"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Rosaries / Paternosters  (Read 7318 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Rosaries / Paternosters
« Reply #15 on: 2012-10-03, 20:08:45 »
Wait, so one bead equates to the entire Lord's prayer?  How many times are you supposed to recite it?  That could mean a pretty long session of personal prayer.

Or does this have something to do with the penance portion where you're told to recite X number of Our Fathers and/or X number of Hail Marys?

Also, what constitutes the Middle Ages and when did crosses begin to show up on rosaries?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #16 on: 2012-10-03, 20:48:05 »
Early monastic orders such as the Franciscans had crucifixes on rosaries since the late 13th century. Simple wooden crosses were more common amongst friars or monks as opposed 2 higher clerical officials like bishops or cardinals. I'd have 2 do more research on it. As far as rosary beads go, it depends on the user and purpose. I use mine as a prayer counter, one bead is one prayer so yes it could be used in that way for pennance. It is used for prayers regardless of reason or denomination.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2012-10-03, 22:25:36 »
From Historic Enterprises:

Longer evening hours means I had plenty of time to work on the new Paternoster collection.  As you may recall from previous newsletters, I've taken up paternoster making as something of a hobby. Researching the history and looking for examples in museums and period artwork is right up my alley, and making the paternosters themselves is a bit like making jewelry. I enjoy braiding the cords and selecting the beads, and love that the end result is something that was an iconic and ubiquitous accessory of the medieval period.  As with everything else we offer, my paternosters (and I use the term collectively, as I'm producing chaplets and rosaries as well) are more average and everyday than super fancy. My goal is to make them historically accurate in form and materials so they blend seamlessly into a period outfit. I hope you'll enjoy using and giving them as much as I enjoy making them!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-10-04, 18:28:10 »
Well, some must be praying rather swiftly because I've seen some manipulate their beads in what looks like every two or three seconds.  I can't get the Lord's prayer out that fast- I tried, it takes me at least 15 seconds to get thru it all in my head.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Jessica Finley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: 2012-10-04, 19:08:04 »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-10-04, 20:22:56 »
Jess, thank you.  This is exactly what I wanted/needed.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #21 on: 2012-10-04, 20:36:04 »
Yes, thank you Jessica. :) I did not look that deeply into the rosary as far the sequence of ritualistic prayers. That link was very useful.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #22 on: 2012-10-05, 04:32:28 »
That's how I pray my rosary. My family used to do it every night, but busy schedules dictate that most of my paternosters are said on my own time.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux