"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Asperger's for the Neurotypical.  (Read 31821 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Asperger's for the Neurotypical.
« Reply #45 on: 2013-04-12, 17:12:24 »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 2013-05-06, 03:20:01 »
Week 13 is up.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #47 on: 2013-05-06, 20:00:47 »
Thorsteinn,

thank you so much for posting these.  It takes a lot of courage to do so.  I laughed, and yes, I teared up a bit, watching your videos. 
I have one question for you:  does the TV show "Big Bang Theory" help your friends or family that aren't Aspies understand you?  Because let me tell you, it's surprisingly helped me out so much.  After 30 years of life, most of which I wasn't home (military boarding school), then 4 years of Catholic High School where I had many activities, and then the military, thanks to Big Bang Theory, my parents and family finally get me.

Also, "life-long student" is definitely I also fall under :)  my anthropology professor/mentor/counselor told me in relation to me being in school as long as I have, "we always should learn something new.  you excel in the academia (luckily that's one thing, research, I can stay focused on) and so you just want to "stay" there's nothing wrong with that.  I have four masters, two doctorates, and eight bachelor's degrees, and now I'm working on my ninth."  - as nice as it was seeing your videos, it was great to meet him too.

Sir Edward - I also had a feeling questions on the quiz Sir Ulrich posted were very orientated towards "introverted vs extroverted" as well.

Thorsteinn - I think the "frat house" that is the Chivalry within the SCA definitely stigmas and makes fun of the Knights within it that are "different."  Just my personal experience, knowing one who is very, very, high ranked and well admired in Caid.  He was the first one to tell me about the SCA back in high school, he's also the "textbook aspie" in the "Sheldon Cooper - I'm holier than thou" sort of way  ;D but a great friend.  He also asked not to post his name on here.  :'(

BTW... the VA diagnosed me as an Aspie with severe social phobia.  Ironically, it was my time served within the military that developed my social phobia, I don't make friends anymore basically out of a fear of losing them.  They also like treating me as a "go-to" test subject since I am Aspie but somehow survived and even at few times, excelled within the military environment since I was 8 years old.  I keep telling them it was nothing because when you're a low-rank, you just shut up.  It was easy for me to just shut-down.  I don't know if it was the same for you Thorsteinn since you said you served time in the National Guard.

I also took Sir Ulrich's test -
174 of 200: Aspie, 31 of 200: Neurotypical
Aspie Talent: 9.7 of 10
Aspie Compulsion: 9.8 of 10 - they also say the OCD came from too much polishing lol

It is funny too, I'm starting to see why quacks like me lol I scored 8.2 of 10 for Aspie social, and yet according to further tests, I never did count for ADD, ADHD, or ODD.  Basically I "choose" apparently  ;D is what I've been told.  ODD was the first thing I was ever tested for, and my Mom was so pissed I didn't "qualify" as one.  My doc at the time just looked at her, smirked and said "no, Mrs. Murphy, your son just has very little respect for you.  Now why is that?"  and we never went to him again  :o
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 2013-05-08, 00:57:31 »
Always good to see my work helping other's. :)

IIRC Sheldon Cooper isn't an Aspie, just a very very smart man who doesn't care for those less than him (Acording to the actor and writers that is), though I don't watch it as I don't have Cable, or a TV so YMMV. :(

See what most forget is that every 30 pts of IQ means that you really must work hard to communicate with each other. I find it nearly impossible to have meaningful conversations with folks in the 80-100 range as they are 2 "deviations" away from me.

I did OK in the ANG but I had to leave due to undiagnosed Hypoglycemia side effects (extreme weight loss & psychosis).

I also have big family issues as I've spoken of in the series as I will be getting to more of this week I think.

Please feel free to message me any questions, feedback, or topic ideas. I can always use all of it. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-05-08, 04:46:09 by Thorsteinn »

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #49 on: 2013-05-08, 01:17:23 »
I know how you feel about the weight loss.  In basic my kidneys shut down from weight loss... I had to postpone basic for a week, right in the middle and basically sit in a hospital bed eating tubs of ice-cream!  Needless to say my first day back with my new company was rough!

