"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: New Coat of Arms  (Read 12942 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New Coat of Arms
« on: 2013-02-12, 01:58:00 »

I been designing various different coat of arms. Sticking to my red and black heraldry colors however. I am rather unsure of what one to pick. I did put the Teutonic knight cross in the quartered one which I think looks better than the rest. The halved one looks rather nice too IMO. I did put the sun in it because my family coat of arms crest has that in it. Not sure what one to pick though.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-12, 02:50:39 »

I am going with this one. I decided a red sun doesnt look right but when I use a metal color it looks better especially against the black. I decided to add a metal color to the cross again so it looks more legit rather than being something that looks incomplete. Only 2 colors makes it look rather... bland. But for clothing 2 colors are fine, shields with designs not so much.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-12, 04:37:11 »
Posted on FB too, but yep, that last one with the gold suns looks best.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-12, 15:03:35 »
Ahhh...the Roman style sun.  I like it...don't know what it means, have you worked out the blazon yet, Ulrich?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-12, 16:00:49 »

The most recent one works the best with the heraldry rules, as the others all had color on color. Remember, black is a color (though some groups will sort of treat it like it can sometimes be a metal, but that's not really correct).

As I was saying on facebook, technically the crosses should be "sable, fimbriated argent" so that they don't have color on color. The outer black line on them would not be part of the official heraldry, to make this work, but sometimes people leave a black outline anyway just to make the charge more visible distinct, or because that's how they find the clip-art. I'd probably make it a thin line, but really it's up to you.

One possible way to blazon it would be like this:  Quarterly sable and gules, I and IV a sun in splendor Or, II and III a cross pattee sable fimbriated argent.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #5 on: 2013-02-12, 21:22:39 »
Looks good, and more correct!  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-02-13, 12:09:32 »
I like it, Sir Ulrich.  :D Good job.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2013-02-13, 13:06:20 »
while it fails all historical heraldry it does look cool. i did have the black and red as well in the beginning but changed it to bend to period correctness ahahhaha

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-02-13, 15:04:12 »
Hey Wolf, when would have red/black been correct in period?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2013-02-13, 18:28:55 »
Black and red together are fine, just not on top of each other in the form of a charge on a field, since they're both "colors".

The crosses having a white outline (fimbriated argent) changes them to be a metal, for purposes of being over top of a field color.
« Last Edit: 2013-02-13, 18:29:44 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-02-14, 15:17:56 »
Yeah I am sticking with this one. Even though it looks a bit later I still think it would look nice on a surcoat and shield. Now to get a new shield to paint it onto, where to get a blank shield for under 200 bucks is my question now... I already know I am gonna get a surcoat from Badass Garb.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #11 on: 2013-02-14, 15:27:18 »
Valiant armoury has done custom heaters under $200. But they r wood not steel. Options for leather covering or metal trims are extra.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-02-14, 16:57:43 »
Sir Ulrich, if you're worried about materials, go with wood, and not steel or aluminum, or some other metal.  The wood would be more appropriate for  your interest in living history / period of interest.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2013-02-14, 19:09:22 »
Yeah I am sticking with this one. Even though it looks a bit later I still think it would look nice on a surcoat and shield.

OK, I'll update the website with it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-02-14, 21:12:01 »
Ulrich, these guys make great shields for a lot less than some of their competitors...they've made two for me thus far.

http://www.oakheartarmory.com

They recently did up a heater for me, rimmed in steel, strapping and a guige strap as well to hang around the neck, all for about $100.  I have not found anyone who does it better for less.  If you intend on painting it yourself, a blank'll run you about $40 to start, then maybe $20 more for strapping and such.  If you opt to have them paint it, that might cost an extra $30 but that's still less than $100.  I'd check them out.