"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Shield of the Black Knight of the Order of the Marshal  (Read 11752 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Shield of the Black Knight of the Order of the Marshal
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-01, 06:31:09 »
Sent them an email about getting one done. That actually looks a lot nicer than the ones with the hose edges. They did say my coat of arms would take longer to paint on but I hope it comes out well enough. Shapes wise I am going with this one

As it seems more pointed at the bottom which I noticed on German effigies the shields were usually triangular shaped.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-01, 07:51:58 »
Nice!

When will you get to test out it's usability? Will there be pics?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-01, 16:17:10 »
That's the basic shape I use for my shields thus far; going to have them do up a couple more for me.  Make sure you tell them you want the steel edging (or if it is just for show, no edging) - the hose edging is ugly and only useful if you're going to be using it in the SCA as I am not sure they allow steel rimmed shields on the field.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-03-01, 18:46:45 »
You don't need hose for the edging. That comes from folks choosing convenience over looks. It's just a safety rule to preserve equipment & people on both sides. I use canvas covered rope or rawhide nowadays, but I've seen folks use bare wood that was treated with epoxy, or rounded metal channeling. Even an aspie like me gets that this is about spirit rather than law.

From the West Kingdom Armored Combat Rules:
"Shields shall be edged with leather, padding, or other covering or constructed in such a way as to minimize damage to rattan weapons or other fighters."
----
"No bolts, wires, or other objects may project more than 3/8 inch (9mm) from any part of a shield without being padded. Rounded shield bosses are not considered to be projections, handles, or other forms of hand protection are not included in this category."
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #19 on: 2013-03-01, 18:55:13 »
You don't need hose for the edging. That comes from folks choosing convenience over looks. It's just a safety rule to preserve equipment & people on both sides. I use canvas covered rope or rawhide nowadays, but I've seen folks use bare wood that was treated with epoxy, or rounded metal channeling. Even an aspie like me gets that this is about spirit rather than law.

"Shields shall be edged with leather, padding, or other covering or constructed in such a way as to minimize damage to rattan weapons or other fighters."
----
"No bolts, wires, or other objects may project more than 3/8 inch (9mm) from any part of a shield without being padded. Rounded shield bosses are not considered to be projections, handles, or other forms of hand protection are not included in this category."

Agreed, hide is the way to go authentically, and will make you shield last a whole lot longer in combat.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #20 on: 2013-03-02, 13:39:20 »

----

Agreed, hide is the way to go authentically, and will make you shield last a whole lot longer in combat.
G.

But then there would no need to buy new replacement shields, Lord Gerard.  :-\ Being a bunch of shop-a-holics (or spend-your-money-holics), I fail to see the logic in this even if time-period & money-saving. :P LOL
« Last Edit: 2013-03-02, 13:47:33 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2013-03-02, 14:00:02 »
Two shields, actually- a Beausant and another one of this guiged correctly.  Is that a word?  Should be.

Wait, bought one, and buy *two* more? I'm not sure I can contain that level of excitement!

I'm good with guiged. It's official a word now. :D

Good to know it's now official and not officially. Otherwise, I would feel slightly be-guiged.  :P
« Last Edit: 2013-03-02, 14:01:08 by Lord Dane »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2013-03-02, 18:30:33 »
Two shields, actually- a Beausant and another one of this guiged correctly.  Is that a word?  Should be.

Wait, bought one, and buy *two* more? I'm not sure I can contain that level of excitement!

Good to know it's now official and not officially. Otherwise, I would feel slightly be-guiged.  :P

Hmm. I see what you did there. And what I did there. Whoops. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #23 on: 2013-03-16, 13:40:46 »
We're a punny group of Knights....

Great shield Sir William! Yeah, having that guige moved will make a world of difference. On mine, I can almost toss them to the front, or only pass my arm through the rear arm strap, and with the guige around my neck, control the shield with my hand free.
Also there's nothing really that looks more boss hanging off the back of a suit of armour than a well mounted shield in the correct heraldry (except perhaps a military order mantle  ;))
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2013-03-19, 21:22:24 »

This, from the man who repeatedly fires off his responses to the wrong person is giving grammar lessons.  It is a new world, gents.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2013-03-19, 21:30:30 »

This, from the man who repeatedly fires off his responses to the wrong person is giving grammar lessons.  It is a new world, gents.  lol
[/quote/]

Ahhhh, touché Sir William. I guess I'll just have to add you to my hammer list. :P lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-03-19, 23:04:22 »

[/quote/]

Ahhhh, touché Sir William. I guess I'll just have to add you to my hammer list. :P lol

And messing up syntax on quoting of replies, so that the reply ends up in the quote too!

Am I on the hammer list now too?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2013-03-19, 23:11:07 »

[/quote/]

And messing up syntax on quoting of replies, so that the reply ends up in the quote too!

Am I on the hammer list now too?

Least my mistakes are consistent within given forum parameters. :) Always room on the hammer list, Good Sirs. :) We'll just save that for fun at the next Order outing. ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-20, 00:45:22 by Lord Dane »

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #28 on: 2013-03-20, 00:21:54 »
So I see now that almost half of our knights can engage in the hammer-related puns hereabouts too?
Welcome aboard gents.... :P 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-03-20, 18:05:12 »
We'll just have to call him 'Anvil' from that point on, eh? :)