"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Knight for Hire  (Read 13480 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Knight for Hire
« Reply #15 on: 2010-11-06, 14:11:34 »
Well, I heard back from him. He said he looked over the website, etc. Very devoutly religious, as he described it over several paragraphs. Nothing wrong with that of course, just was surprised at the emphasis in reply to my casual inquiry. Haven't seen him sign up for the forum though.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-10, 19:38:13 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2010-11-08, 03:09:11 »
Re: highlander, McLeod actually started with a generically scottish style sword. Ramirez, his "trainer"/friend, had the katana made by Masamune at some point, I believe he married Masamune's daughter? At some point in the story, Ramirez dies, and McLeod takes up the katana as his weapon of choice. It's a bit ironic, as throughout the training sequences, McLeod is showing flailing about in the "typical" scottish barbarianish style we're used to seeing, and Ramirez tells him he's "no more effective than a small child" (or something to that effect).

I do agree that we are mostly talking titles, and if there's no legal reason we can't call ourselves a knight, it's up to us to do so if we choose. I'd feel a bit more special if someone else conferred it to me. I was knighted at Medieval Times for my 21st birthday; I guess that counts. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2010-11-08, 14:54:54 »

Very devoutly religious, as he described it over several paragraphs. Haven't seen him sign up for the forum though.

I wonder how he came to that conclusion?  I didn't read anything overly religious since my coming here.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2010-11-08, 16:19:48 »

Very devoutly religious, as he described it over several paragraphs. Haven't seen him sign up for the forum though.

I wonder how he came to that conclusion?  I didn't read anything overly religious since my coming here.

Actually I meant he's very religious, not that he thought our site was. He definitely is a Warrior of God, so to speak.

Re: highlander, McLeod actually started with a generically scottish style sword. Ramirez, his "trainer"/friend, had the katana made by Masamune at some point, I believe he married Masamune's daughter? At some point in the story, Ramirez dies, and McLeod takes up the katana as his weapon of choice. It's a bit ironic, as throughout the training sequences, McLeod is showing flailing about in the "typical" scottish barbarianish style we're used to seeing, and Ramirez tells him he's "no more effective than a small child" (or something to that effect).

Heh, yeah Highlander. Ahh, Highlander. :) I grew up with it, and was a huge fan of the TV series. The interesting thing is that neither version of McLeod was ever a knight, but Duncan (from the series) is very knightly throughout, since he's always the utmost of integrity and honor, and defends the weak.

It's funny, when I first saw the first film, I had thought it was really cool sword combat and all that. Now that I've learned a thing or two, I cringe at a lot of the combat in the movie. There's almost no edge control in some of those fights, particularly at the end when he cuts off Kurgan's head with the flat. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2010-11-08, 17:14:17 »
Oh, I get it...well, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Religion and knighthood have been bound for centuries; I can definitely get behind that.  For myself, I'm not religious, but I am spiritual and my faith is nigh-unshakeable.  Easy, really...just look around you; if you can believe all of this is a cosmic accident- I have a bridge for sale I think you'd like. ;)

Highlander...a cult classic.  I must admit, the first two were good movies, entertaining- didn't care for the tv series though, or the latter two movies.  I hear its up for a remake, so it should be interesting to see what direction they take it.  I always found the combat to be cheesy, even when I knew next to nothing about swordplay.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2011-05-10, 19:18:03 »
This was probably some good publicity for him. It's a shame this news clip is a little bit mocking.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNKonP_AaQ[/youtube]

This one is more respectful:  :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCT1ioOAC6c[/youtube]

And this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNhr_Yr42I[/youtube]
« Last Edit: 2011-05-10, 19:23:49 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-05-10, 19:23:10 »
They mocked him because he was there by himself promoting chivalry- I daresay it would not have been so had there been all of us with him.  :)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #22 on: 2011-05-10, 20:18:00 »
Huzzah!  You have found my Inspiration to Knighthood!  Well Done!

Knighthood has evolved a lot. Believe it or not, there are many European nations that have an unbroken tradition of knighthood, including specific Orders that have existed for centuries. In England, they have more than one form of it, including the Order of the Garter which has only a very specific number of "seats" that it keeps filled. In all of these cases, it's a title that has the much later connotation of what knighthood was, that it was evolving into during the Renaissance.