Oh! as an idea, what about how Aspies is portrayed in media?  For example, I have to think the writers of Big Bang Theory just don't realize what Aspies is... I feel all the main characters have some level of Aspergers, minus Penny of course.  Also, Robert Downey Jr's portrayal and in fact, the original story, of Sherlock Holmes.  He definitely seems to fit the "stereotype" if there was one.  Whenever I lose my drive, my hair gets uncut, I'm unshaven, and my room is a disaster.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-08, 01:19:55 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2013-05-24, 21:38:11 »

This week I speak a bit about my experiences in the martial arts, both eastern & western, and to why I think it's good for us Aspie's to do them for life.

Wow, 23 years of memories are a lot to sift through.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-24, 21:42:10 by Thorsteinn »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 2013-05-24, 21:40:17 »
In other news I got a job offer that didn't feel right. When I came back and said I needed it to be modified as I didn't feel safe doing the job (12+ hrs of night time driving on top of the 1 hr to and from) the offer was removed.

I hate doing the right thing for me only to be kicked in the teeth for it.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 2013-05-24, 21:45:09 »
In other news I got a job offer that didn't feel right. When I came back and said I needed it to be modified as I didn't feel safe doing the job (12+ hrs of night time driving on top of the 1 hr to and from) the offer was removed.

I hate doing the right thing for me only to be kicked in the teeth for it.

Saw the post on facebook.  Unfortunately, with the job market the way it is, they can probably find someone who is willing to do the 12+ hrs of night-time driving, so employers are less inclined to work with people right now.  It's a sucky state of affairs.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #53 on: 2013-05-24, 22:02:03 »

Yeah, that stinks. But it's better to do what's right, than to end up dead in ditch somewhere. So don't feel bad.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #54 on: 2013-05-24, 22:35:17 »

Yeah, that stinks. But it's better to do what's right, than to end up dead in ditch somewhere. So don't feel bad.

Amen to that Sir Edward.  It's truly a sad state right now.  Thorstein, have you ever considered self employment?  :D at least for me, my weird sleep, and such, it's been very rewarding.  We always take the good with the bad, and for me, the stress of the bad with self-employment gets eclipsed by the freedoms and the ability that I'm "working for me."

Beyond that, I thought your video about us transgressing from learning and approaching "no mind" or "zanshin" was very, very good.  Right now, ironically, I'm working in a group that doesn't allow thrusting, yet, since I'm new.  It's funny, I'm constantly making myself do pushups because I can't help but try a thrust/transitional to a draw cut as an attack.  It's just second nature for me now.

I also agree with the person who told you "martial arts aren't a good idea" in one respect.  He explained we think too much, analyze too much, and it gets us killed.   ;D Yep, pretty much, 100% accurate for me.  Until I reached that "no-mind" sense.  I also believe that ability may be harder for us to achieve though, and takes more, constant dedication to achieve.  I know it did for me.  It's fun now, trying new things.  It's been so long since I have.  I've been playing piano at a concert level, for well over 12 years, been playing piano for almost 20.  I've been practicing Destreza since I was eight, so that's 22 years.  So now, learning guitar and trying this new groups sword work, is very very fun, in its challenge.  I'm nowhere near getting to no-mind in it.  I have good moments, sure.  But every time I let myself go, I thrust or try a thrust/draw cut :D ... and have to do pushups.

I think it's all in our personal perception of things.  If it's a challenge, and I think I can't do it, which is rare, I just never accomplish that "thing."  When it's a challenge I enjoy, I've never failed.  I think that's Aspie too.

Also, Thorsteinn, I hope you don't mind but I kind of had to jump on a soapbox for a minute over on the AA for you.  I couldn't help it.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-25, 00:36:25 by B. Patricius »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 2013-06-02, 21:58:44 »
For those of the Order following me, sorry for taking so long on this weeks vid. I was having technical issues and needed to fix them. Now Youtube & Vimeo are up to date. :D

_Thorsteinn.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 2013-06-10, 20:51:28 »
Something happened at SCA Fighter Practice, and this was the result~
---------

Something happened in my personal life yesterday to remind me that it's still not clear to everyone who isn't truly on the spectrum that while a broken leg will heal and depression may be overcome, Asperger's Syndrome or Autism will never heal.

