"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Poll

If you were forced to perform ground combat which would you prefer?

Rapier
5 (20.8%)
1700's Standard Longsword
3 (12.5%)
Scimitar
0 (0%)
Polearm
8 (33.3%)
Two-Handed Sword
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 2013-05-03, 06:59:07

Author Topic: Weapon of Choice?  (Read 29528 times)

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
Re: Weapon of Choice?
« Reply #15 on: 2013-04-17, 00:32:50 »
Lord Dane  I would much wish to train with you, western stave use is unknown to me , only eastern techniques.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #16 on: 2013-04-17, 01:12:08 »
Lord Dane  I would much wish to train with you, western stave use is unknown to me , only eastern techniques.

Little far from Wisconsin. I studied both Eastern and Western martial arts style(s) and took what I like from each for both philosophy and practicality. Aikido and Ed Parker's Kempo integrate well with my personal tastes but that's just me. Mix it with some Gracie style Ju Jitsu and grappling..... you got my preference for how to use your body for effective fighting.

Always use what works best for what you are up against. Weapons training is pointless if you can't use what you already have naturally. Mind, body, and then skill. In every case, you need to show discipline and a willingness to listen and show good sense. Can't take the stupid out of ignorance or instill rationality into senseless people. Be open and receptive always and share what you know. Students better themselves by being such and instructors self-improve by doing the same.   

Western style / Eastern style with bo staff is no different to me. You turn that bo staff into an edged weapon and you'll see much difference in technique to coincide.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-17, 01:19:58 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #17 on: 2013-04-17, 17:22:54 »
This was an excellent topic to read through. 

First to the main question of the topic:
I selected "rapier" and "two-handed sword" as my choices given what was offered. 
Rapier - because ever since reading, then seeing "The Three Musketeers" and the black and white "Zorro" on Disney Channel growing up, I took it upon myself to learn rapier and I'm always amazed at how little I know.
"two-handed sword" was an easy one, as a claidheamh mor was placed into my hands at the ripe old age of six!  My grandmother (maiden name Kearney, her mother, Wallace) felt that to be a proper boy and understand concentration, control, and get out physical angst, nothing was better than a claymore on a tire pell!

My question back: what else are you looking for in this paper, are you trying to show them (the academie) what you have learned, or are you trying to grow and learn through this paper?  As a fellow scholar (masters emphasis in experimental archaeology) please by all means share what you're working on when you are able!  Also, I enjoyed the lack of options and the vagueness of the poll.  It made it very hard, and one that required concentration.  I have recently been spending most of my time either with iaido or working on my single sword and shield technique, so seeing neither (especially the sword and shield) on that poll really threw me for a loop as well.

Also, in my studies of anthropology, I can help you in one thing:
we are all human, and everything follows a set function, and in my studies, both martially and scholarly, no set martial art or set type of "warrior" is better than another.  They all have their individual merits and strengths, without any easily perceived weaknesses when viewing a master at their given trade.  Even if you are only working in a weapon form within the SCA, or just through books, or eastern martial arts, all of that can then be applied to your own "art" within it.  As one of my sifu's once said "a belt is to hold your pants up, if you're foolish enough not to tie them."

Good luck on your paper
YIS
B. Patricius
« Last Edit: 2013-04-17, 17:28:30 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

RackThor

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2013-04-22, 15:08:48 »
I wanted to thank everyone for your participation, and your reply's are more data that i can compile.
Now I would like to hear about your favored long range battle set ups. What do you wear, use, and what is it that makes you more apt to use this combination rather than others?
Dragons live in us all, but it takes knowing ones self to become the knight capable of slaying it

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #19 on: 2013-04-22, 15:27:18 »
Depends on what you consider long range. So here is what I think.
1) Nothing beats a good war horse with armor and armored rider. Weapons vary for me on this category, I love polish sabers as I grew up with them. So that and a lance and a few estock(s).
2) If you mean on foot, my preferred long range kit (excluding projectiles) is rather a close range kit. A two-handed sword, and latter plate armors.  For an earlier kit I would settle for riveted chain and a Danish axe.
3) Projectiles are a bit too complicated to discuss in my opinion, as many were designed to be used in a unit in a military mind set.

my two cents, (though do to recent inflation are probably worth 1/2 that lol)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-04-22, 19:52:08 »
 "favored long range battle set ups"

Well if I get that large a playground to set up in I'll take...

