"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Satan as god's Judge, not his adversary.  (Read 30091 times)

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
Re: Satan as god's Judge, not his adversary.
« Reply #30 on: 2013-04-13, 13:44:44 »
Actually Atlantis has recently been found. the national geographic channel found the ruins of the city buried underneath sand. it is off the coast of southern Spain. Over thousands of years the sand buried the city, choking it's water trade routes, and it was abandoned. The city is composed of several concentric rings with a large temple in the middle. Just as Plato explained it in the only known writing mentioning Atlantis.  Iknow there is a great deal of myth surrounding Atlantis, however the city was nothing more than a port city in the Mediterranean. Although it was one of the first true cities in the world.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #31 on: 2013-04-13, 14:09:57 »
CROM!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-04-13, 15:32:11 »
Actually Atlantis has recently been found. the national geographic channel found the ruins of the city buried underneath sand. it is off the coast of southern Spain. Over thousands of years the sand buried the city, choking it's water trade routes, and it was abandoned. The city is composed of several concentric rings with a large temple in the middle. Just as Plato explained it in the only known writing mentioning Atlantis.  Iknow there is a great deal of myth surrounding Atlantis, however the city was nothing more than a port city in the Mediterranean. Although it was one of the first true cities in the world.

There goes my hope of crystal-powered hover cars and suits of armor! :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #33 on: 2013-04-15, 18:42:24 »
Also to go along with Tristin...there are too many similarities between the celts and modern Christianity to not think that they in some way coincide with one another...the color schemes, the candles burning, the incense, the bale fires. All of these things are together as one...just something to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
    • My facebook
« Reply #34 on: 2013-04-15, 22:34:53 »
Many of the Christian traditions were adapted by the catholic church to coincide with Celtic traditions so that the Celtic faith could be slowly wiped out. The festivals were turned into saints day, winter solstice became christmas and summer solstice became easter. because of their vies on the dead all hallows eve repalced the holy day of Samhain (pronounced Sau-wen)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2013-04-15, 23:34:18 »
Many of the Christian traditions were adapted by the catholic church to coincide with Celtic traditions so that the Celtic faith could be slowly wiped out. The festivals were turned into saints day, winter solstice became christmas and summer solstice became easter. because of their vies on the dead all hallows eve repalced the holy day of Samhain (pronounced Sau-wen)

qft
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
    • My facebook
« Reply #36 on: 2013-04-16, 00:29:00 »
qft?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-04-16, 00:30:26 »
quoted for truth
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #38 on: 2013-04-16, 01:11:51 »
dont think of it as wiped out, but as all inclusive. many early catholic churches put their churches on holy sites and used green man or mother nature references in the art and sculpture as to "attract" the culture that they were trying to minister to. i had an "non western" history professor that went on for days about this :)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #39 on: 2013-04-16, 15:47:00 »
I honestly believe that human beings of any spiritual belief or religious tradition can get along in peace - if they truly wish it. I think that all too often when we see violence based on religious views we are actually seeing the acts of people who tend towards the chaotic or depraved regardless of whatever religion they might follow.

I tend to see this as an evolutionary process whereby eventually the ones who are unbalanced will be weeded out of the gene pool - largely through their own malicious handiworks - and those who are more balanced and enlightened will move forward in a good way.

In the way I walk balance is seen as being very sacred: Balance in nature, in self and in spirit. One can see the sacred balance everywhere in nature - it is not that difficult for a reasoning being to determine what will or will not spin things out of balance.

In my life I have met a good number of dark-siders. Not all of them are self absorbed power seekers: Some are indeed agents of a different side of nature who contribute to the great cycle of life in their own secretive ways.  Yet, lately a substantial number of the self-declared dark-siders I have met  are usually quite young and very frustrated with the world. This saddens me because I see our youth and children as being the future of this world. There are already enough twisted, angry people out there - and many of these are in positions of power and do great damage. The hatred is the worst part, for as my old Master once taught me: "Hatred serves only itself."

I feel the the best way to deal with this when we are faced with such is to educate when we can and live by example.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #40 on: 2013-04-17, 21:49:08 »
In conjunction with the others on here, of which it is sad to say, I'm astounded at the respect shown to everyone who has posted on this topic,  that a student in one of my classes said, "We're all at a campfire, and we see different flames from differing perspectives, but it's the same campfire."

On that note, I'm cradle raised Irish Roman Catholic.  Yep.  If I miss Mass on Sunday, I feel guilty.  I went to a military school, then a Catholic High School, and almost went to a Catholic university as well, both before and after my time in the military.

On that note though, the crusaders going on crusade to absolve their sins, I can definitely relate to.  To be a follower of faith, any faith, and be a hunter of men, is a hard thing indeed.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #41 on: 2013-04-17, 22:04:30 »
Ah, so now I don't have to be the official forum Catholic Apologist anymore?  ;)

I'm a cradle Catholic too, with an Irish-Italian family (but I take after my mother's German family)

Concerning Church and pagan holidays on the same day, it really makes sense. You see, when you don't have a specific day for events, (though Christmas got Dec 25th because it was 9 months after the annunciation.) or Saints days to assign, if you will, then why not tailor them to include the local populace? The Church believes that Christ died to save all peoples. And saw nothing wrong with adapting to the local practices of a place to make conversion easier. This is why even today there are a multitude of regional variants within just the Catholic Church, all in communion with Rome.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
    • My facebook
« Reply #42 on: 2013-04-17, 22:16:13 »
 I by no means mean to offend or start a religious argument. My point was to simply show how Celtic faith was waned, right or wrong. As far as creating dates for holidays to coincide with other religions to ease conversion, well I will leave that one alone too. My faith prohibits me from converting someone to it. You want to know about my faith, you ask, and i will tell you what you want to know,  I will never tell you you are wrong or try to convince you your beliefs are maligned.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #43 on: 2013-04-17, 22:32:26 »
Lord Tristin,

I'm sure I speak for most of us, by no means do I feel you could be starting a religious argument.  It's much the same as the trinity being conveyed in the shamrock, or our (Catholics) rosary in conjunction with eastern religions' (I believe Taoism, Zen, and Buddhism all) prayer beads.

I'm a huge fan of looking into "myth" as it is described in anthropology.  Be it Catholic, Protestant, Celtic-druidism, Agnostics, Islam, paganism (both neo and classic) or Eastern faiths.  All of them are interesting and deserve respect in their own right.  Celtic druidism especially as my whole family is Irish or Scot, gaelic one and all. 

Sir Nathan, I think you'd still have the "official forum Catholic Apologist" if by any means given through seniority ;)  that and after all I've been through, and all I've seen.  I'm a believer in Faith, any and all Faith.  I personally believe as Catholics do, but I definitely have some animosity towards my personal faith as well.

Lord Tristin, I personally would love to talk with you either in PM or even on these boards (if allowed as it does deal with knightly virtues heavily [Cu'chulainn and Morgan are great examples]) and I'm always willing to learn more.  Please don't take anything I've said as malice, as that is the opposite of my intentions.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-17, 22:32:54 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #44 on: 2013-04-17, 23:36:59 »

I'm a cradle Catholic too, with an Irish-Italian family (but I take after my mother's German family)

Irish-Italian?  You must have a good temper on ya with a bloodline like that laddie!   ;) :)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf