"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Pistol question.  (Read 10216 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Pistol question.
« Reply #15 on: 2012-07-04, 05:21:15 »
I'm a SIG Sauer certified firearms instructor/armorer. Hoping to be their poster boy someday. :) My favs are SP2022, P229R both in .40 caliber.

Very cool. I have a pair of P229's, but neither of them have rails. I should have held out for that, I suppose. But I have one in 9mm (with tritium sights), and one on .40 (with plain irons).

Not only are they reliable, but I found that they fit my hand the best of most of the handguns I've picked up, especially with Hogue grips. I also like their method of "safety" for carry, in the form of a de-cocking lever rather than a hard safety switch. They're always ready, just in double-action for the first shot. But you guys know that. :)

Their engineers put so much time into quality & listening to their customers. Most egrnomical gun design I have ever held in my hand. Love the light weight polymer frame of the SIG Pro-series for personal weapons & love the black steel full-size of the 229's w/ all the trimming. My 229R has Tri-jicon night-sights, Picanntany rail, w/ an internal laser bore that can switch between red & green targeting. Very dependable firearms for handguns.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2012-07-04, 11:48:49 »
Honestly I think Ian is really advocating for swords, axes, seaxs, & spears for home defense. ;)

No blow through, no over penetration, & no running out of ammo!

Over-penetration in that case would mean cutting clean through your assailant, and lodging the blade into the wall or floor at the end of the cut. :)

Quote from: Lord_Dane
Their engineers put so much time into quality & listening to their customers. Most egrnomical gun design I have ever held in my hand. Love the light weight polymer frame of the SIG Pro-series for personal weapons & love the black steel full-size of the 229's w/ all the trimming. My 229R has Tri-jicon night-sights, Picanntany rail, w/ an internal laser bore that can switch between red & green targeting. Very dependable firearms for handguns.

Yeah, I knew yours had the rail because of the "R" in the model number. :) If I want to put a laser on mine, I'd have to go with one of the alternatives, such as laser-grips, or a laser built into the spring guide (my dad got one of the latter, and it seems to work well enough). I don't think the "R" variants existed yet when I bought my .40 229.

Personally, I really didn't like the Sig Pro line at all. It just didn't feel right to me. The new Sig modular pistol (P250 I think?) is the first polymer handgun of theirs that felt better to me. Previously, I felt that if I were to get a plastic gun, it would probably be a H&K. Glocks don't feel good to me either. This is all from a subjective "fits my hand, feels like a weapon and not a toy" sort of standpoint for me. :) I really like my steel frames. Just a personal preference, of course.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2012-07-04, 14:18:44 »
Honestly I think Ian is really advocating for swords, axes, seaxs, & spears for home defense. ;)

That's my first choice! Guns won't be of much use during the zombie apocalypse, except to slow 'em down while the medieval weaponry finishes 'em off. 8)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-07-04, 15:45:10 »
I own a Glock 23c, the one with the vented barrel to reduce recoil, in .40 and I love that gun. I'm confident enough in my skill level with it to use it in defense of my home if necessary, but given I live in the city and in a situation like that it is always possible to miss I would definitely rather not have to use the pistol. It is definitely not a coincidence that I have several dozen swords and other medeival/ren melee weapons just outside my bedroom door and at least two in my bedroom with me. In the close quarters confines of the upstairs of my house a gun will be of little use while my small falchion will be very effective.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2012-07-04, 20:17:27 »

Over-penetration in that case would mean cutting clean through your assailant, and lodging the blade into the wall or floor at the end of the cut. :)

Quote from: Lord_Dane

Yeah, I knew yours had the rail because of the "R" in the model number. :) If I want to put a laser on mine, I'd have to go with one of the alternatives, such as laser-grips, or a laser built into the spring guide (my dad got one of the latter, and it seems to work well enough). I don't think the "R" variants existed yet when I bought my .40 229.

Personally, I really didn't like the Sig Pro line at all. It just didn't feel right to me. The new Sig modular pistol (P250 I think?) is the first polymer handgun of theirs that felt better to me. Previously, I felt that if I were to get a plastic gun, it would probably be a H&K. Glocks don't feel good to me either. This is all from a subjective "fits my hand, feels like a weapon and not a toy" sort of standpoint for me. :) I really like my steel frames. Just a personal preference, of course.

Agreed. Blades don't run out of bullets. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-07-06, 20:53:14 »
I have a standard 12 gauge crowd pleaser for home defense; I consider it adequate to the task, with I hope little chance of penetration into other areas, like my neighbor's adjoining townhouse for example.  And of course, a host of swords and other edged and blunt weapons to-hand in the event I run out of ammo.  Gotta stock up on ammo.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: 2012-07-06, 21:37:31 »
When I lived in Georgia, I carried my FN 5-7 when I had to go to the datacenter at night (and pretty much any other time I left my house). Until I got my Springfield XD40. Either one would be great for self defense, but if you want a higher magazine capacity, go with the 5-7, standard magazine is 20 rounds.