"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Eye dominance and fighting.  (Read 16096 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Eye dominance and fighting.
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-05, 04:30:23 »
Thank you for your testimonies, good Sirs.  :)
And do not think that I see not through your ploy, Lord Dane, a wily opponent as you are, seeking to exploit my diabetes to your advantage with newfangled candy weapons!  ;) 

"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-05, 18:07:26 »
seeking to exploit my diabetes to your advantage with newfangled candy weapons!  ;)

lol!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-05, 18:53:42 »
An excellent riposte, Sir Nathan.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #18 on: 2013-03-05, 23:30:39 »
An excellent riposte, Sir Nathan.

Yum!! Yum!! Butter-Nubs. Come on Sir Nathan. You know you want some. Cave into temptation.  :P Mmmmmm so tasty.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #19 on: 2013-03-07, 20:31:47 »
*uses insulin potion. Gains immunity to candy for the period of active effect.*
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-03-07, 21:27:09 »
newfangled candy weapons!  ;)

Okay, now that it's in my head ... we had candy necklaces as a kid. We have 3 foot long gummy worms. And 10 pound gummy bears.

Somebody step up and make candy weapons!

Re: Eye dominance and fighting - I think the rifle one makes sense, since you close one eye when sighting to shoot. I think. I do that with a bow, so I guess a rifle is the same. For martial arts, I'd say it's a lot less likely to affect so greatly, unless it messes with depth perception.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2013-03-08, 04:53:57 »
i fight with my eyes closed and screaming like a lil girl

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #22 on: 2013-03-08, 16:48:51 »
This entire subject got me thinking and I will say this. 

Eye dominance is subjective to one thing only.  How you can focus sight and attention to a single point.  Whether it be right eye or left eye, it boils down to the level of concentration and attention.  At times when I bout, I focus straight forward in spite of the fact my right eye is stronger than my left eye.  This has come from my training where I would make my sword cuts against a reflection of myself (in front of the TV, turned off) and I would slowly let my eyes and mind process the cut or thrust or technique I would perform. Slowly progressing with more speed as to allow the muscle memory and visual memory work together.  I suggest Thoresteinn that you give it a try and let me know. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-03-08, 20:27:11 »
I forgot to say I'm astigmatic and have eye convergence issues.

They are both mild enough I can filter them out with my glasses correcting for one or the other, but when I fight I'm not wearing glasses. The pic below hopefully shows what I see like without my glasses. This may have been caused by head trauma some 25 years back.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2013-03-08, 20:42:21 »

They are both mild enough I can filter them out with my glasses correcting for one or the other, but when I fight I'm not wearing glasses. The pic below hopefully shows what I see like without my glasses. This may have been caused by head trauma some 25 years back.

Have you consulted an eye doctor about correcting your acuity via any procedure??

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2013-03-08, 20:54:25 »
Astigmatism shouldn't matter either, since that's a focal-depth issue that tends to get buried in the overall blurriness in your vision. (for those wondering-- it's a cylindrical distortion in the lens that means that the vertical blur and horizontal blur are different, because the eye now has two focal depths, and both of them (usually) are wrong. That's a simplistic way to put it, as in actuality the distortion axis may not be strictly horizontal or vertical).

A convergence issue could affect depth perception, though... so that might be a different matter. How severe is it?

« Last Edit: 2013-03-08, 20:54:40 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2013-03-08, 21:15:52 »
Astigmatism shouldn't matter either, since that's a focal-depth issue that tends to get buried in the overall blurriness in your vision. (for those wondering-- it's a cylindrical distortion in the lens that means that the vertical blur and horizontal blur are different, because the eye now has two focal depths, and both of them (usually) are wrong. That's a simplistic way to put it, as in actuality the distortion axis may not be strictly horizontal or vertical).

A convergence issue could affect depth perception, though... so that might be a different matter. How severe is it?

Yeah, what he said. LOL   ::)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-08, 21:16:20 by Lord Dane »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-03-08, 22:38:25 »

Go for the middle; better chance at hitting "both" of them.  Or go all Doc Holliday and pull out two swords...one for each of'm.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-08, 22:38:51 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #28 on: 2013-03-12, 15:29:14 »

Agreed. 

Go for the middle; better chance at hitting "both" of them.  Or go all Doc Holliday and pull out two swords...one for each of'm.  ;)

In that case, draw both swords out and say: "I will have to kill both of you."
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Lord Tristin

• Forum Member
  • Always strive to better yourself.
    • My facebook
« Reply #29 on: 2013-04-10, 22:16:22 »
Sir Nathan, I agree wholeheartedly. De-fanging the snake is the most practical measure in fighting an opponent with a large heavy hitting weapon. strikes to the wrist or hand cause your opponent to drop their weapon, and you really don't need to hit very hard to do it.

As far as eyes are concerned, watching your opponents hips is ideal, they have to move them to attack or defend. Again you shouldn't focus on any particular part of their body all the time.  I speak from my personal experiance though and  Iam sure some of the Knights here have more combat experience than I.