"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: New Year, New Kits  (Read 21905 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: New Year, New Kits
« Reply #60 on: 2013-01-23, 23:53:39 »
Well seeing it is my heritage, I will let it slide. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2013-01-24, 21:33:20 »
lol that guy is ancient Greece lol. he ranges like 400 BC time frame. lol

Eh, either or, way before my period of interest :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #62 on: 2013-01-25, 18:32:15 »
Guys, I would keep the antiquity separate from the medieval when it comes to kits. You have to remember, many of our images of period armour come from bibles, and accounts of histories. Those are the medieval depictions of the Romans and the Greeks. There was very little consideration beyond the knowledge of scholars that the peoples then would wear different armour, and clothing beyond for what was then the modern day. The little idea of emulating different styles of antiquity first really shows up in the 15th century. About then you do see the occasional armour made in a "roman" fashion, but even then it's almost always little decorative and stylistic elements

That was pretty much what I was getting at; stylistically.  However, Lord Dane may wear whatever he pleases- that's the beauty of what we do, everyone has their own level of participation and level of attention to detail.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #63 on: 2013-01-26, 07:35:22 »
Guys, I would keep the antiquity separate from the medieval when it comes to kits. You have to remember, many of our images of period armour come from bibles, and accounts of histories. Those are the medieval depictions of the Romans and the Greeks. There was very little consideration beyond the knowledge of scholars that the peoples then would wear different armour, and clothing beyond for what was then the modern day. The little idea of emulating different styles of antiquity first really shows up in the 15th century. About then you do see the occasional armour made in a "roman" fashion, but even then it's almost always little decorative and stylistic elements

That was pretty much what I was getting at; stylistically.  However, Lord Dane may wear whatever he pleases- that's the beauty of what we do, everyone has their own level of participation and level of attention to detail.

Thank you for the fashion tips guys. :) I try to make a reasonable blend between the two in matching my persona/heritage and historical depiction without bringing too much notice to subtle details. I figure if it existed then, it could be re-created later to fit a time period where the armor could be integrated to a medieval kit. I'll make my kit appropriate to the 'occasion' more than the 'period' for which it is being worn. But I will make every accomodation to be authentic when the event calls for it & the wallet allows it to become reality.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-26, 08:31:21 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)