"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: message from AA from Christian Tobler  (Read 8726 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
message from AA from Christian Tobler
« on: 2012-12-08, 21:44:41 »
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157458
Greetings to all,

As many of you may be aware, some of Freelance Academy Press’ authors have been involved in a dispute with a previous publisher, Chivalry Bookshelf. The community will be pleased to know that these authors and Chivalry Bookshelf have reached a mutual agreement that resolved all remaining issues. As part of that agreement, ownership of all the authors’ intellectual property as well as the remaining stock of each of the authors’ books has been transferred to the respective authors.

At the authors’ request Freelance Academy Press is pleased act as the sole broker, until supplies run out, of the remaining stock of the following, limited edition titles:

These books are new and in perfect condition. Although these titles were originally published by Chivalry Bookshelf, there is no longer any affiliation between the authors and Chivalry Bookshelf and all proceeds of the sale of these books will go directly to its author as part of the settlement. These books represent some of the seminal modern research into western martial arts and European martial culture and have become the foundation of the modern curricula now used by many schools around the world.

All these titles may be found in their own separate category on the FAP website.

All the best from Freelance Academy Press,

Freelance Academy Press

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: message from AA from Christian Tobler
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-08, 22:49:53 »
Excellent news!  Glad to hear this has finally been resolved.  Time to go buy some books!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-09, 00:04:01 »
Sweet! Glad to know that question I asked a few years back lead to some good results!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-09, 00:18:58 »
Awesome news!

I *highly* recommend "In Service of the Duke", as that's a phenomenal price for this enormous book. It's a leather bound, heirloom-quality book, printed with high-quality glossy archival pages. It's a whopping 15.6 x 13.2 inches in size, and has full-color reproduction of the pages from an original manuscript with all of the combat imagery. It's the closest you'll get to having the actual manuscript in your collection.

"Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship" was Christian Tobler's first book on medieval fighting techniques, and while some of the information in it is outdated now (there are superior interpretations in his later books), it's still a good one to have in the collection and was one of the books that helped shape the modern WMA/HEMA community.

I'm going to pick up The Duellist's Companion and Deeds of Arms, since I don't have those.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-09, 00:42:00 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-09, 16:40:08 »
Thorsteinn, that one question made a huge impact.

I second the recommendation on "In Service of the Duke". Sir Edward recommended it a while back, and I picked up a copy when it was available through Talbot's Fine Accessories (without putting any money in Brian Price's hands). It's fantastic! The artwork is amazing, both in size and clarity of print.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-09, 23:10:20 »
It's good that they got all their stuff back.

Now perhaps I'll get my signed copy of Fighting with the German Longsword. That would be sweet! :)
« Last Edit: 2012-12-10, 04:08:50 by Hersir Thorsteinn »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-10, 00:02:19 »
Yes, In Service is an awesome book!  Like Sir James I acquired mine when Dr. Strong (Talbot) had a few for sale.  I've got Fighting with the German Longsword on the Christmas list now!
My Pinterest

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-11, 00:13:31 »
Greg Mele posted up on the fun he's had on this.

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157588

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-11, 02:57:57 »
The Murdock / Adkins allegations are troubling to say the least. People came out of the woodwork to vouch for him.  I'm interested to hear his response. As for now, revival.us is still on the "do not patronize" list until further notice.  Seems better to just stay away forever...

In other news, a guilt-free copy of Fighting With the German Longsword should be on its way to my house right about now!
My Pinterest

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #9 on: 2013-01-18, 20:31:58 »
This is indeed excellent news, now I can buy Deeds of Arms!   ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-01-18, 21:01:07 »
I need to pick up a copy of In Service as well...heard good things, and not just on here!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Hrolfr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: 2013-03-29, 00:08:49 »

I second the recommendation on "In Service of the Duke". Sir Edward recommended it a while back, and I picked up a copy when it was available through Talbot's Fine Accessories (without putting any money in Brian Price's hands). It's fantastic! The artwork is amazing, both in size and clarity of print.

James, that is why I got the TOMAR I did, off the Archive from someone I know (NOT Brian Price).

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-29, 04:38:00 »

James, that is why I got the TOMAR I did, off the Archive from someone I know (NOT Brian Price).

Did you buy it a few months ago? I was eyeballing one of them and curious about it's content, regardless of the fact it was partially written by Price. How do you like it?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-29, 11:27:10 »
i got tomar when it was new. it is a great book. if you can get it do it. it really goes thru a lot on armouring and helps you learn new info.