The USS Iowa with modern refurbishments and air cover.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #21 on: 2013-04-24, 22:14:09 »
"favored long range battle set ups"

Well if I get that large a playground to set up in I'll take...

The USS Iowa with modern refurbishments and air cover.

LMAO  ;D I was thinking of an A-10, Kiowa, or Harrier that can support me long range and danger close myself at first!

I really don't know what to think of for "in-period" though... a good horse, trebuchet, ballista, etc...  but beyond that, in period, nothing for me is better than being up close and personal with a sword.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2013-04-25, 02:16:47 »
that is so cool.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-04-25, 04:44:19 »
RackThor, what did you mean by Favored long range battle set-ups?

RackThor

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: 2013-04-26, 15:42:40 »
Long Range Clarification: You are out of hand to hand combat range. Therefore you must resort to weapons that either use projectiles, or can be used as a projectile.
Dragons live in us all, but it takes knowing ones self to become the knight capable of slaying it

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-04-26, 16:22:58 »
Long Range Clarification: You are out of hand to hand combat range. Therefore you must resort to weapons that either use projectiles, or can be used as a projectile.

As a single combatant? Longbow

As a group of combatants? Longbows :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-04-26, 19:11:32 »

My choice still works as no time period or tech range has been chosen. Tomahawk missile anyone?  :)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-26, 19:12:38 by Thorsteinn »

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #27 on: 2013-04-26, 19:24:28 »

As a single combatant? Longbow

As a group of combatants? Longbows :D

QFT definitely, in period at least  ;D, i'd go for the longbows.

Beyond that, Aegis systems are definitely nice  8)

RackThor

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: 2013-04-27, 18:52:29 »

I am using the paper as a thesis on how each type of weapon choice and situation causes a change in someones style, choices, and I am learning from the paper as well. At the heart of  it is me watching people play a game of chess, and how their game changes based on the playing field.

This was an excellent topic to read through. 

First to the main question of the topic:
I selected "rapier" and "two-handed sword" as my choices given what was offered. 
Rapier - because ever since reading, then seeing "The Three Musketeers" and the black and white "Zorro" on Disney Channel growing up, I took it upon myself to learn rapier and I'm always amazed at how little I know.
"two-handed sword" was an easy one, as a claidheamh mor was placed into my hands at the ripe old age of six!  My grandmother (maiden name Kearney, her mother, Wallace) felt that to be a proper boy and understand concentration, control, and get out physical angst, nothing was better than a claymore on a tire pell!

My question back: what else are you looking for in this paper, are you trying to show them (the academie) what you have learned, or are you trying to grow and learn through this paper?  As a fellow scholar (masters emphasis in experimental archaeology) please by all means share what you're working on when you are able!  Also, I enjoyed the lack of options and the vagueness of the poll.  It made it very hard, and one that required concentration.  I have recently been spending most of my time either with iaido or working on my single sword and shield technique, so seeing neither (especially the sword and shield) on that poll really threw me for a loop as well.

Also, in my studies of anthropology, I can help you in one thing:
we are all human, and everything follows a set function, and in my studies, both martially and scholarly, no set martial art or set type of "warrior" is better than another.  They all have their individual merits and strengths, without any easily perceived weaknesses when viewing a master at their given trade.  Even if you are only working in a weapon form within the SCA, or just through books, or eastern martial arts, all of that can then be applied to your own "art" within it.  As one of my sifu's once said "a belt is to hold your pants up, if you're foolish enough not to tie them."

Good luck on your paper
YIS
B. Patricius

RackThor

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: 2013-04-27, 18:54:56 »
Your right, there is no time period restrictions. I am just wanting to see your preference, however I guess I should make it to were it needs to be a weapon you KNOW how to use.

My choice still works as no time period or tech range has been chosen. Tomahawk missile anyone?  :)