An ASD'er may adapt a bit to the world or the world to them but there is no "healing" this. It's not a broken leg, but a missing one. It's not a malfunctioning brain like in depression but one that works, albeit strangely, just as it should.

To tell an Aspie to "get over it" or that they fail because "they just aren't trying hard enough" or that life is difficult because they are simply choosing to make it that way or or to imply that all of their life's problems and challenges is their fault, or to say that all of the abuse and discrimination they face is their or that it can't possibly be that bad is as deeply offensive and wrong as telling an LGBT person that who they are is a choice and/or they simply haven't worked hard enough to be straight and that the beatings, abuse, and discrimination they face is really their fault and they have no right to expect to be treated decently.

If you know someone who does the above then you know someone who is part of the problem, and who does discriminate and abuse people. They may not see it. They may not believe it. They may even think it's their right to do so. They are wrong.

Try to educate them. Try to make it better, but know that we are fighting a kind of war, and we will lose battles. We only lose the war when we give up.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..."

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #57 on: 2013-06-10, 21:19:01 »
An ASD'er may adapt a bit to the world or the world to them but there is no "healing" this. It's not a broken leg, but a missing one. It's not a malfunctioning brain like in depression but one that works, albeit strangely, just as it should.

To tell an Aspie to "get over it" or that they fail because "they just aren't trying hard enough" or that life is difficult because they are simply choosing to make it that way or or to imply that all of their life's problems and challenges is their fault, or to say that all of the abuse and discrimination they face is their or that it can't possibly be that bad is as deeply offensive and wrong as telling an LGBT person that who they are is a choice and/or they simply haven't worked hard enough to be straight and that the beatings, abuse, and discrimination they face is really their fault and they have no right to expect to be treated decently.

To be fair, there are several kinds of depression, and some of them are just as permanent. Others are more temporary, and many are in between in that recovery is possible, but with an inherent risk and life-long awareness being required to keep it from repeating. But a lot of the difference comes from most forms of depression being self-inflicted. The more severe cases can be completely neurological in nature, but many are just a matter of how you've trained your brain to work. (Being a survivor, in a way I actually have a little less patience for depression just because of how much of my recovery involved coming to the realization of how self-inflicted it was in the first place).

Anyway, that's just an aside. The "get over it" sort of approach doesn't work with any mental condition any better than it does with an amputation. That is completely true. To simply say "you're not trying hard enough" is to completely dismiss the challenges you face, and a significant part of who you are. It's beyond insensitive, and can be very destructive to people who are fighting such demons.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #58 on: 2013-06-12, 10:08:30 »

To be fair, there are several kinds of depression, and some of them are just as permanent. Others are more temporary, and many are in between in that recovery is possible, but with an inherent risk and life-long awareness being required to keep it from repeating. But a lot of the difference comes from most forms of depression being self-inflicted. The more severe cases can be completely neurological in nature, but many are just a matter of how you've trained your brain to work. (Being a survivor, in a way I actually have a little less patience for depression just because of how much of my recovery involved coming to the realization of how self-inflicted it was in the first place).

Anyway, that's just an aside. The "get over it" sort of approach doesn't work with any mental condition any better than it does with an amputation. That is completely true. To simply say "you're not trying hard enough" is to completely dismiss the challenges you face, and a significant part of who you are. It's beyond insensitive, and can be very destructive to people who are fighting such demons.

QFT, all of it; Thorsteinn and Sir Edward.  I couldn't have said it any better myself having gone through what I've been through.  Recovery is hard enough as it is, and usually it's our own inner demons that can impede the way.  Having someone else be brutal and blunt can easily just ruin it further.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #59 on: 2013-07-11, 19:16:47 »
Some fans have requested I do some swordwork vids. For the WMA/SCA/HEMA side video's I've got these for ideas:

Basic Stance in 4 parts- Single Handed Sword, Pole Weapon, Two-handed Sword, Rapier (& other fencing).
The Snap.
The Backhand.
The Wrap.
The Thrust.
The Slot Shot.
The 1-2 Fake.
The Shoulder Fake.

I know there's probably a few more easy I could do but what do y'all think?

Here is where they would live.

SCA & WMA/HEMA Vids on the Aspie Sean Channel.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11, 19:35:18 by Thorsteinn »