through its paces.  I'm just an external hammer man myself, so I stick with an H&K.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2013-05-01, 21:04:41 »
the H&K USP is the smoothest stock trigger and cleanest break of any pistol I've ever fired... BUT, I've really come to love striker fired pistols.  I'm a Glock man I guess, but I'm in the market for an M&P right now.  The XD's being made in Croatia kinda bothers me for some reason :)
My Pinterest

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #41 on: 2013-05-02, 00:40:47 »
Check out the M&P before you go for it Ian.  I've heard some mixed reviews from gun owners and gunshops that carry it with disgruntled customers.  Just a head's up!  8)  I personally think Smith&Wesson isn't what it once was, but still is one of the better options out there.  They're all good, and do what they need to do.  Just check ahead of time.  Some I hear are amazing and do exactly what they are supposed to, others are lemons.  I think it's more a quality control issue rather than the technology or design itself.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2013-05-02, 00:45:33 »
Check out the M&P before you go for it Ian.  I've heard some mixed reviews from gun owners and gunshops that carry it with disgruntled customers.  Just a head's up!  8)  I personally think Smith&Wesson isn't what it once was, but still is one of the better options out there.  They're all good, and do what they need to do.  Just check ahead of time.  Some I hear are amazing and do exactly what they are supposed to, others are lemons.  I think it's more a quality control issue rather than the technology or design itself.

S&W had some similar QA issues with their M&P rifles a while back.  Word on the street is they've since corrected the issues, but I'm sure there are still some crappy ones out there.  I love Glock, I'm just in the mood for something a little different this time 'round.
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2013-05-02, 03:21:44 »

I don't have any striker pistols currently, though my wife has one. So far my favorite configuration is on the Sig Sauers: an external hammer with a de-cocking lever instead of a manual safety.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Domini Canis - The Hound of the Lord
« Reply #44 on: 2013-05-02, 04:09:10 »
A simple longsword was my vote, although, as was said, the term 'longsword' is a bit vague....

I shot an AR-15 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It's hard not to fall in love with them. My Ruger P89 was jealous....
'Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram; non veni pacem mittere sed gladium.' - Apocalypsis 22:21