"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: computer issues server.  (Read 4947 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
computer issues server.
« on: 2013-01-15, 15:07:51 »
came into my office with no internet and non of the computers being able to hit each other in the warehouse. i reset the router(in the house) and nothing. connected the bridge to the router and resite surveyed it, put it back in the warehouse and it can not see the router. i reinstalled the network extender. now the bridge can see it and inter net passes thru it (at the house) but not thru it in the warehouse.

my server can not see my other 3 computers in the warehouse nor they it cause it says something about the network is not there etc or something.

help?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: computer issues server.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-15, 20:23:43 »
I have a home network I set up but that's pretty rudimentary and largely driven by the router.  How old's your router?  Last time I had a network failure, I upgraded the router (was using an old model just to get it up and running and it ran fine so I left it in place) and presto, had connection.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-15, 20:34:40 »
3 or 4 years maybe. think is i am in the hosue and running 2 computers off of that router. it just doesnt seem to talk out to the warehouse like it did yesterday

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-16, 03:15:30 »
3 or 4 years maybe. think is i am in the hosue and running 2 computers off of that router. it just doesnt seem to talk out to the warehouse like it did yesterday

I'd really try to run a hardwire if you can. Doesn't take too much to do, and you can get a really long wire and just put ends on it yourself. Should be much more reliable, and faster, than the wireless. Didn't help for today, but to help reduce potential future issues...
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-16, 13:29:49 »

Yeah, we were talking about this a bit. It started to sound like two issues, since the wireless bridge isn't passing traffic, and the server doesn't see the local network.

Running a wire will be ideal, but it's a longish distance. Ethernet can go something like 300 feet, and it's probably close to that. Anecdotally I hear you can go slightly past that distance. Of course there's always the possibility of using a cheap switch as a repeater, somewhere in between.

To just get things running again, it might take a new bridge, but that might not get the server happy again.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-16, 15:55:46 »
Back when I did the Microsoft NT4 MCSE courses (1960? lol), it was 100 meters, whatever that ends up as in feet (300 sounds right). No idea if the Cat5E / Cat6 can go farther? Probably just me, but I wouldn't trust wireless for 300 feet like that, both security and quality of connection.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2013-01-16, 17:18:09 »
It's about 10 feet to every 3 meters, so 330 feet then.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2013-01-16, 22:54:09 »
ok in talking to derek and john last night i have several issues. the network in the office can see 3 of 4 computers in there. the reason they cant see the fourth (server) is cause it had a random ip setting instead of a permanite one after it got rebuilt. also, the network is set to public and not a work group private. so its in effect working against itself in the sharing. they also think the issue lies with my router. they think its on the way out and has limited reach. thats why the house laptop could see it but the bridge could not. all 4 office computers could ping the bridge and i could access it thru them via a web browser.

so today i bought a new N900 series router. and hope to install it this weekend and get all the other bugs out.

anyone know how to get a windows 7 computer to go from HOME to WORK? i couldn't figure that out last night? Also have a Vista set as Public instead of Work

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-01-17, 03:39:44 »
anyone know how to get a windows 7 computer to go from HOME to WORK? i couldn't figure that out last night? Also have a Vista set as Public instead of Work

Ugh, Vista/7 is a pain with that. This might help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/215-63-change-network-type