"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Spurs  (Read 14212 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Spurs
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-21, 22:46:51 »
How much do gilded ones cost?

$20 extra
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-29, 18:07:58 »
Allright I am planning on getting a pair, still unsure of what type to get, i'm doing late 13th early 14th century, I DO like the look of the spurs with the stars more than the "prick spurs" I may get them gilded, not sure if it's ok for me to get them gilded cause I'm not yet a knight in this order, I also read that military orders like the teutonic knights had orders AGAINST having decorative parts in their armor so maybe I should just go with bronze just for that. Still gotta make up my mind fast because I want them in time for the reenacting season.

https://www.quietpress.com/spurs.html
There are my choices, I think going with an earlier design would be better cause there might be older types passed down in later centuries. I did read prick spurs never died out. I still like the ones with the stars better cause they make that clinging noise when you walk and that might be cool to me for some reason.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-29, 18:17:52 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-29, 18:55:16 »
Oh, its very cool, Ulrich.  You can't hear the prick spurs at all...but you can hear the rowels jangling as they spin on their own and such.  I love it...although you won't hear it while you're on the Fairegrounds unless its quiet - which it usually is not.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #18 on: 2013-03-29, 18:58:51 »
Oh, its very cool, Ulrich.  You can't hear the prick spurs at all...but you can hear the rowels jangling as they spin on their own and such.  I love it...although you won't hear it while you're on the Fairegrounds unless its quiet - which it usually is not.

I prefer the metallic clang from separating my sword blade from its scabbard to jangling spurs in getting knightly attention, Sir William. Maybe you would be perfect for the wild west show, Wild Bill (William). lol :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-03-29, 19:25:53 »
Allright I am planning on getting a pair, still unsure of what type to get, i'm doing late 13th early 14th century, I DO like the look of the spurs with the stars more than the "prick spurs" I may get them gilded, not sure if it's ok for me to get them gilded cause I'm not yet a knight in this order, I also read that military orders like the teutonic knights had orders AGAINST having decorative parts in their armor so maybe I should just go with bronze just for that. Still gotta make up my mind fast because I want them in time for the reenacting season.

https://www.quietpress.com/spurs.html
There are my choices, I think going with an earlier design would be better cause there might be older types passed down in later centuries. I did read prick spurs never died out. I still like the ones with the stars better cause they make that clinging noise when you walk and that might be cool to me for some reason.

Shawn,

I've got a pair of the quiet press 14th Century Rowel Spurs in bronze if you are interested.  I've also got the straps with strap hooks required for the 14th century version.  All completely unused.  If you're interested PM me and I can sell them to you for less than quiet press.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-03-29, 19:32:21 »

I prefer the metallic clang from separating my sword blade from its scabbard to jangling spurs in getting knightly attention, Sir William. Maybe you would be perfect for the wild west show, Wild Bill (William). lol :)

I'd have a look at that scabbard if your sword 'clangs' out of it; mayhap it has a metal chape when it shouldn't?  Or it gets fouled somewhere on your harness as you draw it- I would look to the hang of your sword; might want to put it where that doesn't happen. 

Now, if you will refer to my earlier post, the sound it makes is pleasing to my ears, not anyone else's...that is, whether they hear it or not is of no concern to me.

Lastly, with regard to 'knightly attention', I get that simply by being present.  I don't even have to be in armor.  ;)

Ulrich, you better jump on those...that's a great offer, Sir Ian.  A knight who shows such largesse unasked for is a true model of chivalry.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2013-03-29, 19:57:22 »
I prefer the metallic clang from separating my sword blade from its scabbard to jangling spurs in getting knightly attention

As Sir William said, if that happens, you have a Hollywood sword or somebody is nearby and making sound effects. Also, MD Renn Fest, home fest to quite a few of us, doesn't allow weapons at all. So the spurs are a nice touch, since they aren't classified as weapons yet.

I'd have a look at that scabbard if your sword 'clangs' out of it; mayhap it has a metal chape when it shouldn't?  Or it gets fouled somewhere on your harness as you draw it- I would look to the hang of your sword; might want to put it where that doesn't happen. 

Now, if you will refer to my earlier post, the sound it makes is pleasing to my ears, not anyone else's...that is, whether they hear it or not is of no concern to me.

Lastly, with regard to 'knightly attention', I get that simply by being present.  I don't even have to be in armor.  ;)

Ulrich, you better jump on those...that's a great offer, Sir Ian.  A knight who shows such largesse unasked for is a true model of chivalry.

Indeed, take advantage of that offer, you'll have them in hand soon and won't have to wonder if it'll be one week or 3 months from RQP.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2013-03-29, 20:04:13 »
I think I will take that offer, my persona is around that time period anyway as rowel spurs appear in the late 13th in the 1290s and thats around the period I'm reenacting so they would work.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-03-29, 20:36:29 »
I think I will take that offer, my persona is around that time period anyway as rowel spurs appear in the late 13th in the 1290s and thats around the period I'm reenacting so they would work.

PM sent
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2013-03-30, 03:42:29 »

One of my scabbards does have a solid metal chape on top that gives me that metallic sound I love so much.  ;D Of course, I also have rowel spurs too so I'm not one to talk about jangling. No need for adjustment as it is to intended design & use. Why should I not have a metal chape??  ???

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-03-31, 00:10:16 »
One of my scabbards does have a solid metal chape on top that gives me that metallic sound I love so much.  ;D Of course, I also have rowel spurs too so I'm not one to talk about jangling. No need for adjustment as it is to intended design & use. Why should I not have a metal chape??  ???

Metal throat chape shouldn't be contacting the blade at all. The only swords that should make that hollywood screech are late late cavalry swords with solid steel scabbards. A proper scabbard won't have steel touching the blade so that it doesn't wear into the blade. A metal throat chape should be outside of the wood, and silent. Or you could take toenail clippers or tweezers and rub them up and down the blade. Same effect as the blade hitting that chape every draw/sheath. :)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2013-03-31, 03:27:11 »

Then again, that particular scabbard is for an inexpensive display sword just occasionally carried at ren-faires so no big deal. None of my other functional swords have scabbards with metal chape touching the blade.   

Metal throat chape shouldn't be contacting the blade at all. The only swords that should make that hollywood screech are late late cavalry swords with solid steel scabbards. A proper scabbard won't have steel touching the blade so that it doesn't wear into the blade. A metal throat chape should be outside of the wood, and silent. Or you could take toenail clippers or tweezers and rub them up and down the blade. Same effect as the blade hitting that chape every draw/sheath. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-04-01, 13:16:56 »
I fail to see the point in drawing a wallhanger, Dane.  Get it?  lol

Fellows, any thoughts as to our Faire swords?  Think they might relent and allow them this year?

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #28 on: 2013-04-02, 19:04:32 »
Sir Ulrich,
I personally know Sir Raymond and we are very good friends. I really recommend his work, I have mongol belting supplies that I made a squire belt with and they are awesome. He is busy going to events to sell his wares but he can usually get you what you need rather quickly. You may even find him at an event some where. In the outlands a kingdom in the SCA the next event he may be at is Grand Outlandish in Albuquerque but you may really find him at battlemorr in Walsenberg, CO. You can find our events here at this site

http://outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=379

I hope this helps you

Lord Murchadh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2013-04-02, 22:36:48 »
I got my spurs today, just need to punch some holes with a leather punch. Not sure where to get a good quality one I also like them quite a bit they ring well and make the noise I so wanted. They also look rather hand made which is a plus. Only issue I really have is they leave my hands smelling like pennies but if they're on your feet it shouldnt matter.