Main > The Round Table

What Does It Really Take to Be Just a Little Bit Chivalrous?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Well why did you move? Was the seat you were occupying the only reserved seat? If not then it would have been perfectly acceptable to point out the rudeness of the elderly man who was apparently doing a bit of showboating. If the seat was the only reserved seat then you did what was courteous by relinquishing it, despite what the old man’s reaction was, you should be courteous for the sake of your honor and less so for the praise of the recipients of your courtesy. Courtesy is actually an entitlement that everyone should be extended but it is more of an extension of a knight’s largesse than compensation for the recipient's merits.  ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-07-06, 16:56:23 ---Well why did you move? Was the seat you were occupying the only reserved seat?

--- End quote ---

Exactly what I'm wondering too

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-07-06, 19:20:55 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-07-06, 16:56:23 ---Well why did you move? Was the seat you were occupying the only reserved seat?

--- End quote ---

Exactly what I'm wondering too

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a tough call. There's the part of me that doesn't want someone else's behavior to control how courteous I will be. And yet, I feel once they've disrespected me and started demanding a certain level of treatment, they've lost their opportunity to get that treatment from me. I won't be rude, but I won't necessarily give them any positive consideration either.

Cavaliere di Fiore:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-07-06, 16:56:23 ---Well why did you move?

--- End quote ---

Because as much as he was rude that didn't change the fact that I was in a seat that, once an elderly person was on the bus, was for them.

And the comparison to a handicapped parking space is not equitable in this case. It is always illegal to park in a handicapped space when you do not have a placard, whereas it is not always "against the rules" to sit in those seats. They are an "if, then" kind of situation, though that may be different for your transit system.

I feel the same way, Sir Edward. It felt as though I was giving up, but once again the rules said one thing and my sense of propriety said another.

I think that may be another part of chivalry, conceding when one knows they are perhaps not in the wrong, but certainly not in a position to argue. In this instance I do not believe I would have been wrong to deny him the seat considering the attitude which he conveyed, but I would have been breaking the rules of the transit to do so.

Sir William:
That's a good point...still, he's an old man, not likely to offer much in the way of resistance had you not gotten up.  For my part, I would've gotten up anyway...despite the rudeness.  I have had cause to learn that it is less about the situation and more about what's going on internally.  Still no excuse for rudeness, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version