"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Chalice Ceremony  (Read 7591 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Chalice Ceremony
« on: 2011-06-24, 16:06:06 »

I think this is pretty cool. The Knights of Columbus do this for deceased knights.

http://www.documentfactoryllc.com/1989/4th_chalice_ceremony.htm
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Chalice Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-24, 18:23:31 »
You would post this at a time when I'm struggling with age...lol

My youngest daughter just turned 17 yesterday.  The baby.  I am between 'freaked out' and 'ready for the charge'.

All I need is for some young one to make a comment about having one foot in the grave and you will read about me in the nightly news.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-24, 20:10:28 »
A nice touch  ;)
G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-24, 20:15:30 »
All I need is for some young one to make a comment about having one foot in the grave and you will read about me in the nightly news.  lol

Well, I think you're still a little younger than me (though not by much), so you won't have to worry about getting that from me. Not til you catch up and pass me, anyway. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-24, 20:37:55 »
Quite interesting, does this mean that we can get to do this Ceremony when one of us has passed away?  If so, I would step up and do the Knightly version of a eulogy for anyone one of ye brethren and trust me, I will put good tales of your deeds of Chivalry and Valor!

On the other hand, it does look like a good idea for a ceremony, i just cannot put my finger as to what it would be perfect for (in my mind, certainly not for deceased Knights.  Too gloomy).
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-24, 20:49:05 »

Well, hopefully it wouldn't be any time soon that we'd even have to consider what to do for a deceased member.

But the chalice works well for the Knights of Columbus since it's a Catholic organization. They donate the chalice to a church, priest, bishop or someone along those lines so that it can be used. Those chalices are very expensive, and can often be well over $1000, if memory serves.

Since we're not a Catholic order, whatever we would end up doing would have to be appropriate no matter what the knight's religious standing is. For instance, the families of deceased US veterans receive a flag.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-24, 21:30:18 »
Ha!  Catch up and pass you, eh Knight Commander?  That was a good one...need to remember to use that one on the girls...er, women.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-24, 21:45:05 »
Well, hopefully it wouldn't be any time soon that we'd even have to consider what to do for a deceased member.

I hope not Knight Commander. 

Since we're not a Catholic order, whatever we would end up doing would have to be appropriate no matter what the knight's religious standing is. For instance, the families of deceased US veterans receive a flag.

That is a good point Sir, since Chivalry is a Warrior Code that does have relative Moral and Virtue Parallels between religions, beliefs, traditions and so on.  Ceremonies I believe must have a rite of passage attitude that marks the beginning of Moral Maturity and Virtuous Accountability of the individual who is undertaking the ceremony.  More or less to mark his/her Journey of Knighthood.

A good example is the Dubbing Ceremony, sure we have seen this thousands of times at Faires, Movies, and in Reenactment events.  But on an internal Moral level, the Dubbing Ceremony is a Rite of Passage for the Individual going from Squire to Knight (it does have similar meaning to a boy assuming the mantle of manhood).  To me, I believe that the Dubbing Ceremony is a Rite of Passage that will serve as an daily engraved, permanent reminder of what I have become, what I am and what I represent and embody in my deeds and choices.  That will not deter me from the outside influence of other people saying that I am "crazy, insane, Quixotic, get a real life" just because I chose to follow the Path of Knighthood.     
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-14, 04:52:28 »
That's funny you posted this, Sir Edward. The chalice ceremony is used in my Order but as an initiation ritual into the right of Catholicism to remind members of the sanctity of their vows like being baptised & sharing in the holy eucharist.

It was traditionally used as a means of ordaining new knights into the Knights of Columbus order too, and I believe it still is. The chalice I purchased was not as expensive though they do get that high in value. The one my Order uses only cost $200.00 and is embossed with a blue lapis luzuli trim & maltese cross. Take a look.   
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)