"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Tailoring my maille.  (Read 21716 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Tailoring my maille.
« Reply #60 on: 2013-07-31, 15:36:04 »
Tie in the back can still point on the c-belt same way. Just needs the lacing in the back. Upper part is the same.

I'd go with the slit for historical accuracy for things like DoK. Worst case, if you don't like it... sew it back up. The slit makes it easy for us to sit on chairs and such, but horseback would be another question...
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2013-08-07, 02:42:57 »
Sir Ulrich, I want to mention, now that the "dust has settled" a bit and you got out to faire in the new maille and surcoat ... you took on the tailoring, it didn't come out exactly like you wanted it the first time, and you kept trying until you were happy with it.

The motivation to start on it, and keep working on it until you're happy with it even if it wasn't successful the first time - that is a key aspect of the do-it-yourself'ers. Keep that momentum and motivation for the chausses, horseman's slit and whatever else you want to work on with on your kit. Glad to see you stuck it out and pulled through!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #62 on: 2013-08-07, 06:12:22 »
Yeah I worked rather hard on it and got it done dispite all the times I had to redo it due to it not fitting the right way at the moment I'm debating on selling my tie in the back chausses to my friend and getting a set of the new ones from KOA with the full legs, now that I know tailoring aint as hard as I thought it would be, besides with it hanging down it would more easily "form fit" to the leg, similar to how the chest isnt baggy in non tailored maille. Still debating on it though, only real reason I wanna do it is cause I wanna be able to put them on myself without assistance so I can go to faires alone. I am getting my pourpoint soon, cost me a bit but I have it I will see if I can tie the chausses myself.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 2013-08-08, 20:22:57 »
Tying up the chausses will be time consuming- but arming up usually is, especially if you have to do it yourself.  I completely understand...sometimes I'm solo as well so I've gone w/out pieces of my kit that I couldn't get on myself.  I'm also impatient so...there's that.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€