"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: How a Knight Shall be Armed - 4th grade style  (Read 14090 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: How a Knight Shall be Armed - 4th grade style
« Reply #15 on: 2012-06-01, 22:32:59 »
Ugh, zero tolerance is such BS. Please don't get me started, I'm still in school with that accursed policy... :P
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2012-06-01, 23:39:23 »
So glad I live in the West.

Sign outside of Churchill County High School in Fallon about 60 miles away "Students, please remove all shotguns, rifles, and pistols from your vehicle and person before coming on campus."

Bonus points if you can tell me what national big time program is at NAS Fallon. (Hint: It used to be at Miramar NAS)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #17 on: 2012-06-02, 00:29:52 »
I may have mentioned this previously, but here it goes.  Within the past year or so a kid was suspended from a Twin Cities public school for having a box cutter in his car.

By all accounts he was a responsible young man helping his family pay the bills by stocking supermarket shelves at night.  One night he worked a ton of overtime, went home, crashed, and managed to get up in time for school the next morning.   A passerby noticed the box cutter in his car the next morning while it was parked in the student parking lot.  The police were called, councilors were brought in and he was suspended.

The box cutter was in his locked vehicle; he was not brandishing it, he was not bragging about it, in fact he had totally forgotten about it.  This situation was total and utter B.S. in my opinion.
I’ll never forget the day in high school (so long ago) when the morning announcements included the message that we couldn’t bring guns to school anymore.  I grew up in a very rural area where everyone hunted.  Every truck in the parking lot had a weapon rack.  You could’ve armed a small army.  No one was ever hurt.  These are indeed sad times.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-06-02, 03:24:43 »
So glad I live in the West.

Sign outside of Churchill County High School in Fallon about 60 miles away "Students, please remove all shotguns, rifles, and pistols from your vehicle and person before coming on campus."

Bonus points if you can tell me what national big time program is at NAS Fallon. (Hint: It used to be at Miramar NAS)

Well, being a navy pilot myself I'm at a distinct advantage here... but the answer to your question is both Fighter Weapons School (Top Gun) and Rotary Wing Weapons School.  I'm assuming you meant Top Gun... but jets are for sissies, real men fly helicopters.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2012-06-02, 11:19:34 »
And Ian is correct on both accounts.  :D

Had a jet pilot tell me that copters don't fly, they beat the air into sumbmission. ;)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2012-06-02, 11:37:26 »
Beat the air into submission! I love that!  ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2012-06-02, 13:36:02 »
but jets are for sissies, real men fly helicopters.

Heck yeah. Had I gone into the service, I'd have wanted to fly helicopters. They probably wouldn't have taken me though, due to my strong vision prescription.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #22 on: 2012-06-02, 18:42:00 »
I may have mentioned this previously, but here it goes.  Within the past year or so a kid was suspended from a Twin Cities public school for having a box cutter in his car.

By all accounts he was a responsible young man helping his family pay the bills by stocking supermarket shelves at night.  One night he worked a ton of overtime, went home, crashed, and managed to get up in time for school the next morning.   A passerby noticed the box cutter in his car the next morning while it was parked in the student parking lot.  The police were called, councilors were brought in and he was suspended.

The box cutter was in his locked vehicle; he was not brandishing it, he was not bragging about it, in fact he had totally forgotten about it.  This situation was total and utter B.S. in my opinion.
I’ll never forget the day in high school (so long ago) when the morning announcements included the message that we couldn’t bring guns to school anymore.  I grew up in a very rural area where everyone hunted.  Every truck in the parking lot had a weapon rack.  You could’ve armed a small army.  No one was ever hurt.  These are indeed sad times.

Indeed, does anyone remember the time there was a video on a kid who wanted to represent his class in Spirit week by riding a horse and being dressed as a Knight, later on got suspended without a reason?  A shame indeed. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2012-06-03, 01:31:32 »
Lord Rodney, that's awesome! I kept thinking I should do something for my brother's class when they were doing medieval studies, but I'd never make it through the front door with a gauntlet, let alone a harness & weaponry. Those are some lucky, lucky kids ... I hope they realize that!

And I'd frame that bonnacon drawing. That is absolutely priceless!

Indeed, does anyone remember the time there was a video on a kid who wanted to represent his class in Spirit week by riding a horse and being dressed as a Knight, later on got suspended without a reason?  A shame indeed. 

He wasn't suspended without reason, just suspended because school administration lacks any common sense whatsoever:

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/11/04/high-school-student-suspended-for-riding-a-horse-to-school/

He arrived with his parents (and their blessing), along with a squire (his friend). It was for school Spirit week. And he was suspended on the spot. His squire, not even riding the horse, was suspended too. You can't get more "evil" than that ... right?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2012-06-03, 01:40:00 »

It amazes me how much even the semblance of weaponry (including armor, knights, or anything military related) freaks these people out. All of these school administrators would fall over dead with a brain aneurism if they saw the inside of my house. It might serve them right too.

Was that my out-loud voice? :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2012-06-03, 03:48:36 »
Maybe it was  ;)   

Ahh, hell with it, that was a great post. Use the out-loud voice more often please   :D

Sir Justin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: 2012-06-03, 05:10:13 »
Wow, and I thought my 4th grade teacher was cool because he gave us candy as class rewards. But THIS, that would have made school actually intresting! hahaha pretty awesome though
"A Templar Knight is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armour of faith, just as his body is protected by the armour of steel. He is thus doubly armed, and need fear neither demons nor men"  - St.Bernard of Clairvaux

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #27 on: 2012-06-03, 12:30:01 »
Wow, and I thought my 4th grade teacher was cool because he gave us candy as class rewards. But THIS, that would have made school actually intresting! hahaha pretty awesome though

Indeed, demonstrations like this one help in making school interesting.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #28 on: 2012-06-13, 18:01:29 »
Nice one Lord Rodney.
School visits and education days are loads of fun and a fantastic way of bringing history to life for the little darlings  :)
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2012-06-13, 19:36:01 »
As with many things begun with the best of intentions, it fails miserably when applied to real life.  The people getting dinged by this policy aren't the ones it was originally aimed at- dangerous people. 

That's like the kid with the cake knife...I might've mentioned that already but it seemed to me that school administrators aren't putting much thought into their jobs, allowing policy to rule where common sense used to.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”