Main > The Round Table

On religious fanaticism in parenting

<< < (3/8) > >>

Sir James A:
It didn't come off harsh or blunt to me at all, and certainly no offense taken. In trying to keep off the subject of religion or politics, I tried to avoid the example given, and "paint with a broad brush" in saying that good deeds should be appreciated as good deeds and left at that. :)

As for the parenting part, it's a mixed bag. I don't have my own kids yet, but I have some "adopted" (not legally) kids that called my wife and I mom and dad for the last 12 years. We don't send them to school, but take them to the zoo, movies, etc, and the youngest I carried around (literally) from age 1 to 7 or 8. Let me tell you, a 7 year old on the neck for miles across the zoo for hours is more tiresome than armor will ever be. ;) Based on that....

As a parent, I'd want to raise my kids in a similar mindset as myself; after all, that's the environment they'll grow up in, and likely absorb whether it's specifically taught or not. In my case, that will mean honor, integrity, chivalry, being a hard worker, and when the time comes, having fun too. It will mean respecting men and women alike, and earning things instead of begging for them. It will mean being tolerant of others with different thoughts or beliefs. Not to throw the first punch, but if a punch is thrown, respond accordingly. And as they get older, that there is a line between good and evil that is not black and white all the time.

I know some people who are religiously fanatical. That's perfectly fine with me; everything has their excessive enthusiasm placed somewhere (mine is medieval arms & armor .. and sometimes, cars). If they raise their kids that way, that's fine too; I feel I have no more grounds to intrude upon their parenting than they do mine; that is, until it becomes detrimental to the child in some way, or instills and provokes hatred and/or intolerance. As Sir William said, there is hatred and bigotry instilled in children that isn't religiously based in any way, and that's just wrong.

IMO, teaching and encouraging speaking in tongues is rather loony; but at the same time, I accept that some people would say the same thing about teaching my children to accept differences between people and to open doors for women. Or that I'd encourage my kids to take Latin classes, since I did for a few years. Or that I'd put them in armor as teenagers. Or that I'd let them learn to use weapons when they've shown they are responsible enough to.

Regardless of their upbringing, in most cases, when a child is old enough, they're exposed to enough in the world that they will choose and make their own path - religious and otherwise - obviously there are exceptions like cults, but generally speaking....

SirNathanQ:
Well, responding to the OP, I think what that woman is doing is irresponsible, and is going to have her kid running about spouting off nonsense whilst believing themselves some kind of prophet. Then again, I have some bias, because I'm a Catholic, and closest we come to otherworldly speech is Latin...

We also leave the decision up to the child. You see, Baptism isn't the same thing as a commitment to the Catholic Church. For that we have Confirmation, where at a age of maturity (for me 16) the teenager decides for themselves whether or not they wish to be Catholic.

We also don't believe that we hold the monopoly on salvation. We believe that anyone can enter heaven, no matter their creed, if they lived in a good and Godly (Not necessarily Catholic) manner. In fact, our main reason for legitimacy isn't because we're the only true faith, but because the Catholic Church was the one founded by Christ. 

I'm glad my folks raised (and are raising) me Catholic. I feel no lack of spiritual or intellectual fulfillment, and when I get around to having children, they will attend mass and I will do my best to explain the true teachings and morals of the Church and life itself. However, when the age of Confirmation rolls about, it's their choice. 

Sir Sorbus:
Yes, I agree with that train of thought, in that it's up to the child to decide for themself, when they reach an appropriate age, be it with Catholicism, or Pentecostalism, or Baptistism, or anything else, religious or secular.
However, Catholicism was not for me. The whole Catholic system, I find, is based on beaucracy.

But that's probably getting a bit too far into the religious debate side of things.

Parents enforcing bigotry is what bothers me. At that age, a child can't tell right from wrong, so it's a form of manipulation, I feel, to enforce them into anything morally, politically or religiously far from the norm. At the same time, it's important for them to have an education in these things, so that they can make a well-thought-out and responsible decision when the age of maturity comes.

SirNathanQ:
Some could claim we're a bureaucratic religion, but we see it as having a strong church hierarchy, and promoting unification among the diocese and parishes.

Anyhow, the whole protestant thing isn't for me either. Felt too much like a party than a service, though I do understand to them it's a joyous celebration to God. Anyhow, each to his own.  :) 

Sir Wolf:
Proverbs 22:6.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

stands to mean morally, spiritually and in common sense. to many people let the tv or the world teach their children. more parents stop focusing on themselves and being selfish with their personal space or time the better the world will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version