Main > The Round Table

Weapon of Choice?

<< < (6/12) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: RackThor on 2013-04-26, 15:42:40 ---Long Range Clarification: You are out of hand to hand combat range. Therefore you must resort to weapons that either use projectiles, or can be used as a projectile.

--- End quote ---

As a single combatant? Longbow

As a group of combatants? Longbows :D

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: RackThor on 2013-04-26, 15:42:40 ---Long Range Clarification: You are out of hand to hand combat range. Therefore you must resort to weapons that either use projectiles, or can be used as a projectile.

--- End quote ---

My choice still works as no time period or tech range has been chosen. Tomahawk missile anyone?  :)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-26, 16:22:58 ---

--- End quote ---

As a single combatant? Longbow

As a group of combatants? Longbows :D

--- End quote ---

QFT definitely, in period at least  ;D, i'd go for the longbows.

Beyond that, Aegis systems are definitely nice  8)

RackThor:

I am using the paper as a thesis on how each type of weapon choice and situation causes a change in someones style, choices, and I am learning from the paper as well. At the heart of  it is me watching people play a game of chess, and how their game changes based on the playing field.

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-04-17, 17:22:54 ---This was an excellent topic to read through. 

First to the main question of the topic:
I selected "rapier" and "two-handed sword" as my choices given what was offered. 
Rapier - because ever since reading, then seeing "The Three Musketeers" and the black and white "Zorro" on Disney Channel growing up, I took it upon myself to learn rapier and I'm always amazed at how little I know.
"two-handed sword" was an easy one, as a claidheamh mor was placed into my hands at the ripe old age of six!  My grandmother (maiden name Kearney, her mother, Wallace) felt that to be a proper boy and understand concentration, control, and get out physical angst, nothing was better than a claymore on a tire pell!

My question back: what else are you looking for in this paper, are you trying to show them (the academie) what you have learned, or are you trying to grow and learn through this paper?  As a fellow scholar (masters emphasis in experimental archaeology) please by all means share what you're working on when you are able!  Also, I enjoyed the lack of options and the vagueness of the poll.  It made it very hard, and one that required concentration.  I have recently been spending most of my time either with iaido or working on my single sword and shield technique, so seeing neither (especially the sword and shield) on that poll really threw me for a loop as well.

Also, in my studies of anthropology, I can help you in one thing:
we are all human, and everything follows a set function, and in my studies, both martially and scholarly, no set martial art or set type of "warrior" is better than another.  They all have their individual merits and strengths, without any easily perceived weaknesses when viewing a master at their given trade.  Even if you are only working in a weapon form within the SCA, or just through books, or eastern martial arts, all of that can then be applied to your own "art" within it.  As one of my sifu's once said "a belt is to hold your pants up, if you're foolish enough not to tie them."

Good luck on your paper
YIS
B. Patricius

--- End quote ---

RackThor:
Your right, there is no time period restrictions. I am just wanting to see your preference, however I guess I should make it to were it needs to be a weapon you KNOW how to use.

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-04-26, 19:11:32 ---

--- End quote ---

My choice still works as no time period or tech range has been chosen. Tomahawk missile anyone?  :)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version