"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: New shoes  (Read 4072 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New shoes
« on: 2013-02-09, 19:10:45 »
Well, considering I had a huge problem with maille chausses at DoK, I am considering getting new shoes from viking leathercrafts. I may just go with natural colored leather so I can dye them whatever color I want, I am getting he lugged soles because that will solve my issue with the chausses probably by lacing them between the cracks. Also another reason I want new ones is because my old ones are pointed, the point sorta screwed with my really wide feet as my toes were numb for weeks after wearing them for 2 days at DoK. The 12th century ones seem wider than the 13th and 14th century so I may go with those just for that reason. Only issue is they dont come in black, so thus I should go for natural so I can dye it whatever color I want, or just go with a natural brown color because black didnt exist till the 14th century in Europe. Does anyone got any expierence with the 12th century ones and they LOOK wider, I just want to know if thats just the picture. I dont want to end up with numb big toes again due to them being too pointed.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New shoes
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-09, 23:33:27 »
Talk to Frank at Viking Leather. He'll point you in the right direction. I've talked to him a couple times, but all the stuff I have from him is 14th century, so I don't have any feedback for the 12th century.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-10, 01:25:43 »
Viking Leather is good. I'm also a fan of Amlann & Bohemond.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-10, 21:07:10 »
I mailed him, he said he could get lugged soles attached to my old shoes and get them stretched out if I mail them back to him. I think I am gonna go for it, but I do want another pair in natural leather color because I kinda like the way it looked IRL when I saw it. Glad he's that helpful, I always had trouble finding shoes I liked and his stuff wasnt bad at all unlike the MRL shoes and GDFB shoes I wore which HURT... Only issue I really had was the pointed toes causing my toes to go numb..

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-11, 00:29:08 »
Cool, yeah, Frank is a good guy that does good work. He'll get you set up.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-02-12, 15:22:46 »
Most medieval shoes are tight at first, until you get them broken in.  I think this has to do with the fact that 'rigid' materials aren't used, like plastics, hard rubber and metals in modern shoes.

Frank at VL is a joy to work with- I have these (in dark brown though):

- and they were more comfortable than I expected, but I also got mine with the heavy leather sole instead of vibram or lugged so I'm going to get a pair done up like that.  For the price, you simply cannot beat it!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2013-02-12, 21:43:05 »
Think I might go for another pair of them. Not sure what color but I DO like the natural leather color so that could work. Just need to get a few cuts in them so I can lace them directly to my shoes to prevent them from going undone.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-02-13, 15:14:18 »
Ulrich, be prepared- these shoes are sturdy, but once you cut into them and lace your chausses to them keep an eye out- I don't know how tough the leather is at that part of the shoe.  You might even want to mention to Frank that you plan on lacing your chausses to them, he might have some pointers on how to best do that. 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-02-13, 16:44:20 »
Think I might go for another pair of them. Not sure what color but I DO like the natural leather color so that could work. Just need to get a few cuts in them so I can lace them directly to my shoes to prevent them from going undone.

Lacing chausses should not require any holes in the shoes; put the lace through the lugged part underneath, lace through the rings at the side, and tie on top. Tuck the excess back into the rings. I can try to get a picture this weekend if I have to time to lace them up.
« Last Edit: 2013-02-13, 17:30:21 by James Anderson III »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-02-13, 17:17:01 »
I went off of what Ulrich said...but your suggestion, while not necessarily period-correct, will definitely get the job done much more easily.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-02-13, 17:31:22 »
I went off of what Ulrich said...but your suggestion, while not necessarily period-correct, will definitely get the job done much more easily.

Ah, indeed Sir William, I was replying to Sir Ulrich's post about putting holes .. I updated my post to quote him directly to make it clearer. Not period correct, but it's easier and will make the shoes last longer .. two important things to me. :)