"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Scale Armor  (Read 19023 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Scale Armor
« Reply #30 on: 2013-02-09, 19:18:38 »
Think I might just go for COP which can double for a 14th century kit as well now that I am not limited to 13th due to me ditching the Templar persona. I may just make it though cause I cant find one cheap, it's not like I am even gonna let it be seen as it would be under my surcoat so I wouldnt care if it was old and used looking. The main reason I wanted scale was I liked how it looked but it seems to be hard to find here and wasnt very common in northern europe.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-02-09, 23:29:13 »
Keep an eye out, you can find random COP for around $100-$200 every now and then. I think I paid $100+S&H for mine, it was cheaper than I could have made it for.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-02-12, 15:28:42 »
Ulrich, I just saw a sweet scale harness, all leather, no rivets, for sale on AA.  Might be a touch big on you (cuz it'll be big on me too, at least according to the seller)...it also looks Roman-ish.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-02-21, 20:05:11 »
I just saw that today...told him I'd be interested in one as well.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2013-02-22, 20:04:52 »
Sir Ulrich, that Armored Surcoat, or Surcoat of Plates, or whatever you want to call it... Check out this video that Thorsteinn posted.  Take a look at the knight in the blue surcoat, he's wearing one!  Looks pretty cool in action.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2013-02-23, 05:08:31 »
Yeah, I think I might pick up one of those COP kits, only issue is they're galvanized so if I ever wanna heat it up with a torch to reshape it I would have some issues with it. Unless I could do cold working but I heard that makes metal brittle. My IRL friend has a coat of plates which I wore and tried on, he made his himself so I now might be able to make one perhaps with his help.

That fight video is cool, the surcoat of plates idea could work, I'd just need some plates to attached to either a linen or felt backing, not sure if leather would be the way to go though, I COULD always use a coat of plates kit and attach it to a surcoat instead.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-02-24, 20:16:24 »
Coat of plates / Surcoat of  plates doesn't need nearly as much shaping as a single-piece breastplate does since it has more flexibility to it. It's not flat, but it's not the complex deep curves of solid cuirasses.

You can work galvanized cold, you only really need heat for extreme dishing like raising a one-piece sallet or serious stretch-work. Heat certainly makes things like dishing knees or elbows easier, but it's not necessary.

The "brittle" of cold working is called "work hardening".. basically, by hitting the metal enough, it will start to harden up, and gets slightly harder to work as time goes on. Heating will bring the temper back to where it's easy to work, even after it's cooled off. Stainless steel is a *huge* pain with work hardening; the only stainless breastplate I ever made, which wasn't extremely dished, I think had 3 or 4 cycles of heat before it went completely hardened. If you listen, you can tell a difference in the hammer ring if it's hardened completely.

Unless you've got the tools to work the metal with, it's irrelevant. Working something small like coat of plates pieces should be reasonable enough since they're pre-cut and pre-punched, and just need a little shaping.

I'm far from good with armor, and never made anything I'd consider wearing. I can work straps and replace rivets, but that's about it ... I'd ask the guy selling the kit what you should have to assemble it. It might be as simple as a piece of metal pipe and a cheap bodywork hammer for planishing.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2013-03-02, 18:52:12 »
Ulrich, check this out, $100 + shipping and might fit you:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159902

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2013-03-04, 17:08:10 »
It is already sold, Sir James.  However, since Ulrich is interested in historicity, he would not have wanted that particular corrazina anyway- it followed the Bashford Dean setup  from the MET(which I'm to understand is not historically accurate, a pattern he himself made up) which is a-historical.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2013-03-04, 17:48:00 »
It is already sold, Sir James.  However, since Ulrich is interested in historicity, he would not have wanted that particular corrazina anyway- it followed the Bashford Dean setup  from the MET(which I'm to understand is not historically accurate, a pattern he himself made up) which is a-historical.

Man, that sold quick. At a price tag of $100, not a whole lot to pick from. :)

The "Bashford Dean" one uses vertical fauld plates, instead of horizontal. Some coat of plates (like Wisby) had vertical fauld plates (dag plates), I just haven't seen it on corazinnas in particular, but it's a style I don't know much about or see much of either. Since they're internal plates, it's really hard to tell the difference except by rivet pattern. For $100 and already built, it would be a good interim piece and could probably be resold for minimal loss.

There was a thread floating around on some forum, complete with pictures, of how some museum displays were completely wrong; greaves placed on the wrong leg, arm harness backwards with the fans towards the back instead of front, mail shirts that were on backwards; all sorts of fun little stuff. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2013-03-04, 19:44:25 »
Tell me about it; as I learn more I can pick them out but I don't know much about that era as of yet...was just going off the comments made on that thread by people I consider more knowledgeable than myself w/regard to that period in time.  You're right tho, at that price and already built can't be beat.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2013-03-08, 11:47:26 »
That sold so quickly I couldnt even pick it up. It prolly would of fit me too..