"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Gambesons at Etsy  (Read 15177 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Gambesons at Etsy
« Reply #30 on: 2012-08-09, 14:59:31 »
From Matul's website, under the tab 'How to Order'

Payment Procedure
The easiest way to pay is by money transfer. Some of our clients send money by registered mail as it is less expensive. To date we have not experienced any problems, however this method is not recommended.
You may wish to pay the full sum when placing your order. Alternatively, you can send an initial installment of 40% of the cost of the item. We regret we are unable to undertake any work on your order until this minimum payment is made. We wait for money transfer 14 days, after that time your order will be canceled.
We provide payment details by e-mail with confirmation of your order.

So you're looking at an international money transfer, typically done electronically through your bank.  They will provide the necessary information regarding where to transfer the money to at time of order placement. Nothing on their literature indicates they accept Paypal.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2012-08-09, 15:08:47 »
Yeah I am thinking of ordering 2 things from there if the polish dude doesn't get back to me soon. They got nice stuff there and well I DO need a new aketon because my current one doesnt go down to my knees thus making the maill flap around and ruin my braies and chausses. Maybe I could get padded cuisses to solve that? But that will be my last ditch method if I cant get a new gambeson by October.

You could use padded cuisses but if you're thinking of the ones like at Medieval Collectibles I can tell you they won't fit you.  They didn't fit me either, I have slim legs so such things are often a problem for me.  You could also tie the lower front and back parts of your hauberk so that they sit tighter against the leg, thereby mitigating the flapping about that's causing havoc with your clothing.  I do that and its a lot less annoying to walk about in maille.  When I say tie, I'm talking about the inner corner of the slit at the bottom...use leather laces to tie the front to the back around the inside of your thigh.

Also, since you just setup a PayPal account, you probably want to continue using it- I'm not saying Matuls is bad, but for myself I try to avoid wire transfers unless you know who you're dealing with and trust them.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #32 on: 2012-08-19, 02:59:02 »
http://www.aketon.pl/index.php?lang=en&view=213&id=&cat=

Found this place via google. I sent them an email asking them if they ship to the USA and if they can get it in time for Days of Knights. Their stuff seems to be cheaper than the other place as well, much cheaper. Looks to be similar quality too and they offer it hand sewn as well.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2012-08-21, 15:56:11 »
Hard to tell quality by pictures, Ulrich- keep that in mind.  Also, you get what you pay for...go for cheap, that's what you'll get.  Still, young as you are, you can deal with the disappointment of receiving substandard equipment, it is part of the learning process and as much as we try to caution you from it, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, right?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2012-08-22, 02:44:32 »
Yeah I would go custom but I dont got much time so I think I am gonna order this:
http://www.forgeofsvan.com/en/vmchk/Gambesons/Gambeson-type-2/Detailed-product-flyer.html
It's in the color I want it's a pull over and it reaches to the knees so it's obviously made for maille. They also offer padded chausses there for the same price as the GDFB ones that would be longer and actually would FIT me.. It may be cotton but for a medieval crusader it wouldn't be out of place. It's also rather affordable so I wont be burning money away at the rate I already did.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2012-08-22, 14:42:49 »
Yeah I would go custom but I dont got much time so I think I am gonna order this:
http://www.forgeofsvan.com/en/vmchk/Gambesons/Gambeson-type-2/Detailed-product-flyer.html
It's in the color I want it's a pull over and it reaches to the knees so it's obviously made for maille. They also offer padded chausses there for the same price as the GDFB ones that would be longer and actually would FIT me.. It may be cotton but for a medieval crusader it wouldn't be out of place. It's also rather affordable so I wont be burning money away at the rate I already did.

I've seen good reviews of him
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2012-08-22, 14:49:57 »
A pullover gambeson means there won't be much you can do if it doesn't fit well.  A gambeson should be tight to the body so make sure he understands just how slim you are.  It wouldn't do to get a gambeson only to find that it fits you like a parachute.  Put on your soft kit or whatever you plan to wear under the gambeson, then take your measurements.  You know, length of your arm, the girth of your chest at full extension (take a deep breath and hold), same at the navel line, and measure across the back of your shoulders as well as from the top of your shoulder to wear you want the hemline to fall (or you could just measure from the top shoulder of your hauberk to the bottom of it).

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2012-08-23, 03:35:58 »
I am extremely frustrated with finding a gambeson and padded chausses, it's like really causing me a LOT of stress. Though I did find this place http://badassgarb.com/Home.aspx And they're located in Maryland which isnt far from where I live. I sent them an email about it from the pics I saw of their stuff it looks as good as the stuff I saw from Poland. Hope they get back to me soon.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2012-08-23, 08:41:29 »
Yup she emailed me back within an hour of me sending it. Very fast very detailed email. She offers gambesons at a customized level as long as I want any color I want ect all for 220 which means I'd be paying the same amount if I bought at the polish place.. She said she'd get back to me on the chausses which I gotta wait on. I am gonna be getting this from her as soon as I can because she's rather closeby as well so shipping wont be too big an issue (in maryland which isnt far from jersey). Using google on gambeson is how I found her place.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2012-08-23, 14:28:32 »
Cool, that seems like a good option. And if it needs adjustments, back and forth shipping will be quick, too. At $220 + shipping, you're not really far outside of custom territory for some places, either - just an FYI on that.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2012-08-23, 14:41:39 »
I came across Bad Ass Garb a few months ago...kept them in the lineup of accoutrements sites but haven't ordered from them as of yet.  That they are in MD is a plus...but not many people know of them, I don't know a thing about how good (or bad) their work is.  It looks good enough, that's for sure.

Sir James, since they'll customize the garment to Ulrich's measurements, it should do well enough...I'd consider it myself if I didn't already have one.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2012-08-24, 01:53:58 »
Yeah they're all custom made, I am emailing her about it currently they look rather nice from the pics I saw on here http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=23432.0
Just gotta ask her if they can be made to be pullover with buttons on the side rather than front so they look like maciejowski bible gambesons. This is a much better buy than ordering it from Poland or Australia and paying a huge amount for shipping. They look to be made of a similar material too, linen rather than cotton. I just googled gambeson and saw pics of them and thats how I found this place. Glad I did too I was close to ordering overseas.