"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Finally they sell a kettle helm that I LIKE  (Read 6295 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Finally they sell a kettle helm that I LIKE
« on: 2012-09-09, 03:04:39 »
http://www.swordsofmight.com/medieval-kettle-hat-size-large/
But does anyone know if this place is anybit good? It's the cheapest price I could find for it and I want to get it possibly in case my new helm I just got gets too hot. Looks like it would be period for the 1200s too.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Finally they sell a kettle helm that I LIKE
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-09, 03:33:46 »
Have you asked Therion Arms if he can get it? It is made by GDFB after all.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-09, 03:52:19 »
That is being sold in the USA though. Only issue is I need it in extra large cause I intend to wear it over both a padded coif and maille coif. My current kettle helm I got has a circumference of 25.13" and doesn't fit over a coif and maille. The size large is 26" and I still don't think thats large enough for my rather large head. Problem with my old helm is the riveted maille dug into my forehead and caused me to bleed and I don't want that to happen again, it was really uncomfortable. The helm which I intend to use for days of knights and for fighting that I bought from Sir William works perfectly under an arming cap and maille but doesn't fit me without that. I still prefer using kettle helms for ren faires because the knightly helms sorta stop you from having face to face convos with people and can look quite intimidating.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-10, 15:32:35 »
Ulrich, take a measurement of the outer circumference of your head with your padded coif and maille coif on so you know exactly what size you need.  Don't buy something if you're not sure...for instance, you mention the large is 26" inner so if your measurements are over that, don't buy it.  I can't see that helm because the site's blocked for me, so I'll have to check it when I get home, but take that measurement- then you'll know from now on exactly what you need.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-11, 10:55:12 »
With the GDFB arming coif my measurement is 25 but my kettle helms measurements is around hat so it fits but it's REALLY tight and uncomfortable. I think 26 would be fine for it as long as I can have a coif that will cover my forehead so the maille doesnt dig in.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-11, 15:09:36 »
I bought some stuff from them on July 25th. One item was backordered. It's still not in, and they aren't shipping the order until it is. They said they expect it to arrive in September .. still not heard anything yet.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-18, 22:11:50 »
Well I ordered it and it said it shipped today. Hopefully I will get it in time for DoK, need a helm I can just wear and talk to people with. The other helm I plan to use for fighting, because I dont want to lose any teeth fighting with an open face helm.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-19, 18:38:09 »

Well it came, must say I am satisfied. It's like designed to fit a head unlike my other one which is just round and doesnt fit a head nearly as well. It is a bit heavier than the other one though and it came covered in oil. This works well to replace my other kettle helm, it actually makes the other one look like crap to be honest.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-19, 19:32:05 »

That does look good. The weight can be a little bit of a drag. I guess a good practice would be to wear it around the house frequently so you get used to it and build up the neck muscles a bit. I'm actually tempted to do that with mine.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-19, 21:39:36 »
looks awesome man.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-20, 11:23:34 »
Yeah, that looks like it fits very well. Congrats!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-20, 14:32:09 »
Nice find, Ulrich.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-20, 20:48:48 »
I'm GLAD they sold this type, I was close to ordering overseas to get this one cause it's similar to Joe Metz's kettle helm here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8765199@N07/7415154852/# which I wanted but I dont have 600 bucks to pay for a custom job. Thankfully I can tell this helm I got was made by hand as the hammer marks are still there and the pieces are riveted together unlike my old one which was welded together. The 2 dome halfs are welded together but they are riveted as well so it doesnt really matter, they probably were historically made from halves too which were then riveted together in a spangenhelm design.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-21, 03:11:09 »
I think technically that is an overseas helmet, since it's by GDFB, in the UK. They have US distributors, but the stuff comes from the UK originally - but without the longer wait. Win-win.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-21, 03:22:53 »
For some reason that distributor was selling GDFB UK stuff and had it in stock, they even sold this odd viking helm I never seen before. I do think they sell it in the USA now though cause I checked GDFB's USA site and it was on a list of stuff I never seen before there, including a nice great helm which I plan to purchase once I find a distributor for it.
http://www.casiberia.com/category/helmets/2200
I'm glad I lucked out though cause I been needing a kettle helm that would fit over my coif for quite a while. It is a bit heavy though it weighs like 7-8 pounds which is A TON for a kettle helm. Also was hand made, can tell cause it has the hammer marks all over it and some scale on the bottom brim which is mostly covered with leather.