"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Wedge riveted vs Dome riveted maille.  (Read 25506 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Wedge riveted vs Dome riveted maille.
« Reply #15 on: 2012-10-18, 22:55:14 »
Yeah probably could get that and it would work. Only issue is now I want only half my rings riveted to minimize that from happening again. Maybe I could talk to Duke Icefalcon about exchanging my hauberk for a half solid link one? I really can't stand the rivets popping out all the time. Solid links don't have the issue with popping rivets or sharply peened rivets.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2012-10-18, 22:59:10 »
FI swear it's the tail end of the rivets thats causing it rather than the flat rings

Post a couple close-ups of various spots of your hauberk. If it's the tail end of the rivets doing that, it's on inside-out and you don't have the domed side on the inside - wedge would do the same. Unless they did a "mix and match" and it doesn't have an inside and outside... but the tail end of the rivets (the peened / rough side) should only be able to catch on garments when putting it on or taking it off.

Also, as far as I know, wedge riveted is the only style that has alternating solid rings. I haven't seen any pin riveted like that (which is what I wanted).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2012-10-18, 23:24:41 »
Yeah, thats the thing I would of gotten the dome riveted with flat punched rings as well but they didnt sell it. Therion arms does now though I don't like the quality of GDFB's dome riveted, it's and much sharper than the icefalcon. So I'd say the GDFB wedge riveted is better than the GDFB dome riveted.

Here are some pics of mine, I did notice some rings were not riveted properly and I fixed them right now the sharp ends of the rings COULD of been what was causing that tear. Not sure though. I seriously want maille with the alternating solid links now.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-10-18, 23:56:42 »
Heres the link to the GDFB dome riveted with alternating solid links. http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1413.html

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2012-10-19, 13:26:24 »
So I'd say the GDFB wedge riveted is better than the GDFB dome riveted.

Agreed.

Here are some pics of mine, I did notice some rings were not riveted properly and I fixed them right now the sharp ends of the rings COULD of been what was causing that tear. Not sure though. I seriously want maille with the alternating solid links now.

Good pictures. They look consistent, and from what I can tell in those pictures, it looks like all of those pictures are what should be the "inside" of the shirt - so if that's how you were wearing it, it was "inside-out". I'd give it another try.

Heres the link to the GDFB dome riveted with alternating solid links. http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1413.html

Man, I *just* bought a haubergeon from KOA with all dome riveted links the week before DoK.

Don't forget you can use "Fray-Check" (clicky: http://amzn.com/B000YQKIDY) if you need to. You can clip those threads out, dab a little bit of this stuff on, and it glues the threads together in that spot so it doesn't come apart.

I picked some up at Walmart a while ago, if you don't want to order it online. Useful stuff.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2012-10-19, 15:57:00 »
Don't forget you can use "Fray-Check" (clicky: http://amzn.com/B000YQKIDY) if you need to. You can clip those threads out, dab a little bit of this stuff on, and it glues the threads together in that spot so it doesn't come apart.

I picked some up at Walmart a while ago, if you don't want to order it online. Useful stuff.

Yep, walmart has it, and any sort of fabric store will have it as well. It's cheap, and works well. It's also machine-washable.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-19, 15:57:28 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-10-19, 19:25:17 »
I actually took a pic of both sides they both look very similar except the "inside" has a smaller diameter rivet tail. Not very pointed but I still want half riveted half non. After seeing a pic of Nathan's riveted maille I want it even more now cause it looks to be good quality. Just hope when I order it it doesn't have those issues I saw in the one you linked to. Probably the quality went up since that pic was taken, after reading my armory's article they said the hole is now made with a drift rather than punch.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2012-10-19, 21:30:29 »
i will take a pic of my forth armoury stuff.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2012-10-19, 22:09:58 »
I actually took a pic of both sides they both look very similar except the "inside" has a smaller diameter rivet tail. Not very pointed but I still want half riveted half non. After seeing a pic of Nathan's riveted maille I want it even more now cause it looks to be good quality. Just hope when I order it it doesn't have those issues I saw in the one you linked to. Probably the quality went up since that pic was taken, after reading my armory's article they said the hole is now made with a drift rather than punch.

Yeah Nathan's mail on FB looks great. The pic I posted is from a GDFB distributor, but I don't know the date of it. That's odd, I can't tell inside or outside from your pics. Yours looks like good quality for round rivets. Shouldn't be too hard to sell it and get what you want.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2012-10-20, 20:08:25 »
It's actually better than GDFB dome riveted in terms of abrasiveness. Only thing is the rivets come out easier.I think the problem is punched rings, actual dome riveted maille had cone shaped rings and a flat backside and was drifted not punched. Wish they made maille like that.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2012-10-20, 21:03:14 »
Drifted or punched makes no difference unless the stress is enough to physically tear the ring. It doesn't have any effect on rivets coming out - that's all from rivets not properly set / tightened. The way you'd see substantial difference in them is in actual combat where the rings are getting strained / stretched. Normal wearing should have minimal strain on the rivet itself; the ring bears most of the weight and is distributed across the whole row of rings, so strain on a single rivet is trivial - again, unless it's not set well, and the mail moves in a way that adds stress on that ring. But drift or punch isn't much concern for around the house / faire usage.

Historical mail is a mix and match of flat or round wire. I haven't seen any that was cone shaped rings with a flat backside, though. Either flat on both sides, or rounded. There's a whole lot of things that separate the mail we have from historical mail, not just shape or riveting. Historical mail sometimes had rings of different sizes on the same piece. And rings of differing thickness on the same piece, much like historical plate had thicker and thinner spots. Even outside of us having completely different material, there are plenty of things "wrong" with what we have for mail. Still a lot better than the butted stuff from a decade ago though!

I haven't seen any mail for sale that is wedge riveted, alternating rounded solid rings, with rounded rings. The closest is wedge riveted, alternating flat round rings, and flat rings. Wedge / solid / round would be pretty awesome, though.

Count up how many rivets you've lost, vs how many hours you've worn the hauberk, and talk to Icefalcon. No promises he can do anything, but he could probably tell you if it sounds like a bad batch or bad luck.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2012-10-21, 21:56:53 »
Well some dude on facebook sent me this guy over here is willing to send maille tailored to my size: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mild-Steel-Chain-Mail-Flat-Riveted-with-Flat-Washar-Shirt-and-Coif-Set-Hauberk-/280981515443?pt=US_Reenactment_Theater&hash=item416bcdacb3#shId
In all honesty if he could do wedge riveting I wouldn't mind getting a hauberk tailored to my size. Only issue is I want wedge riveted maille thats 6-7 MM in diameter as that would match my coif. I just want solid rings to minimize the amount of catching on the gambeson. I don't have a problem with my coif catching on ANYTHING and that doesn't matter to me really. In fact I can wear it without ANY padding with NO discomfort at all, shame I can't afford a hauberk of that stuff.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #27 on: 2012-10-22, 01:55:12 »
You do realize that a 6 mm hauberk will be drastically heavier than your 8/9 mm one.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2012-10-22, 03:52:25 »
Yeah, but ever since seeing the smaller ringed stuff I believe thats more period. Read it in some of Erik's posts on forums.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2012-10-22, 17:36:10 »
You do realize that a 6 mm hauberk will be drastically heavier than your 8/9 mm one.

Bingo, the weight of the 9mm was bugging him a lot, very good point.

Ulrich, also realize that the mail is coming from India. There's a bunch of typos in the listing, and communications *may* be an issue. It also says "Get special price on Tailor made fittings", which doesn't seem clear if it's a "special price" on the listing, or if they have a "special price" (additional cost) for them to tailor it to your measurements.

Lastly, period stuff was a mix and match of different sizes. The good historical shirts had differing sizes and/or thicknesses of rings.