You Sir Edward are correct on this.  This just comes to show that Knighthood in England is more of a fancy title that you can play around as if it meant nothing to you. (WRONG!)

I agree, most of the general knightings we see in England today aren't what they used to be. To me it almost seems like it's a desperate attempt by their royalty to remain relevant in popular culture. I mean, Bill Gates? Really?

Oh YES!  I mean, the men here do not follow real Chivalry so why give Knighthood to "Traitor Knights"

As for the idea of titles and knighthood in the US, there's some wiggle-room here. The constitution prevents the government from officially offering or sanctioning titles. However, there's nothing to stop private citizens from doing what they want in this regard, or private organizations (religious institutions, fraternal organizations, clubs, Orders, etc) from using whatever names and titles they wish. You can still be knighted by a foreign power, but the US government is disallowed from giving you any special treatment due to it. Royal bloodlines can live within our borders and retain their "royalty" in the eyes of the world.

So being knighted by town mayors doesn't carry any force of law behind it, but there's nothing to stop anyone from having a ceremony and using the word "sir" if they want to. In the UK I think you'd still be OK to do this within a private organization, but they have legal titles in their country, so going around calling yourself "sir" in a public context there would be a bad idea.

So I think you can call yourself a "real" knight if you've been knighted by someone else who is a "real" knight, or by one the of the orders or royalty in an existing unbroken tradition or bloodline, or if you're in a private organization that uses the title. The latter is an important point, I think, as that can include the various knightly groups that have sprung up all over the place.

Yep, we Americans have the Freedom and Right to grant unto anyone who is deemed worthy of Knighthood (based on character and merit or service to community and country, can be through the military or through this service).  Even though it may not be the norm to address someone as "Sir" but walking the Chivalric Walk is what makes anyone a real Knight, someone who knows and understands the Value of Honor, Loyalty and Truth in a degraded society.

I think what he's doing is a prime example of a grassroots campaign...he's not waiting for the interested or curious to come to him, he's bringing it to them, to the classrooms, the assemblages.  His behavior in this regard is knightly, as he spreads the knowledge of knighthood to the 'ignorant' and 'unwashed' masses.

yep, that is true.  That is a Chivalrous Deed in itself.  Educating young people with the truth rather than "edited" History.

It's interesting that he mentions how the US can knight people, and not just England. Anyone know if there's any logic/truth to that? It's a bit hypocritical, but I feel like knighting in england is mostly hollow in this day and age. Elton John? Patrick Stewart? Paul McCartney? Alfred Hitchcock? Seems there are innumerable others deserving of that honor, like the ones who perform feats of heroism and get little more than the requisite "15 minutes of fame", if even that....

You are right on this Sir Red (lol!)  The Accolade in Engalnd has turned into nothing but a emblem of moral vanity.

Well, for my part, knighthood was never conferred upon me, I assumed that mantle years ago- as a child it was an aspiration I never totally forgot and as an adult, I espouse many of the chivalric ideals and try to live them.  Does this make me a knight?  As far as I'm concerned, it does.

Out of Honesty, I myself can say that is my reason why real Knighthood is more personal than just a title granted for excellence.  I also can say that is how I also took up the mantle during my childhood days.  That is how life is to be lived, by living up to the ideals and principles that govern a true Knight

as being part of western culture, it's part of our own cultural heritage. A legacy that we've all inherited.

Yep, this is our heritage that no one cannot mess around or even destroy.  This is a legacy that ennobles even children to become the best in their lives.

Well that is my take on this post.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #23 on: 2012-08-17, 00:38:30 »
Yea, I came across this guy's site a few years back....it wasn't nearly as elaborate back then as it is now.  This used to be his main site image:  http://www.knightforhire.com/images/large2.jpg

The one I remember the most.  I remember it because I thought the suit looked grand, even tho he used a wallhanger sword to complete it.  I guess because a lot of people attribute the 'knight in shining armor' with King Arthur so why not use a version of Excalibur, right?

Sir William, I like the profile change. You either look like a divine Templar or a knight too dumb to realize your armor makes you a good electrical conductor. LOL :) At 20,000 jiggawatts, your armor will certainly be shining.  ;D
« Last Edit: 2012-08-17, 00:46:24 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)