"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: In Game of Thrones News...  (Read 7247 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: In Game of Thrones News...
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-05, 18:00:29 »
Supposedly the Red Wedding has its basis in history.  The Black Dinner of 1440 in Scotland, where the 6th Earl of Douglas was murdered.  At the end of the dinner a black bull's head was brought into the feasting area (a symbol of death), and then the Earl and his companions were subdued and beheaded.

As I understand in the books Talisa was not present at the Red Wedding, and thus wasn't brutally murdered at it like in the show.

Correct. Also, The Wall was influenced by Hadrian's Wall in England/Scotland. And Talisa was not the original bride in the books. It was Jeyne of House Westerling who married King Robb.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-05, 20:57:52 »
Yup...and Jeyne wasn't murdered at all.  Nor was she present at said wedding.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-06, 07:09:54 »
I was thinking after talking with a friend about it, that Game of Thrones is based alot on the War of the Roses as well.  The "Lannisters" in the show definitely have some resemblance to the Lancasters of history.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-06, 08:21:11 »
I was looking into the story & regions of Westeros on the actual story line ...
According to recall accounts from Jaime Lannister, Ned Stark, and others, the most notable knight they have ever known in person was Ser Edric of House DAYNE, Lord of Starfall in Dorne. He is the one who leads the Brotherhood of No Banners in the Riverlands who held Arya Stark as their guest for a time & who fought the Hound when he was captured. They put alot of detail into this story.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-06, 13:36:45 »
That was Edric?  I could have sworn it was Lord Beric Dondarrion who led that brotherhood, along with Thoros of Myr.  The Hound actually 'killed' Beric, but Thoros brought him back w/the kiss of life (which I've always assumed was a mystical form of CPR).

At least that is what is written in the books themselves.  Is this from the show's storyline?  I've noticed a few things that have been changed for the show from the novels.

As for the Sword in the Morning that is remembered and revered the most, that would be Ser Arthur Dayne.  From the Wiki (easier than finding the actual page in the book)

"Eddard recalls that Arthur Dayne was the finest knight he ever saw. Jaime Lannister and Barristan Selmy also recall him with the highest degree of respect."

And I stand corrected on Edric Dayne being part of the Brotherhood...I must've skipped right past that; for the rest of the books there's little mention made of Edric, Beric being the main leader by the time they meet Arya, who was in the company of the Hound until she got away from him.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06, 13:57:52 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€