"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Mistaken identity  (Read 6041 times)

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Mistaken identity
« on: 2013-03-16, 20:55:20 »
Just thought some of you may find this article about the effigies in the Temple Church in London interesting.
http://www.castlewales.com/mistaken_identity.html

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Mistaken identity
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-17, 01:10:45 »
Wow, it certainly does get complicated.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-17, 05:00:58 »
Well, that was certainly a brain twister. She raises some very valid points, and also touched on something I wondered about - what does the crossed or uncrossed legs mean. At least we know our Marshal coat of arms is correct, even if we aren't sure the effigy is! :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-19, 21:10:21 »
William the Marshal died an excommunicate?  I had not read that anywhere else...given that he was buried as a Templar, that kind of knocks that notion to the ground doesn't it?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-19, 23:09:01 »
William the Marshal died an excommunicate?  I had not read that anywhere else...given that he was buried as a Templar, that kind of knocks that notion to the ground doesn't it?

I believe it was Sir Edward who said (upon the Book of Faces) that Marshal took the Templar vows on his death bed?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-20, 01:53:41 »
Yes, I've read elsewhere that he had promised during his years in the holy land that he would one day take the Templar vows. On his deathbed, he finally chose to do so. This required relinquishing his marriage, and his wife agreed to let him go at that point. I hadn't heard anything him supposedly being excommunicated.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-20, 01:54:07 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-20, 18:02:35 »
Well, he was cursed by a Welsh bishop who probably argued for the Marshal's excommunication, but as Sir Edward said- I have not read anything that gives this notion weight.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-21, 23:10:59 »
Well, he was cursed by a Welsh bishop who probably argued for the Marshal's excommunication, but as Sir Edward said- I have not read anything that gives this notion weight.

Quite funny that I am reading this post and I am re reading a book on Sir William Marshall.  Nope I did not come across any reference or record stating the Marshall being excommunicated. 

I've read elsewhere that he had promised during his years in the holy land that he would one day take the Templar vows. On his deathbed, he finally chose to do so. This required relinquishing his marriage, and his wife agreed to let him go at that point.

I read that and I was blown away at how understanding she was of her husband's wishes. 

But I do agree that the article does bring out the complications of identity.  However I can say that it does point out past mistakes and raises new questions. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-22, 13:38:21 »
Which book on the Marshal, Joshua?

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2013-03-22, 15:37:41 »
"William Marshal: Knight Errant, Baron, and Regent of England" by Sidney Painter.  I found this in the library if Kean University.  I was also able to find a copy of "William Marshal: The Flower of Chivalry" by Georges Duby.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Hrolfr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2013-03-28, 23:58:44 »
I have read somewhere that the (either) crossed or uncrossed legs indicated that the person the effigy was carved for either did or did not go on a Crusade.

Kinda foggy on which was either.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2013-03-29, 01:34:21 »
crossed legs means he has to forever hold his pee

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-29, 14:14:51 »
crossed legs means he has to forever hold his pee

(citation needed)

:)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-29, 19:35:03 »
"William Marshal: Knight Errant, Baron, and Regent of England" by Sidney Painter.  I found this in the library if Kean University.  I was also able to find a copy of "William Marshal: The Flower of Chivalry" by Georges Duby.

I've read the Duby book, as well as Crouch's William Marshal: Knighthood, War and Chivalry, 1147-1219; but not Painter.  I'll have to check that out.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2013-04-01, 23:48:19 »
I've read the Duby book, as well as Crouch's William Marshal: Knighthood, War and Chivalry, 1147-1219; but not Painter.  I'll have to check that out.

Excellent, there is good reason to like Duby's book.  I have yet to catch Crouch's book.  Painter's book is biographical and has good historical information in it.  It is a very good book that does justice to the legacy of Sir William Marshal.
Knight of The Lion Blade