Main > The Round Table

On religious fanaticism in parenting

<< < (2/8) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Sorbus on 2012-08-21, 17:07:23 ---I agree with you on all points made, however I think what I mean to suggest is that for one to accept that wisdom and truth can come from any system of faith, as I do (which is what tends to make my Christian views so unique), that the upbringing of a child should be thorough, tolerant, and not TOO biased towards the religion of the parent, which is where I found the fault in this woman's teachings. She automatically assumed that not only was she right, but that she had the undisputed right to decide exactly what her child would believe for the rest of their life. Perhaps babies do have the monopoly on the presence of the holy spirit, as you say. But that doesn't change the fact that she has ascertained herself to the fact that she is 100% right.
People who do overbias the moral upbringing of a child force the mean of the generation's tolerance and acceptance away from that point we discussed as being ideal - the point at which the child grows up to be open-minded and free-willed simultaneously. Obviously no parent or parenting style is perfect, but on the extreme end of things, as with this woman, I consider it a form of ethical irresponsibility in bringing their child up to be overly biased and close-minded.

--- End quote ---

Ah, but that is your take on it.  Mine is more or less the same as I was raised by one system of belief (Lutheran) but I'm lapsed, and I never forced my kids to go to church- how could I when I myself do not?  I think you can raise your kids to be responsible, reasoning adults by teaching them to think for themselves- it is perfectly fine for a child to follow in their parents' footsteps if they are so inclined.

Children tend to mimic adults, its what they do- most won't understand the mysteries of religion until they are much older, if at all.  Again, because I'm of the mind that no one's really right, at least, not completely, I see no ethical compromise w/regard to raising your child as you were raised- provided you weren't raised a bigot, racist or what have you.  Naturally, those who are of that mind believe that they have the right of it, too.

Sir James A:
If anyone is right or wrong religiously, with what happens after death, it's never been proven to be the case yet .. so, to each their own on that.

As far as the linked thread - religious and political aside, whether someone does a good thing because they saw their parents do it, another role model do it, or decided to do it on their own - the important thing is that they did a good thing. To question the motive diminishes the effort, IMO.

Sir William:
That was well said, Sir James.  However, I do not think he was casting aspersions on Sir Wolf's daughter's actions, but giving a counterpoint to it with what he offered.  I'm quite certain that wasn't his intent.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-08-21, 20:32:01 ---That was well said, Sir James.  However, I do not think he was casting aspersions on Sir Wolf's daughter's actions, but giving a counterpoint to it with what he offered.  I'm quite certain that wasn't his intent.

--- End quote ---

Ah, sorry, didn't mean for it to come across that way. I was just speaking to the subject in general, not directed specifically at Sir Wolf's daughter or anyone.

Sir Sorbus:
Yes, Sir William interpreted my reasons correctly. I'm rather being the Devil's Advocate, which is a position that seems to come hand-in-hand with scientist-hood. Unfortunately it is a very easily misunderstood position. Please forgive me if I have come over as harsh or blunt.
I did try to clarify that I meant no implication nor offence to Sir Wolf nor to his daughter.
Also, thankyou, Sir Edward, for understanding the true cause of this thread. It really is more about combining bigotry and parenting, with religion as the example used.

That being said, I would be heartbroken should my future kids not share my love of fantasy. People who enjoy fantasy tend to be more agreeable, on the most part. I think that primitive (Perhaps not the right word? I mean the very stereotype Arthurian tales.) fantasy seems to subtly teach morals through their often often-the-top good and evil characters. I also think that, particularly for children with Asperger's as I was, it very cleanly defines that line between good and evil, rather than the added emotional complication of grey areas and over-rebellious anti-heroes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version