Main > The Round Table

Mistaken identity

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Edward:
Yes, I've read elsewhere that he had promised during his years in the holy land that he would one day take the Templar vows. On his deathbed, he finally chose to do so. This required relinquishing his marriage, and his wife agreed to let him go at that point. I hadn't heard anything him supposedly being excommunicated.

Sir William:
Well, he was cursed by a Welsh bishop who probably argued for the Marshal's excommunication, but as Sir Edward said- I have not read anything that gives this notion weight.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Well, he was cursed by a Welsh bishop who probably argued for the Marshal's excommunication, but as Sir Edward said- I have not read anything that gives this notion weight.
--- End quote ---

Quite funny that I am reading this post and I am re reading a book on Sir William Marshall.  Nope I did not come across any reference or record stating the Marshall being excommunicated. 

--- Quote ---I've read elsewhere that he had promised during his years in the holy land that he would one day take the Templar vows. On his deathbed, he finally chose to do so. This required relinquishing his marriage, and his wife agreed to let him go at that point.
--- End quote ---

I read that and I was blown away at how understanding she was of her husband's wishes. 

But I do agree that the article does bring out the complications of identity.  However I can say that it does point out past mistakes and raises new questions. 

Sir William:
Which book on the Marshal, Joshua?

Joshua Santana:
"William Marshal: Knight Errant, Baron, and Regent of England" by Sidney Painter.  I found this in the library if Kean University.  I was also able to find a copy of "William Marshal: The Flower of Chivalry" by Georges Duby.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version